Courthouse Finds - 2 bucklisters for me!

spenglure

Elite Member
Been wanting to hit a local courthouse since I began detecting a few years back. Just never asked for fear of getting shot down. We'll, one particular day I was in town and thought, what the heck. I'm going to ask for permission for this courthouse. I walked in confident and left with a permission. When I hit the court yard, I immediately noticed the whole thing had fill dirt applied, like many years ago. Signal were few and far between and there was a lot of nails. But I started finding square nails and decide to dig some "iffy" and I mean "iffy" I would normally not dig these signals anywhere else kind of signals. My first signal was an old wheat along the perimeter of the side walk. Soon after I found my first good coin, a 1907 indian head. My next signal, which was terrible - barely registered and was super choppy was a 7.5" 1898 S Barber Dime. My next good coin was a choppy upper 80s signal. Decided to dig it and was surprised to find an 1873 shield nickel in pretty good shape!! Soon after I found a locker key (not sure how old, but sweet looking). Walked along the perimeter of the court yard and got a solid 92 signal and pulled out a 1964 Kennedy Half! Next signals wrapped up a merc, another indian and a few other wheats. The Indians were all down 7.5 or more. The best signal came last, an 1859 fatty Indian Head!! The site was void of easy obvious targets, it's definitely been detected before there was no easy silver or easy coins whatsoever.

Attachments

• IMG_6987.jpg
    IMG_6987.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_6988.jpg
    IMG_6988.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_7014.jpg
    IMG_7014.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 464
  • IMG_7003.jpg
    IMG_7003.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_7004.jpg
    IMG_7004.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_7015.jpg
    IMG_7015.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_7016.jpg
    IMG_7016.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_7021.jpg
    IMG_7021.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 447
  • IMG_7059.jpg
    IMG_7059.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_7060.jpg
    IMG_7060.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_7058.jpg
    IMG_7058.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_7290.jpg
    IMG_7290.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 424
Nope just surrounded on all four sides by a side walk lol! Thanks!

Ok, then that would be akin to a county park, right ? Then : If there isn't anything in county park's rules that say "no md'ing", then : Wouldn't that have meant : No prohibitions on md'ing ? :?:

Ok, then that would be akin to a county park, right ? Then : If there isn't anything in county park's rules that say "no md'ing", then : Wouldn't that have meant : No prohibitions on md'ing ? :?:

I’m guessing so. After I detected it for a while (right next to the sherrif’s office) I noticed no one seemed to care. But since I am well known in the town I wanted to make sure I kept a positive vibe about me trying to get some private property permissions as well. But I know what you are saying. In theory probably was fine without asking.

Nice work pulling the supper iffy's and finding treasure! I like that locker key :) I tried the same at a courthouse in CA, but only found memorials at 7", so I'm going with more fill or Tom had already got em all ;)

Nice work pulling the supper iffy's and finding treasure! I like that locker key :) I tried the same at a courthouse in CA, but only found memorials at 7", so I'm going with more fill or Tom had already got em all ;)

Too bad on the fill dirt. I'm not sure why it's done to be honest. Most fill dirt properties look like trash and are uneven. Just leave it alone!

Nice-looking batch of items you found. You are lucky to be able to metal detect the courthouse. Our County Courthouse was built in the late 1800s. It is on the national register of historic places. I am employed there and I was told not to metal detect the ground. So all I can do is look out the windows and wonder what is buried out there.:(

Nice-looking batch of items you found. You are lucky to be able to metal detect the courthouse. Our County Courthouse was built in the late 1800s. It is on the national register of historic places. I am employed there and I was told not to metal detect the ground. So all I can do is look out the windows and wonder what is buried out there.:(

Man, now that’s depressing!! I can only imagine what lies beneath all the fill depth and nails where I’m hunting! Thanks for the kind words!

Some very fine hunting Dan. Congrats on some very nice finds. Don't see a lot of Silver Kennedy's posted. Also the first year 1859 Indian is very special. Trapper

Some very fine hunting Dan. Congrats on some very nice finds. Don't see a lot of Silver Kennedy's posted. Also the first year 1859 Indian is very special. Trapper

Thanks Trapper! Yes I was pretty excited to nab an 1859 Indian!

Back
Top Bottom