Lead 'clack' valve. Circa 1500-1900

Doug

Elite Member
Although I have never found a clack valve I had a good idea this could be my first.

Thanks for looking.....Doug.

"A cast lead pump clack, which is part of a crude non-return valve from an old water pump. The object is formed from a solid disc of lead, projecting up from the centre is a mushroom shaped extension. The mushroom piece fitted through a slot in a leather strap inside the box.

When water was drawn up the pipe into the box with the spout, the clack lifted to let the water in and then fell back over the hole so that it ran out through the spout into the bucket and not back into the well.

These were in use over many centuries circa 1500's to early 1900's , although there may still be a few relics in use on outlying farms. Every village and farm house had a pump or well until water was laid on to the villages in the late 19th and early 20th centuries."

MQcGmHM.jpg

Very interesting!

That's how our toilet flappers work:D

Thank you.

First one I have found which seems strange considering that they have been widely used over time.

The name 'clack valve' came about by the sound they made when opening and closing.

That's a cool find! It's fun to discover the unique history behind the items we unearth. :waytogo:

Back
Top Bottom