• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

I FINALLY got some swing time in !!!!

WThesing

Elite Member
Whew, talk about dry spells !!!!!! I got out today for about 3 hours and decided to visit the historic farm that I started "working" back in early June. I hadn't been there since mid July, and haven't detected since my vacation during the 1st half of September. I didn't find much, but I didn't get skunked either. I worked half of a 4 acre pumpkin patch that has been harvested. Besides the couple of old shotgun shell rims and a clasp for what I think belongs to a ladies undergarment, I did manage to find an 1869 Indian Head penny. It's in really crusty condition, but I think it may be a key date. The date is readable with a magnifier, and I can see the shield on the top of the reverse. Liberty's head is crusted over. Maybe it will clean up a little, but I suspect that the fertilizers used in the field over the years have done too much damage.

WTG Bill. Hope it cleans up nice for you. You gonna post a pic of it? Ain't it great to finally get out and do some hunting. Rain or shine, I'm going out this weekend. :yes:

1869 isn't a key date, but it isn't too bad at all. Nice one!

Great find. 1869--I would love to find one of those.

I have to add, we had a couple of days of steady drenching rain. When I got out yesterday it was partly sunny and things were drying up. I pulled the I.H. from in between three trash targets. It gave off the kind of signal that one would mostly ignore with an Exp. II. That "sixth sense" that some of us develop is what told me to dig ( I'm gettin better). Later I tried to work around the front yard of the farmhouse where I had found a large cent and another IH back in June. My Exp. II with the 12" Sunray went into a constant null due to the extreme concentration of nails, etc. and the moist soil. I broke out the other Explorer ( future "Excal Eater"), which I had set up with the Sunray 5". Same results. I had to switch over to the "Iron Mask" function in order to get either machine to work properly without backing down the sensitivity to the point of being ridiculous. I have hunted this front yard several times under different conditions. I just thought it interesting to see such a dramatic difference with the wet soil. My thoughts are that "optimum" conditions may be 2 or 3 days after a good soaking rain. Too much moisture makes high iron areas overly reactive with a sensitive coil/machine. It of course would vary with the type of local soil conditions. This particular yard is a rich loam soil, whereas the fields have a bit of clay mixed in.

Oh yeah, Bill. I will post a pic of the crustiest non Zlincoln coin I have ever found. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom