First Day w/Detector, First Finds

z118

Forum Supporter
Received the BH Tracker IV yesterday, hit my back yard after dinner.  What a great time!  I only had a little while to play around, and I was really trying to figure out the different settings, but I think I still had some pretty good luck.  I will attach a scan of the keepers below.

A few thoughts...

1.  I had been thinking that I would just always scan in "All metal" mode.  Wrong!  Holy cow there are a lot of rusty nails in my back yard.

2.  Figuring out how to dig a hole in the ground is more difficult then figuring out how to use the metal detector.  I can't believe how difficult it can be to find a penny in a few cupfulls of dirt.   It was an especially large hassle when whatever I detecting was in the middle of the turf roots, and not in the loose dirt below the turf.  I need to work on digging holes.

3.  After my yard, I ran down to a local park, but it was starting to get dark.  I hit seemingly endless good signals, but based on my poor hole digging skills and the impending darkness, I opted to wait for another day.

4.  It can be cold in October.

Below is a scan of my good finds...  $0.22 in clad, two wheat pennies (1937 & 1940), and a cool copper looking arrowhead with a Native American etched and painted on it.   Not pictured is all the junk I found, including a disintegrated metal mason jar lid with porcelain inserts, a ton of rusty nails and screws, a little piece of pipe, scraps metal, and foil liter.

Today I need to look at old posts to see what settings people have had success with on the Tracker IV.  I'm afraid to discriminate, because i don't want to miss anything, but I don't want to spend all day digging up junk either.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DetectFinds001.jpg
    DetectFinds001.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 325
This is one hobby that definately not be rushed...it takes time, stay with it, keep practicing.

Todd

Way to go Z!! You do get use to picking and choosing what you dig and your digging will improve. Trust me I had an awful time at first. My son would laugh at me trying to do the "horseshoe". Said mine looked like a crater, now you cannot tell that I have dug at all. Well done! :lol:

Great finds!  I have been at this obsession for about a month now. Getting a little better at digging holes but, its deffinitely not easy to do with out tearing things up. I spend a lot of time at playgrounds and sand volleyball courts at local parks. I have not ventured out onto the grassy areas out of fear of doing to much damage. (You should see my own yard!) :lol: practice makes perfect and time heals all divots in the grass. Thanks for sharing.

Jack

Great job Z. It seems like the question about digging holes comes up a lot for people new to the hobby. A few months back I ordered the plug popper from the Jimmy Sierra website and all I can say is it has help with digging holes as much as a pinpointer helps with finding items in the hole. I got a chance to use it quite a bit before my last surgery that I'm still recovering from and I would recommend it to anyone for parks and lawns.

My MXT does a great job at pinpointing but i have nicked a few older Wheaties that had been in the ground a while. I think the only way anyone would not like this tool is if their machine didn't pinpoint accurately. It is a great tool for digging and covering holes like you were never there.

Here is the link www.jimmysierra.com

Good luck and enjoy

Looks alot like my first day except I only found one penny! Any day though, I can feel it!

Two wheaties on your first day is excellent..if there are wheats, there may be silver there also.. HH Roadrunner_426

Roadrunner...

I've gone over my whole yard now, more than once, so I don't think there's any silver out there (my house as built in 1920, btw). To be honest, I don't think I get what the deal is with silver coins. Pre 1965 dimes and quarters, 90 something percent silver... Are they worth anything? Or is it just the appeal of finding an old coin? I feel like if I paid attention to the change I got everyday I would find dimes and quarters this old in circulation. Is this correct?

Thanks!

im new to this too ive been diggin holes that are a foot wide i cant imagine any other way somepeople say they use a screwdriver i cant believe thats true all the coins i have found are at least four inches in the ground ive been at this for two years and no matter what i use its not easy it may be types of soil that makes the difference i hesitate using my army entreching tool but ive thought about it quite a lot happy hunting

z118 said:
Roadrunner... 
To be honest, I don't think I get what the deal is with silver coins.  Pre 1965 dimes and quarters, 90 something percent silver...  Are they worth anything?  Or is it just the appeal of finding an old coin?  I feel like if I paid attention to the change I got everyday I would find dimes and quarters this old in circulation.  Is this correct?

Well take a look at the price of silver these days and you'll understand that when you find a silver dime, it's going to be worth well more than 10 cents in silver value alone.

Finding silver in change does happen, but not that often. I myself personally scan my change all the time and have only found one silver coin in change, and that was a 1943 war nickel. A coworker of mine received a '57 dime at a toll both not too long ago as well.

Other than the nickel, i have found 5-6 wheaties in change.

So in about 1 year or searching my change, i have 6 wheaties and 1 silver nickel.

Another way to "cheat" is roll searching. Go to the bank and buy $20 in pennies and just search through them. You are almost garanteed to find wheat cents. Just pull out the wheaties, replace them with newer pennies and then go exchange them again some other time. It's great for rainy or snowy weekends when you have nothing to do.

If you search pennies, you'll find a lot of wheats, but if you try to search dimes and nickels, you might only find 1 or two silver coins in $20-30 worth of coins. I've done every denomination and pennies gives you the most "keepers" with dimes coming in second

Great job on your first time out! If I were you I would stick to the tot lots at first until you learn your detector and how to pinpoint targets with some precision. After you master the pinpointing I would practice in you own yard cutting a 3 to 4 inch U-shaped flap in the turf and scoop out the dirt onto a piece of plastic or cloth. If you don't have a pinpointer you can always use a plastic cup to test the dirt over your coil to see if the target is in that cup of dirt. Then simply dump the dirt off the cloth into the hole and close the flap. Hope this helps.

Some great finds on you first time out. The silver coins are more about the challenge of finding them than value. Right now, they go for about 8 times face value unless you get a key date. WTG!

Back
Top Bottom