**UPDATE ** GOLD (?) RING, bullets and clad **UPDATE**

LiveJazz70

I just wanted thank all those who followed this thread and to let y'all know, the ring was in fact gold, 22Kt gold! Although it was only 4 grams, it paid a few pennies under $80! I love this hobby! :gettinmoney:

You may remember my post from yesterday, "Wrongly ousted from public park becomes a win for the hobby!" http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=110785. Well today it paid off. I went back to the park this morning. I knew I'd be digging a lot around the basket ball court, as I did yesterday, so I decided to start off swinging through the kids playground before hitting the dirt. I found a bit of clad and thought I was about to dig out a nickel when a ring pops out of the hole. As you can see by the picture is was beat up bad and looked like junk so I pocketed it and kept moving. It wasn't till I got home that I realized the ring was quite heavy. I can see two marks inside the ring but I can't decipher what they are. I increased the definition on the pictures in hopes y'all may know what they are. The entire ring is beat up. Are you able to tell if it's gold by the picture alone? I'm pretty sure it's gold (very heavy for its size) but I'll take it into a jeweler tomorrow just to make sure.

P1015911.jpg

P1015899.jpg

Question: Do nickels and gold come up with similar readings on your detectors?

I took some closeups of the bullet shells I dug for those who like them.

DSC00205.jpg

DSC00204.jpeg

Here are the totals minus the Too-many-to-count pull tabs.

DSC00201.jpeg

I'd say that's a high carat gold. Anywhere from 22-24kt. Possibly 18kt. VERY nice. I don't see a base metal and it just looks right. Congrats! Take it somewhere to get it checked though.

u might wana check into that ring that does look like it could be 22k or 24k and from the looks it might be pritty old.

and on the ringing up question. most definitly gold does some times come up in nickle range atleast for the etrac and the Garrett ace Series detectors but so do alot of pulltabs and junk metals just gota be willing to dig it

Nice! Sure looks like gold.
My BH T4 registers nickels and gold with a similar tone (as tested on my wedding band :D).
When I was a kid I found a gold ring on the side of the road that was pretty beat up. My dad and I took it to a jeweler to have it looked at and it turned out to be 24K. The jeweler told us that it probably came from over seas as 24K jewelry is not typically made in the US. It's still in a safe deposit box somewhere. FWIW.
Cool find regardless!

Sadly, what it is "worth" and what you can get are two different things.

There has got to be a place where a person can get the actual market price.
Does anyone know of such a place?

im saving up my scrap gold and when i get quite a bit saved up im sending it in to http://www.midwestrefineries.com/gold.htm where they pay 95% of spot heck even on ebay ive seen people paying at or above spot for scrap gold.

Congrats on the gold.

Interestingly, the rifle rounds seem to be expended 5.56mm NATO blank rounds. Someone must be training in that area.

Back
Top Bottom