Found A Ring For Todd

scorpio264

Hello all,

I was cruising through Denver yesterday and my phone signalled a new email. I was amazed to see it was a private message sent from the Friendly Forum. I haven't posted in a LONG time. Thinking it was Digger Maggoo or one of the other usual suspects I opened it to find this message:

"Hi! I live in Broomfield and lost my wedding ring swimming with my dog here in broomfield. I was seriously only in about 1 or 2 feet of water but can't seem to find the ring anywhere I look. I try gently touching the bottom to feel for it but can't.

Is there any way you might be able to spend 15 minutes looking for it with me? My name is Todd and I'd absolutely love it if you could find the ring. My wife would perhaps love it even more. Thanks!"

I immediately answered and forwarded my contact info.
Todd called a few minutes later and told me the story. We agreed to meet the next morning to look for the ring.

I called this morning once I was up and around and struck out to pick up Todd.
His house is only a short distance away. We loaded up in my van and made our way to the lake in question.

I was a little surprised to see where he had been swimming. Colorado is odd about water. People really don't go in the water around here. Unless you are in the river wearing waders, or in one of two or three approved swimming areas you just don't see people in the water. I miss all the water hunting I used to do in Oklahoma.

Todd had a really good idea of where the ring had been lost. He layed out the area we needed to focus on. I busted out the Minelab and set to searching. I asked him what type of ring we were looking for, Gold, Silver, Platinum, big, small, or otherwise. It turned out to be a tungsten band about the same size as my own. I scanned my own ring over the coil to remind myself of the sound, and hit the water.

The bottom was super slick and muddy. The clay bottom stirred up immediately and clouded out the area. I swung a few times and got some big interference from something large and deep. After lowering my sensitivity I was able to start a pattern. I figured I would start at the North end and work back South. Only a few target sounds in the area. I decided to dig the first solid hit I got. It turned out to be a large nail with lots of rust. Set that aside and got back to swinging.

The next target was clearly the ring I was looking for. It was a solid hit in the proper range. Sounded just like my ring had sounded during the test. I was trying to pinpoint but was having some trouble locating the target. I made a couple of attempts to scoop it with my long handled digger. It was quite awkward. There was a large rock in the mud right next to where I was trying to dig. I think the target was also sitting at an 45 degree angle as well.

I was forced to break out my pinpointer to really track it down. One of my favorite things is when the ring slips onto your finger under the water. Even if you have spectators you can just play it off like you have been wearing it the whole time.

I pulled the ring out and handed it to Todd. He let out a whoop that echoed across the small lake. No doubt disturbing the delicate sensibilities of soccer moms accustomed to silence in the park. That's another thing Colorado is wierd about. You don't see people making noise. Or if you do see it, you notice it. Back in Oklahoma it was all about whooping it up at the lake. Well, different strokes. Even quiet and dry, I would still rather be here in Colorado.

It turns out that Todd is a professional photographer. He has a particular focus on music. Bands, concerts, etc... My wife and I are WAY into music. We have attended hundreds of concerts. When Todd offered a possible cash reward/payment I requested a photo instead. Much better trade in my view. Any Barter Kings fans out there? Well, that's another post for another day.

Thanks Todd! I appreciate you contacting me and getting me out there swinging. Even if it was only for 10 minutes. It was a pleasure meeting you. My wife and I checked out your web site. We are looking forward to choosing a photo from your extensive portfolio.

Attachments

• Erie-Frederick-20120808-00061.jpg
    Erie-Frederick-20120808-00061.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 308
  • Erie-Frederick-20120808-00059.jpg
    Erie-Frederick-20120808-00059.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 314
  • Erie-Frederick-20120808-00060.jpg
    Erie-Frederick-20120808-00060.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 309
Nice find. --- I use that slip a ring on the finger technique from the scoop to usually the pinky finger as they are usually that small.

Back
Top Bottom