Question about volunteering

Birddog1911

Since I'm new to the hobby, I'm looking for ways to expand my experience. I just saw the volunteering thread, and it brought up a question.

If someone wants you to come over and hunt for a lost object, do you do it for free, or request a small fee for gas and time?

Since I'm new to the hobby, I'm looking for ways to expand my experience. I just saw the volunteering thread, and it brought up a question.

If someone wants you to come over and hunt for a lost object, do you do it for free, or request a small fee for gas and time?

I would love for somebody to call me and ask for help finding a lost object. Wouldnt charge any fee except to hunt their yard.

I would love for somebody to call me and ask for help finding a lost object. Wouldnt charge any fee except to hunt their yard.

So perhaps the idea is, someone asks you to search for a ring. You say sure, but on the condition that I can keep whatever else I find?

So perhaps the idea is, someone asks you to search for a ring. You say sure, but on the condition that I can keep whatever else I find?

That is how I would do it, but thats just my opinion. I have never been asked to find anything. HOWEVER, I have had people come in and ask, hey, can I borrow one of your detectors, I lost my wedding ring. (happened twice). Of course I usually have a used detector sitting around so I have let them. lol

That is what I have done when asked to recover a wedding band. Ended up finding the ring, accepting the gracious $50 finders fee she insisted on giving me, and ending up finding a rolled gold plated ring next to her driveway!

The correct answer to your question is FOLLOW YOUR HEART.

Some on here turn down rewards. I take them. I have the knowledge, the experience, the equipment and the time to find lost things for folks. I have even made a small business out of it and that is why I have my own website and I advertise.

I ask for air and gas. If I get more I accept. People are thankful for what I do and I enjoy it also.

You also have to look at how far are you going to travel to help someone out? If you are putting a lot of miles on the vehicle then you will probably want gas money.

It's up to you if you want to charge a fee or not. You may want a fee if it is going to take a long time to cover a large area. Most of the time the item is not found at the spot where they think they lost it. Usually the spot shown to you is where they notice the items is missing. It maybe a ways away from the spot shown to you.

Me, I try to help people out and don't charge. Depending on the person or item always willing to take a tip.

Ray

P.S. I figure I can use all the good Karma I can get.

If money is offered then I would take it with no qualms whatsoever.

I usually tell them "I don't charge anything to look for your lost item/s, but a reward if found is appreciated." That way it's up to them what they want to give me. Some people are really generous and thankful, others don't seem to care as much.

Well, I decided to throw a post on Nextdoor, and now I have 2 properties to search on! One guy needs a boundry marker found, the other is just offering.

Well, I decided to throw a post on Nextdoor, and now I have 2 properties to search on! One guy needs a boundry marker found, the other is just offering.

You need to make clear all you're finding is a "stake in the ground", and have no idea if it determines property lines or not.

You need to make clear all you're finding is a "stake in the ground", and have no idea if it determines property lines or not.

Thanks, that's a good point. He has a solid idea of where it should be, but I'll make it clear that I in no way represent an official survey.

Well, that was my easiest find! Found the marker in 1 minute. Best part is getting to know another neighbor, and another place to hunt.

I have been asked twice if i would look for a lost ring on the beach. First one had been lost the day before and i found it in less than 10 minutes. The owner was extremely grateful.

Second one was a young lady who had lost her engagement ring. Took longer to walk to where she had lost it than it did to find it. She said thanks and turned and walked away.

No i did not charge a fee and did not expect to be paid.

I have been asked twice if i would look for a lost ring on the beach. First one had been lost the day before and i found it in less than 10 minutes. The owner was extremely grateful.

Second one was a young lady who had lost her engagement ring. Took longer to walk to where she had lost it than it did to find it. She said thanks and turned and walked away.

No i did not charge a fee and did not expect to be paid.

Crazy that you find an engagement ring and not even an offer of a reward...

Back
Top Bottom