first coin ring from a benjamin half dollar

Hook

Elite Member
after totally mutilating about a dozen clad halves, i tried my hand at a silver half. i'm not finished with this one yet, but its pretty close.

the one thing i dont like about a benjy coinring is, the date is so small and in a location that ended up getting partially cut off due to the size of the hole. this one ended up a size 13 , and is just a tad loose on my finger.

i bought a columbian half dollar, 1893. US minted for the chicago exposition. it will be my next ring, and i think it will make a good one. :yes:

so check out the benjy ring here and let me know what you think of the toning, the finish on the ring, etc.

PS....the last 2 pics are of the columbian half that will be the next ring made.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 593
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 675
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 653
  • columbian half  front.jpg
    columbian half front.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 616
  • columbian half  back.jpg
    columbian half back.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 531
WOW! That is awesome! How long did that take to make? I need to learn how to do that. I love it, can't wait to see the next one.

WOW! That is awesome! How long did that take to make? I need to learn how to do that. I love it, can't wait to see the next one.

Nev, i worked on it off and on for a couple hours while watching tv. I can make a quarter ring in about an hour , start to polished finish. The halves of course take longer due to their size and thickness of the coin. slow and steady wins the race on the bigger coins.

I still have some final finishing to do with the benjy ring, but its basically done. the final appearance wont be much different from what the pic shows.

Thanks for the compliment, and the next one is coming up in a day or so . I hope i dont mess the next one up! I really like the columbian half :lol::lol:

That Columbian Half is awesome!

Aught to look great as a ring.

A friend collects stamps and has that whole series (Columbian) in mint condition (several $1000)

Nice job! I play around and make a few here and there... I made one for my girlfriend last week from a silver coin i found out on an old ranch...

Typically i'm using coins the size of a quarter to a nickle sized coin... Also, i work them on my ring mandrel and then flip it over and work down again, you get a less cone shaped ring that way.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but from my rings made the ring ends up being the size of the outer diameter of the coin used. A half would be a BIG ring, and a morgan would turn in to a monster...

Typically i'm using coins the size of a quarter to a nickle sized coin... Also, i work them on my ring mandrel and then flip it over and work down again, you get a less cone shaped ring that way.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but from my rings made the ring ends up being the size of the outer diameter of the coin used. A half would be a BIG ring, and a morgan would turn in to a monster...

you are probably right! so far, with clad halves , the smallest size i ended up with is a size 12. but im going to use a doming block on my next silver half . i'm thinking i can get the size down to at least a 10. we shall see! :lol:

according to the websites that sell coin rings, a morgan ring's size range is 13 to 16 (i think). dats a big ring! lol

if i can manage to keep the size down a bit, i might just hit my ring size of 12.5 :D

if not...hell i can always just use a lil tape around the band like old school. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom