Second Day Findings

z118

Forum Supporter
Okay... day two with the detector... hit a few local parks. The first had endless beer caps, and I couldn't figure out how to work around them. I found a little bit of clad, some fishing weights (by a creek), and some rifle shells.

On the way home in the rain, I decided to hit a local playground. It was pretty gratifying. Lots of clad, easy digging. Nice. What fun it is to find coin after coin in a mulch playground!

On several occasion in the first park I had nice signals, dug a large hole, only to find a huge piece of rusted metal 8'' or more down - too large to pull out, I assumed it was just scrap in each case.

Anyway, here's a pic. I feel like I'm doing alright for my second day!

Attachments

• findingsII.JPG
    findingsII.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 265
Nice !
here is a tip: When you get a signal that may be that huge piece of iron, lift your detector 8 inches off the ground. If it still rings it would most likely be a large object. Or four gold bars together. I do not dig those type signals. If I do it turns out to be an old plow part or shovel. (I have not found them gold bars yet)

Good work with the new detector!!
Jeff

Good going! Seeing you are finding nickles is a good sign you are using your machine well. cladius.

That's a great haul for only a second try. Keep at it, and before you know it, that first silver or gold will pop out!

Josh said:
What kind of detector did you go with for starting out?

Josh,

I went with the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. I really went back and forth for a very long time between the Tracker IV and the Ace 250, which everyone seems to recommend. Budget wise, however, I had to settle for the Tracker.

So far I like it. I would equate buying a detector with buying a stereo. You can get a really basic stereo cheap, or you can get something very pricey that sounds great. But no matter what, you are going to hear music. I'm out there metal detecting, and I'm finding stuff. I may be missing things that the next guy with a $1000 detector will find, and I may be diggin up more junk than him, but I'm still finding plenty of good stuff myself, and I'm having fun doing it.

I also think that starting with the Tracker IV will make me enjoy my next, better detector all the more. Especially since hopefully all the clad I have found with the Tracker will pay for it.

Thanks!

z118 said:
Josh said:
What kind of detector did you go with for starting out?

Josh,

I went with the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. I really went back and forth for a very long time between the Tracker IV and the Ace 250, which everyone seems to recommend. Budget wise, however, I had to settle for the Tracker.

So far I like it. I would equate buying a detector with buying a stereo. You can get a really basic stereo cheap, or you can get something very pricey that sounds great. But no matter what, you are going to hear music. I'm out there metal detecting, and I'm finding stuff. I may be missing things that the next guy with a $1000 detector will find, and I may be diggin up more junk than him, but I'm still finding plenty of good stuff myself, and I'm having fun doing it.

I also think that starting with the Tracker IV will make me enjoy my next, better detector all the more. Especially since hopefully all the clad I have found with the Tracker will pay for it.

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice. I'm also leaning towards the ACE 250. I just hope it will get me in the ball park compared to some of the nice models out there. Like you said, I really dont want to end up missing a lot of good stuff because a lower priced model isn't as good. But, maybe its the other way around and i won't miss anything, just get more junk.

Josh,

I've decided that if I worry too much about great stuff that may be there but I'm missing because of my low brow detector, it will ruin the hobby for me. As long as I'm finding some good stuff, I'm happy.

If money wasn't an issue, i would have gotten the Ace 250, but having settled for the Tracker IV, I'm very happy with it.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom