For those that think they have a meteorite look here.

Glennz

Elite Member
This is a great website that shows if you have a meteorite... i am posting this due to the meteorite craze that is going around...

Easy step by step walk through... includes pictures and all!

http://www.meteoritemarket.com/metid1.htm

Tectite A glassy like substance created when a meteorite impacts the earth and melts the surrounding sand and other minerals together.

see below photo.

IMG_0073.JPG

I think I've got one! Found it my first time out with a bounty hunter a couple years ago.

Great info. Glennz, thanks, a great reminder what to keep an eye out for. Always wanted to try digging in remote open space looking for one.

I have handled a few thus far, have yet to find a real one.... if someone really thinks they have one you can send me some photos... in reality i would need a sample to cut and possibly acid etch.

Thanks whomever put this at stickie.

I will also be editing the first post to include what a tectite is/ looks like...

I have one.. its not rare but still cool

Witness Myself..

Hiya, in South Shields around 19 years ago on a clear summer day I was hit on my head with some force it knocked me to the ground and embedded into the top of my head. I felt like I had been hit with a hammer. I had to pull from my scalp. It was roughly about 1 to1 and a half millimeter . At first I thought a bird had dropped it. Nothing was in sky.. it was a clear day and we were in open space. Still have what we believe is possible Metorite. It has slight magnetic pull and coloured embossed fragments. Can I upload a picture and maybe you can help me identify please. Regards diane

Hiya, in South Shields around 19 years ago on a clear summer day I was hit on my head with some force it knocked me to the ground and embedded into the top of my head. I felt like I had been hit with a hammer. I had to pull from my scalp. It was roughly about 1 to1 and a half millimeter . At first I thought a bird had dropped it. Nothing was in sky.. it was a clear day and we were in open space. Still have what we believe is possible Metorite. It has slight magnetic pull and coloured embossed fragments. Can I upload a picture and maybe you can help me identify please. Regards diane

I would be willing to take a look.

i think you would be the 1st person to have a meteorite hit them in our recorded history without any obstruction. i think some lady had on come through her roof and hit her leg or something. im siked to find out. please keep us posted

hello..

Hello, just back on this site after I wrote last message. Great to read a reply. I will check your site out and so willing to forward a picture of what I and others think is some type of meteorite. . I have found fare few pieces like your picture above and I have to say fragment that hit me on head is nothing like colour or texture as those I have found while out on mission for findings. Chat soon I hope. Regards diane

meteorite opinions (sorta hijack)

Hi All. while teaching a young friend to buy gold and silver at local garbage sales last spring, we stumbled on one that had several "museum" specimens. they were packing up, and the story was that her father was curator at a local museum. anyway, i found what i am pretty sure is a small meteorite. it had a museum tag on it with the gram weight but no other identifier, i paid ten cents. i have not taken it to anyone, and even if so it is only like 22g so specific identity isnt relevant. just wondering what others would do. have it checked or just leave it tucked in my box of tektites and other curiosities. i have a fairly nifty box of cool stuff found while detecting. and non of it valuable but worth alot to me. i found a hunk of amber in the surf while in the Gulf several years ago. easily worth about ten bucks, but of course worth a few million to me.

Hi All. while teaching a young friend to buy gold and silver at local garbage sales last spring, we stumbled on one that had several "museum" specimens. they were packing up, and the story was that her father was curator at a local museum. anyway, i found what i am pretty sure is a small meteorite. it had a museum tag on it with the gram weight but no other identifier, i paid ten cents. i have not taken it to anyone, and even if so it is only like 22g so specific identity isnt relevant. just wondering what others would do. have it checked or just leave it tucked in my box of tektites and other curiosities. i have a fairly nifty box of cool stuff found while detecting. and non of it valuable but worth alot to me. i found a hunk of amber in the surf while in the Gulf several years ago. easily worth about ten bucks, but of course worth a few million to me.

Its probably not worth getting validated being that small and no info. Also the amber if it is real and not copal could be worth a bit.

Comment on the Museum "meteorite".

Specific gravity would be valid, but you have to have a sensitive scale! 22 grams is plenty heavy enough to get its weight dry and submerged in water. That's all you need...now if it was 0.2 grams, you would have a sp.gr. problem.

KT dealt with things like this and sp. gr. of minerals all the time when He worked! HA HA

Specific gravity would be valid, but you have to have a sensitive scale! 22 grams is plenty heavy enough to get its weight dry and submerged in water. That's all you need...now if it was 0.2 grams, you would have a sp.gr. problem.

KT dealt with things like this and sp. gr. of minerals all the time when He worked! HA HA

depends if its stoney, metal or mixed though.

Back
Top Bottom