Hunt By The River

angellionel

Elite Member
What a beautiful Autumn day! Definitely not a day to remain inside the house. After completing some work around the house, and making sure the ?boss? was OK with it, I took a 50-mile drive to a site I had spotted earlier this summer. At the time I had been searching for a local swimming hole, and made a note to come back to work the site once the weather cooled. The site is a heavily wooded area near the river, not far from the swimming hole.

I worked the area for about three hours before calling it quits, but managed to pick up a few silver pieces and an 1883 IH, which came out in surprisingly good shape, though it still has some green marks that didn't come off with the light cleaning. I also found a small bell, though I'm not sure if it's old.

My ?weapon? of choice. 8)
DFX_101506.jpg

The quarter, IH and one merc came out of the wooded area. The 1941 merc I found at a trail near the river.
coins101506.jpg

The bell. Not sure if it's old, but a cool find anyway.
bell101506.jpg

The clad and a few shells.
finds101506A.jpg

Looking down at the river and the area I planned to hit.
Greenfield_101506_A.jpg

From another angle.
Greenfield_101506_B.jpg

The hunting grounds.
Greenfield_101506_C.jpg

The other side looks tempting, but I didn't want to get wet.
Greenfield_101506_D.jpg

The trail. It yielded one merc.
Greenfield_101506_E.jpg

This reminded me to be on the alert at all times.
Skull_101506.jpg

HH!

Angel

Very nice angel! I did some hunting for a couple of hours along the river here on Friday, but no luck as usual.

Thanks for the comments! :)

OD, while I was by the river, the temperature began to drop as evening approached. Are you experiencing similar cold days down your way? I'm going to have to start taking extra clothing with me. :)

It cooled off here, but probably not as cold as where you are. It finally rained here this weekend too. I usually carry a sweater top with me and pull it off or on when the temp changes. I wore it Friday though I could have got by without it. There were lots of bugs flying around in the woods where I was and decided I'd leave it on :lol:

Nice going Angel. I was gonna go out, but I would have had to dig through four inches of snow. :mad: Supposed to be better this coming weekend. You can bet I'll be out and about. ;)

Great pics angel and congrats on the silver and nice IH. It just got done raining here and I am debating whether I should hit the deer stand or do a little dirt fishing. Decisions. Decisions. I tried near our local river recently and had very little luck. Judging by the root exposure on the tree's, I think there is a lot of sand covering the good stuff. :o(

It's funny how the old coins came out in much better condition than the newer ones

Good going Angle! See you are breaking in a new shovel! Wear the old one out? :lol: I got your pm and yes I would. cladius.

OkieDigger said:
It cooled off here, but probably not as cold as where you are. It finally rained here this weekend too. I usually carry a sweater top with me and pull it off or on when the temp changes. I wore it Friday though I could have got by without it. There were lots of bugs flying around in the woods where I was and decided I'd leave it on :lol:

The bugs can be a problem out here too, but right now it has been a nice reprieve from them. I really don't feel like being a blood donor. :lol:

hoser said:
Nice going Angel. I was gonna go out, but I would have had to dig through four inches of snow. :mad: Supposed to be better this coming weekend. You can bet I'll be out and about. ;)

I hear you, Hoser. I'm not looking forward to the snow myself. I'll be taking advantage of the better days for sure. :yes:

simonthesearcher said:
Lovely pics Angel,i like that bell a lot,i wonder how old it could be.

I'm wondering about that too. Hopefully some details or markings will show after I do some cleaning. :)

SteveMN said:
Great pics angel and congrats on the silver and nice IH. It just got done raining here and I am debating whether I should hit the deer stand or do a little dirt fishing. Decisions. Decisions. I tried near our local river recently and had very little luck. Judging by the root exposure on the tree's, I think there is a lot of sand covering the good stuff. :o(

You faced the same situation I did. The area closer to the river did have some silt buildup, sand-like, and heavily layered. If there are any coins there, they would be difficult to detect. :(

mercenary said:
It's funny how the old coins came out in much better condition than the newer ones

That's the good thing about silver coins. Generally, they come out of the ground quite clean and with some shine. Not so with the modern clad coins. They tend to acquire an ugly tarnish or cruddy look. The one that did surprise me was the IH. Those seem to develop a heavy crusted-in dirt layer, and will likely have pits. It really depends on the soil makeup, though. From time to time, a few IH's will come out of the ground in relatively great shape, which makes for a nice find. :)

Cladius said:
Good going Angle! See you are breaking in a new shovel! Wear the old one out? :lol: I got your pm and yes I would. cladius.

Yeah, my old shovel cracked on me! I was really putting it to work! :lol:

I got your PM too. Sounds good to me! :)

Great finds and great pics. That IH is amazing. Congrats!

Could there have been an old school or church nearby that burnt? Reason being, in the bell pic it looks like charcoal bits in the soil matrix, which resembles my digs from burnt buildings or ash dumps. It would be great to track it down if so.

Good Swingin

Thanks bear and mxt. :)

Bear, the bell about three inches in height (I'm at the office so I don't have a precise measurement) and it is somewhat on the heavy side. :grin:

Mxt, I think those are actually hardened soil particles, at least from what I could tell when I had examined it. Your thought is interesting though. I will have to take another close look at it. :)

What a great day of hunting look,s like you had a lot of fun hunting :!:

Back
Top Bottom