Walking in the woods

pryan67

Forum Supporter
Behind our property are some woods...

went for a walk today with the kids and found a little patch beyond a meadow that I hadn't noticed before. We went in, and saw some tree climbing spikes in one of the trees...

might be worth swinging there...

also found some OLD barrels (well, they looked old...deteriorated and had oodles of junk in them)

ETA: There's also a ring of large rocks around the tree...which makes it stand out from the other trees in the area (of course, that could be coincidence)

Attachments

• IMG00165-20120407-1500.jpg
    IMG00165-20120407-1500.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 285
those spikes could be from a hunter.
but sure, spikes and barrels? that means human activity and where people go, people lose things! it certainly wouldn't hurt to give it a try. :yes:

Pete

edit: yup, for sure those are the kinds of spike hunters use. but as to why he/she left them there, that's a good question.... :?:

Last edited:
those spikes could be from a hunter.
but sure, spikes and barrels? that means human activity and where people go, people lose things! it certainly wouldn't hurt to give it a try. :yes:

Pete

edit: yup, for sure those are the kinds of spike hunters use. but as to why he/she left them there, that's a good question.... :?:
Plus, the spikes are partially buried in the tree...they've been there awhile

maybe the hunter returned to that spot every year and just left them instead of taking them out every year.
if he had any luck there, you'll probably find some brass rifle casings. :yes:

I thought about that...but didn't find any while eyeballing the area..here's another pic showing how deep the tree grew around it

Attachments

• IMG00164-20120407-1500.jpg
    IMG00164-20120407-1500.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 275
yeah, it wouldn't take very long for casings to settle and get buried by leaves and other stuff.
but it should be a good hunting spot.... for metal or deer. :lol:

Screw in spikes

Just a little whittling of some of the bark and they will screw right out. You may save some wood cutter a limb or chain.
Just my 2 cents.

Maybe the hunter never left that spot:shock::laughing:

Yeah, you better look up. Might be a skeleton hanging from the tree.

i was sorta thinking the same thing, but not necessarily in the tree, but somewhere fairly handy on the ground near the tree. well, if he detects the area and comes across a rifle and other items, then we'll know. :shock:

So the junk in the barrel how old was it? That will give you a good idea of how long it as been used. Also of potentially how much trash maybe buried as well.

Back
Top Bottom