Finds: Through the ages.

Doug

Elite Member
Finds from the last few weeks and from several sites. (cultivated farmland)

The local farmers are working around the clock to catch up on the farming calendar due to very bad weather we have had of late.

Fields are being turned around very quickly so I had to make a great effort to get into them before they were seeded with crops.

Thanks for looking.........Doug.

Roman coin just out of the ground.
K6MicxB.jpg

1st to 3rd century Roman coins, brooch shown in a previous post.
zMm1U9m.jpg

William 3rd (broken silver) coin , shilling.
ZAAEPHr.jpg

Lead items, bottom 3 trade weights, top right, loom weight/spindle whorl C1500-1700
MCbdqkD.jpg

Top left, plume or candle stick holder?
AzZqKJc.jpg

Lead token, use or ID unknown.
Rl5Dmwf.jpg

Flint, waste or a unfinished arrow head/scraper? Flint is not a natural material locally.
pis0HaY.jpg

sheesk. And to think that we USA hunters "turn over heaven and earth" to find coins from the 1800s. Over where you're at, the 1800s is "new", eh ? :wow:

Nice to see a fellow UK guy on here.

Awesome finds!

I haven't found a single roman in 3 years of detecting in Wales.

Boo hoo.

Matt

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

sheesk. And to think that we USA hunters "turn over heaven and earth" to find coins from the 1800s. Over where you're at, the 1800s is "new", eh ? :wow:

Thank you Tom.

Rest assured I live in a very rich and diverse part of the UK in regards to human activity throughout the ages. Not all the detectorist in the UK are so lucky.

I also feel it's a privilege to have the trust of the local landowners to come and go on their land, subject to crops, whenever it suits me.

Nice to see a fellow UK guy on here.

Awesome finds!

I haven't found a single roman in 3 years of detecting in Wales.

Boo hoo.

Matt

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Thank you.

I'm sure the Romans moved into Wales at some time?

I love seeing the true depth of history that you're able to explore with a detector in the UK! I'm also quite jealous!! :lol: Truly an amazing variety of finds - thanks for sharing!

Amazing bits of history. Can’t even imagine digging such history.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love seeing the true depth of history that you're able to explore with a detector in the UK! I'm also quite jealous!! :lol: Truly an amazing variety of finds - thanks for sharing!

Thank you.

Amazing finds. What I wouldn't give.....

Thank you.

Amazing bits of history. Can’t even imagine digging such history.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you.

Congrats , great stuff ! Nice hunting and pictures .

Thank you.

Good job getting all that when you had the opportunity! Some cool detail on some of those Roman coins.
Hard to tell if that flint was intended/used as a tool, or a discarded fragment, from when a stone tool was being knapped. Either way, it has an ancient, human activity history!
The spectacular "batwing" style buckle is very similar to this one; posted recently: https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=277661

Very nice finds Doug :thumbsup:

To be honest. Everything from after 1500 has no meaning to archeologists overhere, and for me those are the 'regular finds'.
1800s are 'modern' indeed, and coins, buckles and buttons from those ages go undisplayed into collection cases. Accept for more special finds, like i love 1800s militairy buttons and army stuff.
For us here pre-1500 up to stoneages are interesting, and i have found almost thousend of them.

I know, sounds decadent, but i can't help it. Sorry, europe mainland overhere. Medieval times, romans, celts.
If you ever come to here Tom, in my surroundings, your welcome to hunt together, and i can promise you you will find at least two nice 1700s coins and with some luck a buckle or button as old on one hunt.

Example. Loot from one 3-4 hours afternoon common usual hunt.

oneafternoonhunt.jpg

Back
Top Bottom