You will have to admit -

steve in so la

Forum Supporter
that luck surely has something to do with it. A while back a friend wanted me to help him learn his new detector. I told him what the basics were but didn't know his detector personally.
So he decided to try it out. I said I'll just swing a while on high disc and you learn yours. I wasn't in the mood to dig the tuff grass & all. So I start swinging and about 1 minute later I pop up a Mercury dime. He got discouraged and we left.

Any other "luck" stories out there ? steve in so az

My buddy Rick had been detecting for a couple years with little luck finding a gold ring. He and I went detecting at a park close to my home during my third week ever detecting and I nabbed a gold ring... He was shocked to say the least lol.

no story yet, but me step father just bought an ace 250. hes coming over friday so i can give him a basic run down of how it works. we'll start with my front yard and then maybe hit a tot lot. i hope he has some good beginers luck!

Happens all the time! I started a thread about it some time back called the force or something like that. Anyway it asks the question about when "being lucky" no longer can explain the happenings.

Just one example is the day I stopped by a vacant lot and got out to give it a shot. My first signal turns out to be a Indian Head and not 5 minutes later my next signal turns up a mercury dime and then a wheat not 12" away. I stopped and called one of my hunting buddies and told him I found a potentially killer site, and that in less than 20 minutes I had 3 keepers. I went and picked him up and we came back and spent an hour and a half and found absolutely nothing but trash and clad. Apparently my first 20 minutes found the only good targets at the entire site.

Happens all the time.

A while back I wanted a friend help me learn my new detector. He told me what the basics were but didn't know my detector personally.
So I decided to try it out. He said I'll just swing a while on high disc and you learn yours. He wasn't in the mood to dig the tuff grass & all. So he started swinging and about 1 minute later he pops up a Mercury dime. I got discouraged and we left.

LOL kidding! But with my usual look it would have gone that way.

Hehehe

I bought a Garrett Treasure Ace 100 at a flea market for $150 bucks many years ago. I took it out the next weekend to a nearby lake for my first hunt and found a large heavy men's wedding band just minutes after I started hunting. I ended up selling the ring and paid for my detector a couple of times over. Haven't been that lucky again since but it sure hooked me on this hobby !!

Detecting itself is all about luck. Just happening to be at the right place at the right time. Where the skill comes in is doing the research and knowing what things to look for and what to avoid. Even with research skills you are not guaranteed to find anything if there is nothing to find or someone else got lucky and beat you to it.

I will also add that for every "lucky" find.......there is someone out there that was unlucky enought to loose whatever you just found!

So true!

I will also add that for every "lucky" find.......there is someone out there that was unlucky enought to loose whatever you just found!

That is so true but then the other blessing to this hobby kicks in. If you are able to find the person that lost it. I have only been able to do that once but IT was the best find. After 55 years on the bottom of a lake I returned an ID bracelet to the owner. I love to read the stories folks post about returns. Good Luck, Jim

My very first find ever was a silver ring and I have been hooked! Still waiting on gold but in time I'm sure it will come! I feel lucky everytime I find a penny! Its kinda similar to gambling for me. You start swinging and you never know what's going to happen!

Luck has something to do with it but I`ll give you guys and gals a tip.
I`ll only say it once....Maybe twice:roll:
But coverage is what it takes and sometimes it is coverage And a small coil.
Regardless of the coil you need to move slowly and inspect every signal and dig if it is partly good, maybe even bad.
Good luck out there.

The first part of January I decided to hunt for the legendary Gasparilla loot. My father has a boat (that works) and we went up the Peace River and I tromped around in the mud and crawled over overturned trees from hurricane Charlie until I had enough. As we were leaving the area I spotted a mud bar off a tip of an island and decided to try it out. My first target was an arrow head (not an artifact lol) and my second was a nickel signal at 9 inches. It turned out to be a 14k white gold mens wedding ring. In the middle of no-where.

My very first find ever was a silver ring and I have been hooked! Still waiting on gold but in time I'm sure it will come! I feel lucky everytime I find a penny! Its kinda similar to gambling for me. You start swinging and you never know what's going to happen!

A silver ring is one of the best starts anybody could ask for Cali Girl. WTG.

Back
Top Bottom