my best ever find from 1999

eddy1V

when i detected this way back in 99. at first i hadnt a clue what it was, i was detecting near an old roman road. i took it to my local museum, i went back a week later ,to be told it was a bronze /middle iron age bangle /bracelet. nearly 3000 years old. i couldnt believe what i was hearing,
had i been the first person to touch it since then, it was eventualy sent off to the british museum in london ,for conformation.
i took the archeology team to where i had found it. some time later. where they unearthed quite a lot of great finds. mostly pottery.
my local museum asked if i was in a position to donate the item. of which i said no.
they were not in a position to give me a value. it was not there job ,was the explanation,
they did however ,and this is true ,offer me the contents of the collection box at the entrance , for the next 12 months. how strange is that,
i declined there offer.
my problem was i couldnt get a value, there was nothing to compare it with,
after months of research and talkin to experts on the phone.
from all over the country.
i ended up with a call from bonhams auction house in london,
there verdict was, it could sell for 80/800/8,000/80,0000 they just did not know so it was a risk,
so at this moment in time it sits with my solicitor in safe hands.
and so has been for the last 8 year. to pass to my daughter, should i leave this world enexpectadly.
bitsnpics005-1.jpg

bitsnpics006-1.jpg

did it not go as treasure trove? I thought all finds like that were sent off for investigation/ruling. From my experience there, they always knew what it was and how much it was worth. they sey a valuation and if no museum wanted it, you got it back. What was their ruling?

I should of mentioned that its a beautiful find you have there, grats.

had it been gold or silver ,that would have been the case, it was a strange meeting with the finds expert, there was no mention of treasure trove.
at first ,i wasnt prepared to tell them where i had found it. i was being a bit cagey,
but the result of such an action, meant i wouldnt get my provinonce,
which i needed.

Might be that I'm a bit of a "Dell boy", but that sounds both dodgey and sketchy. Did they give you any documentation other than the provinonce? What does yer solicitor say about the matter?

Maybe try different museums, for their evaluation. I just can't imagine that they wouldn't declare that peice treasure trove.

well it wernt declared as treasure trove ,it went to 3 museums in total.and the british museum confirmed ,,what it was, they sent it back to my local museum. i got my provo, when they finished researching the site. and that was that. between me and my solicitor , the treasure trove thing has never been mentioned . not once . i wasnt gonna bring it up. so who knows

Well then sir, congratulations, that is one fine piece. If yer looking to get a valuation for insurance purposes, try tracking down some of those ecclectic/reclusive boffins England is famous for. I'm sure that there are several that are experts in the field and could give you a good estimate (as well as a buyer if yer so inclined).

I hope to get back to Ireland/UK this year. I'll probably wait till fall. Less tourists, costs less, and the fields are being plowed.

Keep posting yer finds, makes my resolve to get back over there stronger.

Back
Top Bottom