My first War Nickel

brooklynct2003

1945 Mint year. I found a bunch of coins in a little playground just up the street. Most of the pennies were pre-1982 and also found a couple quarters & dimes. The nickel pictured below was my favorite, as I haven't found a war-time nickel yet. Because of a Nickel shortage during WW2, from 1942-1945 they changed the metal alloy formula to 35% silver, 56% copper, 9% manganese, different from the 75% copper, 25% nickel formula they are using today.

I also found a cheap woman's silver ring, stamped "India" on inside. Not worthy of a photo.

Hard to believe this playground wasn't searched more often. It's in a well established neighborhood, surrounded by older Victorian homes. I probably only searched less than 3% of the total area in about 1 hour of searching. I plan on going back very soon and more often. Looks like I'll get 20-30 hours of good hunting here next couple months and it's only 6 blocks from home.

Attachments

• image0-8.jpg
    image0-8.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 94
Neat dig ! Those war nickels are fairly hard to find. Good luck with the tot lot, sounds like a good one, Steve in so az

Back
Top Bottom