Button

EMGdetecting

df302762c1f1d29e41958a7a87b5c467.jpg

I found this button at a house from mid 1800s. I did some cleaning with a tooth pick and I can see that it looks like there is some wording in the middle. There looks to be a design all around as well. Does anyone have any further advice on how I should go about cleaning this flat button?
Thanks!

-Ethan

df302762c1f1d29e41958a7a87b5c467.jpg

I found this button at a house from mid 1800s. I did some cleaning with a tooth pick and I can see that it looks like there is some wording in the middle. There looks to be a design all around as well. Does anyone have any further advice on how I should go about cleaning this flat button? It’s the size of a penny.
Thanks!

-Ethan

-Ethan

I've found numerous similar buttons in the same condition. I've tried everything that people suggest, such as ammonia, vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, for and etc. In my experience letting them dry out and using a dry cleaning method works best. A toothpick, soft brush and the Andres steel wool brush. The key is to go slow and stop when you see details start to come off. Sometimes the damage is so extensive that not much can be done for them. Good luck and hopefully your able to get some detail out of it.

Tooth picking is the best. I also will lightly use metal dental picks from time to time. I find anything chemical add it eats the rust it takes the details with it. Picks let you control it better.

I've found numerous similar buttons in the same condition. I've tried everything that people suggest, such as ammonia, vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, for and etc. In my experience letting them dry out and using a dry cleaning method works best. A toothpick, soft brush and the Andres steel wool brush. The key is to go slow and stop when you see details start to come off. Sometimes the damage is so extensive that not much can be done for them. Good luck and hopefully your able to get some detail out of it.

Thanks for the tips!

-Ethan

Tooth picking is the best. I also will lightly use metal dental picks from time to time. I find anything chemical add it eats the rust it takes the details with it. Picks let you control it better.

Good advice. Are there any good liquids that conserve ls things you find? Like the one called conserv

-Ethan

The Ugly Box will clean safely only removing dirt and decay. It also stabilizes from the core so no more future decay.

Attachments

• 20210107_212255.jpg
    20210107_212255.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 311
Back
Top Bottom