Stencil?

WildBillCody

Hi all, trying to figure out what this is, it was folded up when I found it. To me it looks like a brass stencil, but it might be a tag as well. Anyone ever seen something like this? By the style of the lettering, it looks to me like it could be Civil War era. I have searched the internet for "176 N.Y. I.E.B" without much luck, I did find a "176 New York Infantry Battalion". This was found in Chesapeake VA, but I don't think they went through there on their way south.

It's about 12" long by 3.5" wide.

TIA

Attachments

• tag.jpg
    tag.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 217
Was able to find a New York Institute of Economic Botany, and was briefly excited because that thing could have been some kind of tree tag or something, but they were founded in 1981 and whatever you have is almost certainly way older.

Current guess is your thing is some kind of old electrical pole tag, possibly telegraph pole.

It's strangely large though, whatever it is.

I did a very quick search but included "Expeditionary" in it and it looks like the 176th Infantry Brigade was an expeditionary brigade. At work so I couldn't delve deeper. WWI era?
"Category: 176th Infantry Brigade, United States Army, World War I
Categories: American Expeditionary Force (AEF) Brigades, World War I"

Lots of vintage crate stencils on ebay that look similar. I believe that's what you have. Specific context? No idea. Age? Looks older than WWI types...possibly. Awesome dig!

Back
Top Bottom