***1886 Indian Head Penny***

devros

Elite Member
Well I think I found a semi-key date, or something that is worth something more than a dollar or two. It's a type 1 1886 Indian Head Penny. I found this today at a new property I am hunting. The house was built sometime during the 1860's or a little later. My first good find from the yard. I don't know how to grade it though, what grade do you guys think it is. The higher grade the more money it is worth, but I don't think I would ever sell it. Thanks for looking.

1886IH.jpg

The picture does make it look bad, but it is very crisp and clean. I think it might be a little higher on the grade, but maybe I am wrong, it looks like the next one up on the pics from that site. I think I might take it to a local coin guy, and see what he would say. I won't sell it, but I do need the money pretty bad. But it's my first worth something find. LOL. Thanks guys for the help and remarks.

it is in wonderful condition with the 'liberty' still visible. with better pictures you would have no trouble getting 20-30 dollars for this on ebay... what a great find!!!

very nice

That IH is super sweet! congrats and hold on to that puppy!

Assuming the pic does not do it justice...here is my take from the Blue US Coin Handbook 2009...

VF-20...Slight but even wear on LIBERTY....24 bucks...:)

EF-40...LIBERTYsharp-all other details sharp-Only slight wear on ribbon end...65 bucks...:)))

Mintage: 17,650,000

SWEET FIND

William

I'd say it is in the VF-XF range. But the corrosion will make it a "problem" coin and may cut the value in half. But darn near every penny ever dug by a MDer has that issue! You might be able to clean it in a way that improves the value if you do some research. You need to be very careful though, it is very easy to decrease the value with improper cleaning.

Very nice penny! :neat: I agree with everyone else, VF-XF. I LOVE indian heads!!!

Awesome IH there, congrats! According to the grading descriptions in the redbook I'd say at least VF to XF.

Hi devros,

What a nice find !! Congrats !!

It is always nice to see the old coins brought back from being lost in the ground all those years especially in nice condition such as your IH penny ;)

Thanks to everyone for your nice comments. It's all of you sometimes that makes me want to get out there and find more goodies. Thanks.

Sweet find! I plan to search a yard this summer of a friend of mine's who's house was built in 1865. Hoping to find some IH's there!

Back
Top Bottom