Silver Half Giveaway and Another Report.

When I am having a hard time finding anything it is hard to give up as well and sometimes that gets me in trouble at home as well.:roll: I once missed calls from my wife as my phone was somehow on silence and was very late picking her up. Time just flies by when I am digging.

Congrats on the nice finds btw. I had my first silver coin recently and am having a hard time with the second.

I love finding silver. But I would like to be able to be out finding clad. Might have to go to a local school since they are closed Schools in my state have fences with gates that are locked but yesterday I saw one that the gates were standing open.
Thank you George for your reply. Opportunities are few these days so you got to grab the gusto when they are available. I know I will be searching for a new sites very soon to keep things going for myself.
Nice haul Trapper. I am stubborn when it comes to hunting,wont give up until dark or the wife calls. Some great recoveries .stay safe all the best. Jonny
Appreciate your reply Jonny. I have had those experiences of long hunts and the calls from my wife. Many cold meals for the microwave. Still I'm blessed with having the great support of my wife to allow me pursue my madness.
It's been a while since I have found any silver. My car is down so I haven't had a way to go detecting.
Sorry to hear your down on the luck Richard. Keep the faith as brighter days are in the future. Hope you can get out soon to enjoy this hobby. Trapper

Once again trapper you are on pace to another amazing season. I am having withdrawals because of snow and lack of spots for me to search for coins. But i did manage to find a south facing hill to swing the 800 on and managed to find 17 hunks of glacial copper but that doesn't fill my craving for silver though. So i might just have to go find some more of them raw silver nuggets . And the give away is awfully nice of you and just another sign of what type of person you are . Congratulations on your finds and most of all be safe !!!!!

That’s a great giveaway and I hope it spits some people to comment on post. That’s always my beef and why I’ve not felt as motivated to post as much here. My last post was one of my best hunts in a while and it could only muster up 21 comments in over 500 view. That barber is nice and crazy you’ve not been skunked. Persistence maybe but I think skill has more to do with it. Congrats buddy!

Ohhhhh👀
A sweet silver report ?
I like it a lot Trap.
Very interesting and impressive that you have scrounged silver up in every hunt this year to date.
The giveaway is also a reflection of your unselfish nature.
I can’t say I am man enough to give up any of the silver halfs I have dug.
I do have some I purchased though🤔
Nope nope ... sounds crazy to me 😜
I have not evolved enough as a hunter to do that yet .

Great display as usual and congratulations on the great saves buddy.
,Dew

That’s the way to keep it going Trapper. Congrats on the barber and V! Too, the other silver. It is getting harder to find fertile ground of late.
Thank you Jim for your reply. i have to agree it is getting a lot tougher to locate new grounds and the old grounds are pretty exhausted. Had a great day yesterday but hunted almost 7 hours on three different sites.
Trapper, I can certainly say, you don't miss much when you are out hunting, if any. Each one of those finds are a sign of success. Congrats!
Kind words John, thank you. The truth is I miss more than I like and is why I keep going back to the old locations. There are times I am completely bewildered how I miss some items on original hunts.
Definitely an impressive haul trapper, I think my favorite is the barber quarter. Stay safe out there, and happy hunting!
Appreciate you reply Jeff. The Barber Quarter really cleaned up nicely and the coin itself still has a lot of detail. Not always the case, dug a Barber Dime yesterday that is worn pretty well. Trapper

So glad to see you're still around Trapper! Haven't seen many of your posts lately! You've got me beat by 15 silvers for the year so far! That's a swell barber quarter you found! I've only found 1 so far in my life.....a very worn 1906, here in Southern Oregon. There's just not that many places to look for older coins here, someday I'd love to hunt farther east. Take care & good to hear from ya again!

Trapper, Congrats on the silver streak and V nickel success. I can sympathize with you on needing some new ground. I’m not traveling very far with all that’s going on, and the spots close to me are really only good for clad. Mainly it’s jewelry hunting and we all know how maddening that can get. I’ve been hesitant asking for permissions during all this as well.

Gotta love finding that silver! What detector have you been using to find it? Find any good cheese lately? :laughing:

Congrats on the silvers, and the V Trapper!!! That stinking Barber anything coin just will not show her pretty face to me!!! I will find her, it’s only a matter of time. She can run, it she cant’t hide forever. :laughing:

Also thank you for the giveaway you’re doing this month. I look forward to seeing who the lucky 3 will be.

im always jelous of the guys finding silver coins. I have yet to find a single one. Hopefully this will be the year for me as I have a few promising permissions and a nicer machine to work with so I have my fingers crossed.

I forgot to mention that 1955 is a good date for Dimes! It is the lowest mintage of Roosies meant for circulation, so double congrats!
Thank you Anthoney. This is one reason I love this forum. I am not a coin collector.... just a Silver Coin hoarder:lol::lol:. So learning things like the "55" Rosie was the lowest mintage of its type was new to me.
Man that’s a lot of silvers! Congrats Trapper. I hope to uncover a barber (or a V for that matter) some day, love the photos. I want to comment on your posts just because, as long as I can and have the time. So will recuse myself from the contest and just comment :) because your posts are generally inspiring, and fun to see. Thank you.
Thank you Jeff for your kind words. As long as you keep active in your pursuit you will accomplish those wants. The Barber and the "V' will surrender to your coil. Jeff you comments are appreciated so I would not accept your refusal if you are drawn. This is not a contest but a drawing to say thank you to members that meet the qualifications. It is my way of giving back in a very small way to those that fortified my growth through the years in building my success in this hobby on this forum. This place, well it has been a wealth of knowledge and a home of friends and in these times a place to escape to for some normalcy. Trapper
Congrats on all the fantastic finds, Trapper! :woot: The Barber quarter looks like it is in excellent condition, too. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your threads as the warmer weather approaches us! :cool3:
Thank you Garrett. I hope to provide a few of those threads this month. A lot of my plans have been curtailed to some degree due to the health issues we are having in this country so I may be doing a lot more detecting than what was in the plans. Trapper

Nice finds!

I need to do some more homework and find some new places to go as well. I hit the fairgrounds in my county and managed to find a 1919 wheat, but every other target was clad and it wasn't all that fulfilling. I tried a downtown section with an ATV trail. I was detecting the edges of the trail and a "Karen" with her three little dogs started barking at me...Karen, not the dogs. The building is less than six feet from the trail, but she assumes she owns up to the trail itself. (Hint: she doesn't) It wasn't worth my time to argue with her over a 3' X 75' strip of grass. Moved on to another park, but then the rain set in, so I went home. A few bucks in clad...

Very nice Trapper, that is a good looking Barber Quarter, and nice Silver Assortment! Thanks for the contest, it is great to promote participation on the Friendly Forum as the number of actual comments to "views" is quite low.
Thank you David as your reply is appreciated. Door knocking isn't a option here and limited travel puts opportunity to old locations that all been pounded over the years. I have been pretty lucky and very happy so far with the success I have had. Not to sure where I will go next as of yet but I will make the effort. As far as the give-away goes. It gives me a chance to give a little back for all the free knowledge I received over the years and hopefully build some valued participation.
If I didn't come home until I found silver I'd still be out there today. In fact, if I didn't come home until I found a coin I'd still be out there! I hunted two late 1800s-early 1900s home sites on a large old farm. My hunting buddy found the only coin of the day: a late 1800s V nickel. We both found a handful of relic-y items. Hours of hiking through the woods and dirt roads. It beat walking around my neighborhood again.
Thank you Soldier for the reply. Seems you are part pit bull also and some times that is not a bad trait to have. For me it gets in my way a bit to often specially on the home front. Wish I had a place like you where you can stroll without people about, hate hunting looking over my shoulder at all times. I am looking forward also to when restrictions are lifted so I can get back out with the buddies as I miss the companionship in the hunt.
Thanks for the drawing Trapper!
Are you sure you can spare those silver halfs, after all its not like you find a significant amount of silver out there in the dirt every year?
Oh wait...that's me, not you. :tissue:
Carry on.
You are trying to be funny Dave, it works. Truth is I am cheap and I do horde my Silver but I do think I can get by with this sacrifice. I look at this give-away as a way to give back to the forum that has given me so much. A way to say thank you not only for the knowledge but also for the support that was freely given me. I have been very lucky along the way and allowed to build several fantastic friendships and have had many great experiences as a result of contacts with forum members so yes I can afford this. Trapper

Thanks for my entering this contest👍😁
You are so fortunate to get out and detect these days!

Last edited:
Well &^%^$ went to the school where the gate to the parking area was open. Two huge totlots surrounded by 6 foot wrought iron fences and yes the gates were locked.

So I decided to hit the area in front of another school hoping to find a little clad.

Got geared up and hit my first target. What is going on my pin pointer is dead I put a brand new battery in it the last time I was out.

Got a spare out of the car. DEAD. Piddled around on the lawn for a while and dug a few targets. Lord I hate detecting without a pin pointer.

There were not many non trash targets to be found so I gave up and came home. Put new battery in the pin pointer and it works as it should. I found one quarter, one dime and two copper pennies.

Now I have to investigate the governors order to Stay Home to see if I can go hit some local parks for a zincoln or two.

When I am having a hard time finding anything it is hard to give up as well and sometimes that gets me in trouble at home as well.:roll: I once missed calls from my wife as my phone was somehow on silence and was very late picking her up. Time just flies by when I am digging.

Congrats on the nice finds btw. I had my first silver coin recently and am having a hard time with the second.
Thank you for your reply. It took a long time between my first and 2nd silver's but as I became more accomplished they started coming more often. Now I get highly mad at myself if I don't put at least one on the scorecard on a outing.
Once again trapper you are on pace to another amazing season. I am having withdrawals because of snow and lack of spots for me to search for coins. But i did manage to find a south facing hill to swing the 800 on and managed to find 17 hunks of glacial copper but that doesn't fill my craving for silver though. So i might just have to go find some more of them raw silver nuggets . And the give away is awfully nice of you and just another sign of what type of person you are . Congratulations on your finds and most of all be safe !!!!!
Thank you Mike. Your Sterling Ring looks to be a very nice find. I know it would be a welcome addition to my collection for sure. If it weren't for this virus crises I don't think my count would be so high.
That’s a great giveaway and I hope it spits some people to comment on post. That’s always my beef and why I’ve not felt as motivated to post as much here. My last post was one of my best hunts in a while and it could only muster up 21 comments in over 500 view. That barber is nice and crazy you’ve not been skunked. Persistence maybe but I think skill has more to do with it. Congrats buddy!
Appreciate you kind words Jason. I too hope this give-away gives enough reason to make a comment. We have lost so many of the old crew that openly shared their knowledge due to lack of participation. The new people in this hobby become the real losers with this happening.By the way the skunk is out as my last outing only a couple of Wheat's and some clad. So hunt number 19 was the bummer and even my skill could not shake a Silver out. Trapper

Back
Top Bottom