Do you need help identifying minerals / crystals / rocks

Glennz

Elite Member
Well being a rockhound i thought i would offer my services to help identify unknown rocks...

I can identify most rocks but there are those that still elude me (at least one type.. could be something new though)

I just require a clear picture with a size reference (penny / ruler) (see below) if that is not enough i will ask questions...

Feel free to reply or pm me and i will do the best i can

SAM_0139-1.JPG

The picture needs more magnification. It's hard to see details. Need more pictures at different angles. How hard is it. How solid, layered, soft???? The true color, what type of material was it found?:?::?: What type of light did you use when taking the picture?

No that is about average for the picture quality i would need... you always use flash for crisp pictures.. granted my website where it is hosted decreases the quality raw photos are preferred.

(the above sample id Hematite from NY)

i see you misread my posting so i forgive you.

If i cant id the sample by picture alone i will ask more questions (hardness streak, cleavage and what not)

I found this while trekking around southern CA in the area of the Salton Sea, but I’m pretty sure this rock is from nowhere near there. I just happen to notice this rock in a debris filled area. It seemed oddly out of place and unique, so I picked it up and kept it. I’ve wondered what it might be. So your post is perfect, and thanks for your time.
Sorry I didn’t have something for scale, I took the pic some time ago.

Attachments

• DSC_0320.jpg
    DSC_0320.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 1,900
  • DSC_0346.jpg
    DSC_0346.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,710
I found this while trekking around southern CA in the area of the Salton Sea, but I’m pretty sure this rock is from nowhere near there. I just happen to notice this rock in a debris filled area. It seemed oddly out of place and unique, so I picked it up and kept it. I’ve wondered what it might be. So your post is perfect, and thanks for your time.
Sorry I didn’t have something for scale, I took the pic some time ago.

Well i would need some different pictures not at an angle to say 100% but it is chalcedony, agate, or jasper (if it is transparent and has lines of colors its agate, if not chalcedony) it is jasper if it is not transparent.

nice find, i wish i had that quality around my area

Wow that was fast, I had to look up the the two and I'm leaning to the chalcedony. But next time Im home I get some better pics.

Thanks for the help..

no problem, most stuff i can easily identify just by pictures. if it is fully transperent (chalcedony or agate) theres a good chance it could be worth more than $.10 I can say it probably has came from that area and not carried (unless it was somehow thrown out with the trash)... i would try to look for more.

Do i see part of a fossil in that? Is it magnetic (set off your detector), and is is in layers?

(if it has none of the above qualities it is nearly impossible to identify most rocks that size.. I just call all of those leaverites :roll: )

I've always been into neat looking rocks! Now that I have a tumbler, the bug has bit a little harder, could you recommend a good all around book. On IDing rocks & minerals...
~ Thank you

Thes book are good... i like the first Simon book better all around, but the Audubon book is the fastest for identifying minerals... i just don't like how it is setup.

simon_and_schuster_rocks_and_minerals.jpg

national_audubon_society_field_guide_to_rocks_and_minerals.jpg

I have something that I found in the yard of a house I had in Indiana. I always wondered if it was really some kind of rock, or maybe something that came from one of the local steel mills. I've asked a few people, but so far haven't found anyone that knows what it is. I'm hoping you might have some idea. As you can see, it's about 7 inches long. It is also about 5 inches wide and 2 inches high. It weighs 12 pounds, is not soft or flakey, and is not magnetic. Any ideas? Thanks!

Attachments

• rock2.jpg
    rock2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,696
I have something that I found in the yard of a house I had in Indiana. I always wondered if it was really some kind of rock, or maybe something that came from one of the local steel mills. I've asked a few people, but so far haven't found anyone that knows what it is. I'm hoping you might have some idea. As you can see, it's about 7 inches long. It is also about 5 inches wide and 2 inches high. It weighs 12 pounds, is not soft or flakey, and is not magnetic. Any ideas? Thanks!

Can you clean that up some.. possibly break off a small piece (1 in by 1 in or so)

OK, washed it, but it doesn't look much different. I smacked it with a hammer and it kind of shattered. Very sparkly inside.

Attachments

• rock3.jpg
    rock3.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,763
  • rock4.jpg
    rock4.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,614
Yeah, I'm sure it is tough via pictures. I still keep wondering if it's something out of the steel mills. It is not like sandpaper, it has some bubbles in it. I appreciate you looking at it...I'll just keep calling it a doorstop. ;) Thanks again!

Yeah, I'm sure it is tough via pictures. I still keep wondering if it's something out of the steel mills. It is not like sandpaper, it has some bubbles in it. I appreciate you looking at it...I'll just keep calling it a doorstop. ;) Thanks again!

If it has bubbles in it, it is probably slag... i was thinking that by the way it looks.. i dont want to say thats positive but thats most likely the case unless you have any volcanic rock around where you got it.

I don't like giving false answers... if its something really important to you i'd say you could send me one of the small pieces and if i don't know i know people who might.. (and with sending samples you are basically giving them the sample... applies to more than just me )

Minerals are a lot easier to id but yeah i would call that slag if nothing else

Do i see part of a fossil in that? Is it magnetic (set off your detector), and is is in layers?

(if it has none of the above qualities it is nearly impossible to identify most rocks that size.. I just call all of those leaverites :roll: )

it is not magnetic, it did set my detector off and it is heavy

If it has bubbles in it, it is probably slag... i was thinking that by the way it looks.. i dont want to say thats positive but thats most likely the case unless you have any volcanic rock around where you got it.

I don't like giving false answers... if its something really important to you i'd say you could send me one of the small pieces and if i don't know i know people who might.. (and with sending samples you are basically giving them the sample... applies to more than just me )

Minerals are a lot easier to id but yeah i would call that slag if nothing else

Thanks again for your efforts! Nice of you to start this thread!

Back
Top Bottom