Lost Ring, years ago

I drove to PA to go hunting with someone I met on another forum. I would drive to KA no problem let me know when and I am there. Ice

Cedar Bluff

I contacted the Cedar Bluff park manager today by phone, and he told me there is no regulations against metal detecting at Cedar Bluff! Fill all holes, and obey all other park rules and regulations. Daily park fees and overnight camping fees, etc. are required, even in the off-season. He thinks the off season would be ideal times for metal detecting. However, facilities (rest rooms with running water) are closed and locked with the water shut off till the first part of April.
So.. March 7th??? WEATHER PERMITTING (south side park could be rough to get to through snow.)

Dusty Eagle's Fly-in? :D

Let me check with the wife I just love hunting I don't have a water machine but I have SCUBA equipment. Ice

no water machine needed

ICE: You won't need a water machine. The lake might be a bit cold for that time of year too! The lake is down considerable from 35 years ago when I lost my ring. The other message board shows a pic. "We're probably standing on it". The park manager said he might try to find out what the water level was in the summer of '72 and any other information they might have. I want to find out the availability of there cabins, and I do know the lake has a Bed & Breakfast Inn over by the dam. It is a popular recreation lake for boating and fishing. (fishing licenses are required). But the south Page Creek area is more like "primitive camping". Could be a good time if the weather holds.
Dusty Eagle

still planning

Even though there have been circumstances beyond my control,(unemployment), as of this date, Feb 9th, 2009, I'm still planning on being at Cedar Bluff for at least the day of March 7th, 2009 in an attempt to find my ring, (and what ever else any beachgoers might have dropped). Even though there is a 'grey area' or regulations at the park about metal detecting and digging holes, I have to take a shot.

I did obtain a copy of a written statement that was given to our local club back in 1998, and after talking with the Kansas State Department of Wildlife and Parks manager at the state office, and at Cedar Bluff, I feel this statement probably still holds true.

"There are no department regulations directly prohibiting the use of metal detectors.... There is a regulation prohibiting digging of holes or pits, destruction of geological formations, historical sites, archeological relics or ruins, and the destruction of vegatation. This regulation would prohibit someone from digging up areas, tearing up the vegatation to locate or retrieve metal objects.
A conservative approach to retrieving metal finds, though would be in order. It would be impractical to say that small 3"-6" hole would be legal or illegal to retrieve a metal object where the vegetation would not be destroyed and the hole was filled back in.... That doesn't prohibit the use of metal detectors, but requires responsible use."

Now. It's just a matter if I will have the funds for park permit, or the gas to get there.
Dusty Eagle

Hey Dusty,
The seventh is fast approaching. Are you still going to try and make this trip? I just went through the post extremly quick. That would be awesome to find your ring after all this time. Send me a PM with location and times. I may be able to get away and come help.
- Dave

Last minute update

Due to the ever changing weather forecast for Saturday, March 7th here in Kansas with everything from thunderstorms, scattered showers and wind, and a few other minor conflicts, I am postponing MY trip to Cedar Bluff Reservoir in western Kansas to
Sunday, March 8th.
Dusty Eagle

"There are no department regulations directly prohibiting the use of metal detectors.... There is a regulation prohibiting digging of holes or pits, destruction of geological formations, historical sites, archeological relics or ruins, and the destruction of vegatation. This regulation would prohibit someone from digging up areas, tearing up the vegatation to locate or retrieve metal objects.
A conservative approach to retrieving metal finds, though would be in order. It would be impractical to say that small 3"-6" hole would be legal or illegal to retrieve a metal object where the vegetation would not be destroyed and the hole was filled back in.... That doesn't prohibit the use of metal detectors, but requires responsible use."

[/B]

Boy, that's one of the most reasonable statements I've ever read from a gov't agency concerning MDing. Usually they interpret the regs in the strictest sense, if you know what I mean.

I know what you mean.. I think..

I know what you mean.. I think.. and what they mean.. I think.. :spin::tumble:
It's that "GREY AREA" regarding regulations that they talk about around here!
Dusty Eagle

It's official.. I'm going..

It's official.. I'm going! :yes: The truck is loaded with my detectors, 24 cans of pop in the cooler, with detector, pin pointer, batteries, bag, shovels, etc, (although I'm NOT going to "dig", I'm going to "probe", "coin-pop", or "pry" to remove any "non-archeological find", "non-historical artifact", (but not any trolling motor, boat anchor, and even beer can! I'm looking for my high school class ring I lost there in 1970..not a fishing tackle box!)
Wild Willy plans to join me from sun up to ?????
Weather forcast there is for 63 degrees, clear and sunny with light variable winds 10-15 mph...
I plan to take a few pictures regardless of what we find.
See you all Monday!
Dusty Eagle

Great trip you have planned so good luck . Hope you find your ring first thing .

HH Harold

Back
Top Bottom