Noob from Stockbridge Georgia

iflyrjs

Hello Everyone
Once an avid relic hunter in my younger days while serving in the Air force (retired Cmsgt). Had the opportunity to travel the world as a C141 loadmaster. I took my detector with me as much as I could. 20 years later and now on my 2nd retirement. Now with my new Whites Spectra V3i Im wanting to get back into it.
But I dont seem to be finding any other enthusiasts in my area or clubs.
In the mean I guess Im on my own. I reached out to my Counties Parks and Recreation Dept Henry County GA but, have yet to get a response about local laws. There are plenty of parks and (schools most of which have shut down again). Alot has changed over the years technology wise. So I am excited to get back into it.

Welcome from Winnsboro, South Carolina !!!!

It's usually better to just look up the local laws online and if there is nothing that says "no metal detecting" then it should be okay.

When calling such places you might hear an automatic "no" rather than the person taking time to research it.

Also, check for any signs near the entrance of the park to see if it includes "no metal detecting"

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

Welcome from San Jose, CA! Google metal detector laws in _____ county (the one you live in). There should be enough information to know what you can or can't do, and if there's not, there should be enough information there to at least lead you in the right direction. Good luck and happy hunting!

welcome to FMDF. Cal-reg and GKL are right : If you are skittish, just look up any potential rules/laws for yourself. With today's internet, there's not a single park's dept. that doesn't have all that on-line somewhere. Eg.: Dogs on leash, no fireworks, etc.... If it doesn't say "no md'ing", then presto: Not prohibited.

Because the problem with calling or emailing some desk-jockey pencil-pusher, is that they may conjur up images of geeks with shovels, and then just pass out the easy-answer. When in fact they likely would never have given the issue a moment's thought. Don't become the latest victim of "No one cared till you asked" phenomenon.

Hello Everyone
Once an avid relic hunter in my younger days while serving in the Air force (retired Cmsgt). Had the opportunity to travel the world as a C141 loadmaster. I took my detector with me as much as I could. 20 years later and now on my 2nd retirement. Now with my new Whites Spectra V3i Im wanting to get back into it.
But I dont seem to be finding any other enthusiasts in my area or clubs.
In the mean I guess Im on my own. I reached out to my Counties Parks and Recreation Dept Henry County GA but, have yet to get a response about local laws. There are plenty of parks and (schools most of which have shut down again). Alot has changed over the years technology wise. So I am excited to get back into it.

don't reach out to parks. go to them and look at the sign for rules. If you don't see a rule against metal detecting then hunt, but cover your holes very carefully.

schools are all fair game when no students are present.

use historic aerials to find old home sites that the buildings have been removed. use local tax records on line to find owner and seek permission. Lots of opportunities. have fun.

also do your research for old parks that are no longer parks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom