• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Copper or Brass Button?

Utah_T-Hunter

Elite Member
Just a hour ago was out Metal Detecting and uncovered this at a 100+ year old home. Anyone have any ideas what clothing it was on? Or seen anything like it by any chance?

Attachments

• SDC11426.jpg
    SDC11426.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 456
  • SDC11427.jpg
    SDC11427.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 324
  • SDC11429.jpg
    SDC11429.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 356
I'm not a button expert; I don't even play one on TV. But in my opinion, it looks like a gold gilted overcoat button. I can't think of any other article of clothing with buttons that big.

IDK but that is a huge button. Nice finds.

Nice large button.

Circa late 1700's probably and I think pewter coated like some of those I have found (brass underneath). Yours has a newer looking hasp than the ones I have found. As far as I know those would be on overcoats. Yours appears to be civilian. Cool find!

First of all I want to Thank you for all your Replies.

I will post more pictures when I get this cleaned up more. I ran a poweful Magnet over this button and it is not Magnetic in any form. And brass and Pewter have Magnetic qualties to them. It makes me think more this is either Gold Plated or something to that effect. Or has to be Copper since that is not Magnetic as well. Just confuses me because the Metal Detecter shows the metal is not copper. Whatever Metal this is the Metal Detector goes crazy when it you run the button under it!

Back
Top Bottom