What works good for close up pictures?

graybeard

Elite Member
My one camera stopped working that I used for close up pictures, and the components don't work with any other cameras I have. Does anyone know of a good microscope that will take good close up pictures, that don't cost much and don't need to be hooked to a computer to in order to take pictures?

What is my best option?

I just use my iPhone 6. I use about half way zoom and then lower the phone to the point that the object is sharp on the screen. I can get some pretty good zoom with it and I've used it to figure out mint marks etc.

i got a $20 USB microscope off Amazon. Had to make a better stand for it.

Date on a Merc, and some gold that was barely visible by eye.
8da48e033f97d1f65c8ad43f02bf89e8.jpg
4490ccad141778d22572900395d7b36b.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Search amazon for cell phone camera lens kit. They work pretty good.

Last edited:
I have one I got off Amazon. Its wireless, works good on my phone but can't seem to get it to work with my laptop. Here is a picture of a penny from a couple of days ago.
38ae2f1194aa30b9605e3991f69ed08b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If you're indoors and using a regular quick shot or SLR camera. Light the subject well, use a tripod and zoom. Play with the distance between camera and target. Sometimes better than the macro settings on cameras. I've had good results. But for camera phones I don't think you can do better than the lens kit the other guys wrote about above. Especially for coins.Amazon.

My one camera stopped working that I used for close up pictures, and the components don't work with any other cameras I have. Does anyone know of a good microscope that will take good close up pictures, that don't cost much and don't need to be hooked to a computer to in order to take pictures?

What is my best option?

Hold the phone/camera back and then zoom in. As long as the lens is far enough away to focus, you can get great shots.

I recently downloaded an app for my Android phone called "Magnifier Camera" by "JK.Fantasy". It's done a great job for me. Uses the camera flashlight if needed. Other features. The pics below of the dollar bill are from their download page on Google Play. The Buffalo nickel is from me using the app. Not sure if I got as close as I could with it...

Attachments

• magnifier_cam__app_ex_1.jpg
    magnifier_cam__app_ex_1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 182
  • magnifier_cam__app_ex_3.jpg
    magnifier_cam__app_ex_3.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 158
  • magnifier_cam__app_ex_2.jpg
    magnifier_cam__app_ex_2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 155
  • magnifier_cam__app_ex_4.jpg
    magnifier_cam__app_ex_4.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 156
My setup I used was a 2x in back of the lens with closeup filters on the front of the lens. I was able to fill a 4"x6" picture with a 1" arrowhead.

Cellphone cameras are NOT an option that I am looking for.

I don't want to hook up to a computer every time I take a picture.

I want a microscope that uses a memory card, so I can put that in the laptop for doing things with pictures.

My setup I used was a 2x in back of the lens with closeup filters on the front of the lens. I was able to fill a 4"x6" picture with a 1" arrowhead.

Cellphone cameras are NOT an option that I am looking for.

I don't want to hook up to a computer every time I take a picture.

I want a microscope that uses a memory card, so I can put that in the laptop for doing things with pictures.

I don't know how to help you but suggesting Google. I just did and came up with some options. The first one I saw on Amazon had a mem card option but also a USB option.

I have nice cameras with expensive glass but no macro options and plans to go there right now. Would like to see your setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, not sure how much magnification you are looking for. But I was having issues taking close ups with my phone, just seemed it wouldn't focus. I soon realized I couldn't hold it still enough, and I'm not shakey at all. A quick easy fix, is to get a pop or beer can to help you stabilize the phone.

Back
Top Bottom