finds from brooklyn parks 2006

grnpt_dtekr

hey guys, just came googled my way into this forum and wanted to share some of my best finds from this summer, new to this forum.
got into the hobby by way of a 1908 st gaudens 20$ (was a gift) and figured i wonder how i can find more coins for free, haha. i spent alot of time this summer learning about metal detecting, which detectors are the best for coin hunting etc. what a fun hobby, never know what youre going to dig up! now im using a ace 250 and a lesche predator, but will be upgrading to a mid level detector (maybe a minelab).

i got stopped by a park offical later in the summer and learned you need a permit, and then can only go on the beaches. not sure if there are many people in my area who go to the beach but my detector does not do well in the surf so ive stayed mostly to the parks. if anyone is in the brooklyn/queens nyc area and wants to know more about some of the parks let me know, ill be trying to get a permit this spring. been looking for people to detect with but with no luck so far, not sure where to look for other people really.

so far my two big finds have been the silver peace dollar (had to clean it, even though thats not a good idea but its such a pretty coin), and a barber dime. ive found TONS of clad and took those puppies to the coinstar, wasnt a bad haul maybe like 30$ or something.

anyways hope you enjoy these finds, and awesome finds you guys have in this forum. really cool to see what other people are finding.

happy detecting

Attachments

• IMG_3070.jpg
    IMG_3070.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_3142.jpg
    IMG_3142.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_3595.jpg
    IMG_3595.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 124
Gald you stopped by to this forum. I am looking forward to seeing your finds in 2007.....

cheers
Charles

Welcome to the forum......I was brought up in the Bronx about 6 blocks from the Yankee Stadium. Live in the state of (confusion) :D Washington now. Sounds like you're making some pretty good finds. You'll also find a great bunch of people here on this forum. Good luck to you.

grnpt_dtekr said:
i got stopped by a park offical later in the summer and learned you need a permit, and then can only go on the beaches. not sure if there are many people in my area who go to the beach but my detector does not do well in the surf so ive stayed mostly to the parks. if anyone is in the brooklyn/queens nyc area and wants to know more about some of the parks let me know, ill be trying to get a permit this spring. been looking for people to detect with but with no luck so far, not sure where to look for other people really.

Those are some AWESOME finds! Whoa, I'd love to find any one of those :grin: I'm on Long Island (you need a permit for the State Parks and beaches $20) I'm free to hunt any other parks. In NYC you definitely need a permit (it's free) but even with one, you can only hunt certain parks in certain areas.

Here's where to request one:

Mail in for the permit, make sure you send a photo copy of your DL or any state, government ID and your phone number.

City of New York Parks & Recreation
The Urban Park Service/Metal Detecting Permit
1234 Fifth Avenue Room 216
NY NY 10029

Mail in for the permit, make sure you send a photo copy of your DL or any state, government ID and your phone number.

NY NY 10029

thanks joe, ill send in that in next couple weeks. meant to do it in the summer but didnt get around to it, probably makes sense though since i havent gotten a fine yet :)

what parks are ok to hunt at, and in what areas? it says on the nyc parks site that all parks are off limits unless you have a prior authorization from the comissioner of that park.

thanks for the post, lets get together to detect when it warms up a little. where do you hunt in LI?

Welcome, thanks for sharing and we look forward to hearing more from you real soon

Great finds for just starting out. Let me know if I can help you when you're ready to upgrade. 8)

grnpt_dtekr said:

NY NY 10029

thanks joe, ill send in that in next couple weeks. meant to do it in the summer but didnt get around to it, probably makes sense though since i havent gotten a fine yet :)

what parks are ok to hunt at, and in what areas? it says on the nyc parks site that all parks are off limits unless you have a prior authorization from the comissioner of that park.

thanks for the post, lets get together to detect when it warms up a little. where do you hunt in LI?

There's only a handfull of parks you can detect in NYC. As far as "permission from the commisioner" I think the permission is in the form of the permit :) Unless you're a close friend of the Mayor, I don't think anyone is going to give you permission to hunt Central park :D for instance. Don't push you're luck with the park police. All you need is one guy in a bad mood and you'll be looking at something like a $100 fine. Also, any area that's part of Gateway National Park is off limits. (you can't hunt any National Park). They DEFINITELY don't like people digging... fines are heavy, you can get arrested and you could lose your MD. Not good.

I get the MD permit for the State parks (including the beaches). I've been to a couple of them to dig dirt with a little success. They're pretty trashy for the most part but I've hit some silver (although nothing really old). I did hit what looks like an 1831 large cent though not too long ago. As far as local parks are concerned, they're all open to hunting. I've got a couple that are nearby so I go there when I need a fix. The beach is a whole other animal. The summer time is a lot of fun. You never know what you'll find.

Back
Top Bottom