Camo paint effort is completed. Pics show the original and finished project!

KingTotsalot

Official Tot Lot King
Forum Supporter
Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
Well, as noted in an earlier thread, KT has managed to obtain another long gun for camo painting. It is a Henry US Survival .22 LR semi-auto. Below are several pictures of it, showing how it packs down into a small size. An excellent backpack/camping/chariot gun, quite suitable for taking small game should one need to. Cheap to operate, being a .22. These first pics are to show what it looks like from the factory. At some later date, KT will post some images of it with the camo paint. Since colder weather is upon us, KT has to curtail His Royal Outdoor painting efforts, and the Queen is adamant against KT doing this anywhere in the Castle. Me thinketh She is absolutely correct! Anyway, you get to examine this gun. It has been around for many years, made by various manufacturers. Henry bought the design rights a few years ago, and made a number of improvements that increased the reliability, and we all know in a survival situation, reliability is #1 in any equipment.

Anyway, KT hopes you, the viewer, enjoys the pictures. BTW, this was the only one of these KT could find within a 50 mile radius of the Castle. A lot of time was spent on the Royal Telephone with little success, before finally finding this one rifle. Pawnshops and the stock Big Sporting Goods stores were contacted with no luck. This one was located at Dick's Sporting Goods in North Little Rock!

Attachments

• Henry US Surv 22lr semi auto 01.jpg
    Henry US Surv 22lr semi auto 01.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 294
  • Henry US Surv 22lr semi auto 02.jpg
    Henry US Surv 22lr semi auto 02.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 321
  • Henry US Surv 22lr semi auto 03.jpg
    Henry US Surv 22lr semi auto 03.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 296
  • Henry US Surv 22lr semi auto 04.jpg
    Henry US Surv 22lr semi auto 04.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 336
  • Henry US Surv 22lr semi auto 05.jpg
    Henry US Surv 22lr semi auto 05.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
This will be interesting. I've had a Charter Arms AR-7 Explorer for a little over 40 years.
Looking forward to what you come up with for this one, Highness.

Have not seen a picture of one of those for a few years. Looking forward to pictures of the finished product. It does appear that the Royal Castle is well protected as it should be.

This will be interesting. I've had a Charter Arms AR-7 Explorer for a little over 40 years.
Looking forward to what you come up with for this one, Highness.

Yes, that is one of the earlier versions. Please tell His Majesty, have you found a particular brand of long rifle .22 that works best in your Charter Arms version? From watching many videos about these guns, some have discussed having trouble with some ammo...jamming, etc. Royal Thanks for your comments, Longhair! BYW, KT used to have long hair, but after it came back in from chemo a few years ago, He keeps it high and tight! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Have not seen a picture of one of those for a few years. Looking forward to pictures of the finished product. It does appear that the Royal Castle is well protected as it should be.

Verily, every door is locked and well guarded, by a Knight of the King! And each has the implement of his Royal Station! Royal thanks, georgeinsc, for your kind comments. If we manage to have an "indian summer" this fall or early winter, it shall be done! Please have patience!

Hopefully, KT will soon at least have a few test round targets to show the gun's accuracy at 25 and 50 yards! :D:D

Nice pick up KT. My high school pal had one of the AR-7’s. We spent a summer out in the high desert shooting that and my 10/22.

Years ago I had two AR-7s. I bought them both at the same time. One was really accurate and the other I couldn't hit a five gallon bucket at twenty feet. Same ammo and everything.

Well, as noted in an earlier thread, KT has managed to obtain another long gun for camo painting. It is a Henry US Survival .22 LR semi-auto. Below are several pictures of it, showing how it packs down into a small size. An excellent backpack/camping/chariot gun, quite suitable for taking small game should one need to. Cheap to operate, being a .22. These first pics are to show what it looks like from the factory. At some later date, KT will post some images of it with the camo paint. Since colder weather is upon us, KT has to curtail His Royal Outdoor painting efforts, and the Queen is adamant against KT doing this anywhere in the Castle. Me thinketh She is absolutely correct! Anyway, you get to examine this gun. It has been around for many years, made by various manufacturers. Henry bought the design rights a few years ago, and made a number of improvements that increased the reliability, and we all know in a survival situation, reliability is #1 in any equipment.

Anyway, KT hopes you, the viewer, enjoys the pictures. BTW, this was the only one of these KT could find within a 50 mile radius of the Castle. A lot of time was spent on the Royal Telephone with little success, before finally finding this one rifle. Pawnshops and the stock Big Sporting Goods stores were contacted with no luck. This one was located at Dick's Sporting Goods in North

You can get them camo from the factory

Nice pick up KT. My high school pal had one of the AR-7’s. We spent a summer out in the high desert shooting that and my 10/22.

Sounds like great memories, GroundSweeper! KT has great memories of squirrel hunting with my father. He would set me down on a likely spot, most often an old stump, and KT would still hunt, waiting for him to drive them to me! He was color blind, so their camo did not work on him. The slightest movement and he would knock them down with his Model 12 16 gauge, and those that ran in my direction, KT would gather with a friends borrowed 22 pump. Great memories for KT! Royal Thanks for your kind comments, GroundSweeper!

Around here today, the high was 50 degrees and misting rain the entire day, certainly the opposite of what is needed to do some camo painting!

Anyway, KT hopes you, the viewer, enjoys the pictures. BTW, this was the only one of these KT could find within a 50 mile radius of the Castle. A lot of time was spent on the Royal Telephone with little success, before finally finding this one rifle. Pawnshops and the stock Big Sporting Goods stores were contacted with no luck. This one was located at Dick's Sporting Goods in North Little Rock.
You can get them camo from the factory.

You can get them camo from the factory.

Yes, you certainly can, if you are lucky enough to find one, and at an additional cost...~$40-$50. That of course is fine, but KT likes the freedom of making His Own Royal Patterns. KT could have the hobby of collecting camo painted or wrapped long guns, but the hobby is painting long guns, giving them His Majesty's Midas Touch!:laughing::laughing:

Just as a side note, the extra magazine purchased off eBay came in today, so it fills the extra slot in the stock made for it.

Years ago I had two AR-7s. I bought them both at the same time. One was really accurate and the other I couldn't hit a five gallon bucket at twenty feet. Same ammo and everything.

That's what KT had heard about the older ones, in fact, there were enough problems that a lot of potential buyers were turned off. KT's general impression is that the Henry model has some problems with subsonic ammo, but with modern high velocity rounds has little to no problems. We shall see the first nice clear dry day. KT will set up some targets behind the Royal Barn and will run through a few magazines to check both general accuracy and reliability.

Yes, that is one of the earlier versions. Please tell His Majesty, have you found a particular brand of long rifle .22 that works best in your Charter Arms version? From watching many videos about these guns, some have discussed having trouble with some ammo...jamming, etc. Royal Thanks for your comments, Longhair!
Stick with standard velocity 40gr bullets and you'll be fine. The problem usually stems from hyper velocity reduced bullet weight ammo.

Stick with standard velocity 40gr bullets and you'll be fine. The problem usually stems from hyper velocity reduced bullet weight ammo.

Alrighty now. After lunch yesterday KT headed out to search out some reasonable priced .22 lr ammo. The big Walmart and my favorite pawnshop were stripped out of plinking rounds. Went then to the old Walmart north of the Castle and bingo! Picked up 2 333 bulk packs of Winchester .22! KT was very happy about that! Also found an extra 3 cans of Camo paint.

Today in the afternoon, KT masked off the disassembled Henry Survival .22 lr semi auto. That was a bit more tedious that first thought, so an hour passed before the gun was ready to paint. But, KT got the first of two base coats on it before it got dark. Pictures will follow tomorrow...its good to let the first basecoat dry off. Anyway, KT is off and running on this project!

Alrighty now. After lunch yesterday KT headed out to search out some reasonable priced .22 lr ammo. The big Walmart and my favorite pawnshop were stripped out of plinking rounds. Went then to the old Walmart north of the Castle and bingo! Picked up 2 333 bulk packs of Winchester .22! KT was very happy about that! Also found an extra 3 cans of Camo paint.

Today in the afternoon, KT masked off the disassembled Henry Survival .22 lr semi auto. That was a bit more tedious that first thought, so an hour passed before the gun was ready to paint. But, KT got the first of two base coats on it before it got dark. Pictures will follow tomorrow...its good to let the first basecoat dry off. Anyway, KT is off and running on this project!
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for a final finish.
Also, a range report is required.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for a final finish.
Also, a range report is required.

HA HA, no problems, Longhair! So before noon today, KT put on the second base coat of khaki, which is displayed in this picture tonight. KT failed to show the masking, but it will be obvious when the tape is removed. After a run out on the Royal Steed for lunch, KT returned and settled into His Royal Painting Routine...base was dry, so the first efforts were with army green, then watched a little football while it dried, then a darker od green, followed by drying, then deep woods brown....drying...LOL...and finally matte black for highlights. The gun is disassembled and laying in a covered area in the back court yard of the Castle. Tomorrow, before noon, it will get the first of two coats of matte clear to harden off the finish. The second coat will come early afternoon, and after it dries a few hours, KT will begin removing the masking and the reassemble of the long gun. As soon as it is assembled, it will be photographed and the picture put in this thread! After the gun sits for a couple of days, KT will check it out on the Royal Range...likely at 25 and 50 yards, and the paper photographed and pictures of that posted! Have a bit of patience and it all will come to pass! KT had to remove the front and rear sights on this gun, so it may need a bit of dialing in to get to the final accuracy test. This will not be a bench test, but a standing braced test...braced against a tree. :laughing::laughing:

Anyway, here is the picture! Certainly starting off with a different look than a black stick!

Attachments

• Henry US Survival .22 semi auto base paint.jpg
    Henry US Survival .22 semi auto base paint.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 217
OK, everyone...the project is completed. Final pics are given in this post. Yesterday the finished job was left drying and today it received 2 coats of matte clear finish. For those of you who saw the picture of the other long gun against a pine tree, the first pic here is against the same pine tree. Then two close up pictures, first of the stock, and second of the barrel. This gun was disassembled and tediously masked off before painting. The last pic shows the stock on His Majesty's OD wool army blanket, and above that the stored gun in its old black tennis racket carrier, and the carrier zipped up. That is how it will be stored in the Royal Chariot. It was a nice touch that the tennis racket case came with an od green strap! :laughing::laughing:

This pattern on this gun is different that any of the other long guns KT has painted as the pattern runs the length of the gun, not across the length of the gun. This was basically done because the barrel is such a small diameter that KT thought that might look a bit odd, even tho many commercially camouflaged guns come with the right angle pattern.

Needless to say KT likes it, otherwise it would have some other pattern! :lol::lol::lol:

It is KT's hope that you all like it too! Enjoy the pictures!

Attachments

• Henry US Survival .22lr camo in storage02.jpg
    Henry US Survival .22lr camo in storage02.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 229
  • Henry US Survival .22lr camo storage01.jpg
    Henry US Survival .22lr camo storage01.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 213
  • Henry US Survival .22lr camo close up02.jpg
    Henry US Survival .22lr camo close up02.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 196
  • Henry US Survival .22lr camo close up01.jpg
    Henry US Survival .22lr camo close up01.jpg