Tough day at the tot lot

OZ_IL

Forum Supporter
Hit a playground area that consists of 3 separate play areas. Knew I was in trouble when I didn't get a single hit around the playground equipment on the first play area. The 3 areas produced just 1 Q, 1 D, 1 N and 1 P. I saw a squad pull up and talk to someone I know in the parking lot. Guy said the officer told him I wouldn't have much luck as the playground was heavily hit. No kidding!

Had days like that with a whole lot less to show for. You must have quite a bit of competition in that area.

Had days like that, also.  I don't have much competition except for myself.  The weather is cooler, it has rained some, so the kids don't go outside as much.  One week I'll find alot, the next week, hardly anything at all.  It will get slower until spring, then will pick up again.

DM

Yeah, me too..been there, done that..I've got one out-of-town tot lot I hit every 2 weeks...has that great fine beach sand I love to hunt in..first time there, coins all over the place...last 5 trips, a total of 2 pennies and 1 nickel..I evidently got somebody's attention with my first raid on their site...but one of these days.. somebody's going to lose one of those nice gold rings on the day I show up..and after the locals have made their daily collection...and they won't even know what they missed.. HH Roadrunner_426

OZ - had one of those tot lots recently. I had done about 1/2 of the lot and NOTHING! I ran out of batteries so I guess I was fortunate that I couldn't finish.

When you don't find coins and/or jewelry at a woodchip play area, its safe to assume that you are not the only hen in the roost.
I have a few that I know no one else hits as there are always plenty of finds that regenerate within weeks, but there are also some I am sure are being tapped, and often I can see the evidence of unfilled holes and disturbed chips all over the place.
Best thing to do is get around and hit locations as far out as practical, or hit some run down neighborhoods if ya got the nerve. Some of my best finds have been in ghetto lots, where I am guessing not many are into metal detecting, and not many who are care to go to them.

X-
I have done those tot lots in run down areas - and they produce! :yes:

Mayby you would be interested in my new Taser attachment goes on the end of your stick. Also activates an ear piercing alarm.

I live close to Memphis, in those play grounds you would need a Doberman and armor and someone would probably steal the dog!

A 15,000v stun gun convieniently disguised as a pinpointer - What a brainstorm !
Seriously, I can well see why some would not want to go to ghetto lots, just not worth the chance of being messed with.
I am used to living dangerously, grew up in a big city, am only in my mid 30's and in the best shape of my life, and also have a CCW permit so I tend to look at it as a challenge of sorts.

I have kind of the opposite problem here. 1st thing is there are few if any other detectorists around here (locally). 2nd, This area went "Tot Lot Crazy" I have 40 parks and about the same number of schools within 10 minutes. Add in the churches and private schools which also have their own Tot Lots, and we're talkin about a hundred. Trouble is they are not used as frequently due to the quantity, nor do they regenerate quickly. I visit the "better ones" once or twice a year. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that most of our yuppie suburbanites with kids build their own Tot Lots in their yards because they are more "convenient".

WThesing said:
I have kind of the opposite problem here. 1st thing is there are few if any other detectorists around here (locally). 2nd, This area went "Tot Lot Crazy" I have 40 parks and about the same number of schools within 10 minutes. Add in the churches and private schools which also have their own Tot Lots, and we're talkin about a hundred. Trouble is they are not used as frequently due to the quantity, nor do they regenerate quickly. I visit the "better ones" once or twice a year. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that most of our yuppie suburbanites with kids build their own Tot Lots in their yards because they are more "convenient".

This I believe is my exact situation as well. Within 3 miles of my house there must be 20 tot lots. As I've just started detecting, gas is so expensive, and I have so little time to detect, I haven't venture further than that yet. But within 10 miles there must be at least 100.

From what I can tell, most don't seem to be hit by other detectors. Much of the clad I find seems to by under at least a season's worth or more of mulch.

On the tot lots I've detected, I've found between 3 and 20 coins... Is that about average?

For the ones you found 3 coins at..either somebody else is cleaning them out, or they aren't used...around here, there's a guy who searches a group of about 7 of the tot lots on a daily basis...I ran across him one morning and we talked for a while..best as I can tell, he drives about a 10 mile loop to get to everything...if he breaks even on gas, I'd be surprised, but I guess that's just his thing...needless to say, nothing has time to accumulate....I've got one large out of town lot that gets a great deal of use, and which I don't think anyone else hunts...it accumulates about 25 coins weekly, and for some wonderful reason, a disproportionate number of quarters.. HH Roadrunner

Back
Top Bottom