unreal find civil/ Spanish American war hero

HannibalNectar

Elite Member
So I decided to head out to a field behind the county jail. It was a mental hospital/jail that burned down in 1800s. The rubble is spread under the field. I started with a lock plate to the old cells. It has #1 on it. Next I got a huge silver ring that I thought was part of a faucet until I glimpsed the heavily worn 925 inside. Then I got a very faint but solid hit with my at pro steady 72 &right at a full ten inches. I dug a plug thinking I might have an old coin. I was extremely careful after ten inches and it was still down there. I am now under the rubble line and under the sand fill. And it popped out untouched. I am so excited I didn't even nick it. It is a pendant or medal with navy admiral Geo Dewey on it. He is the highest ranking person ever in the navy. He fought the civil war and was a hero during the Spanish American war. Im not sure on the age but his picture is of himself around the time of the Spanish American war.
It is mint! Still has the loop for a necklace. I cant wait to find out more about this. I do know he lived in Portsmouth nh shipyard for a bit and thats right down the road from me.

Attachments

• 20150712_183638.jpg
    20150712_183638.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 515
  • 20150712_173615.jpg
    20150712_173615.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 491
  • 20150712_171507.jpg
    20150712_171507.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 489
  • 1436743723474.jpg
    1436743723474.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 487
  • 20150712_171103.jpg
    20150712_171103.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 477
Nice finds, and talk about a once in a lifetime piece of history...holly cow you certainly got a good one there. I have never seen one or heard about any such pieces ever dug before.CONGRATS

awesome-----great addition to your collection for sure thanks for posting

Can anyone tell me what I should put on this. When its wet it is so perfectly detailed but as it dries it is not as crisp. Should i leave it be or should I put some sorta oil on it.? See how dull It is compared to when it was wet

Attachments

• 1436789011621.jpg
    1436789011621.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 381
I put Vaseline on the buttons I find. It helps to keep detail standing out. I'm sure it'd work well on this too. I'm always happy after I put the Vaseline on the buttons. Congrats on a super neat find!

Truly and AWSOME find. I would kill for a find of this magnitude as I have been in the navy for over 28 years now.

Although this thing screams Dewey medal (battle of Manila Bay). I am perplex. I find the medal in the Navies Listing but it does not resemble yours. If it is an official medal issued to a sailor in the US Navy who served on one of the ships supporting the battle then that sailors name along with the ship should be inscribed on the back of the medal. This is one of the few medals issued that have the names of the recipients on them. Could you please post a pick of the back of the medal? Thanks

yeah but that was sold in 2007 for $5.00 bucks. Its been 8 years since that sold, should be worth at least $5.10 now! :lol:

So I decided to head out to a field behind the county jail. It was a mental hospital/jail that burned down in 1800s. The rubble is spread under the field. I started with a lock plate to the old cells. It has #1 on it. Next I got a huge silver ring that I thought was part of a faucet until I glimpsed the heavily worn 925 inside. Then I got a very faint but solid hit with my at pro steady 72 &right at a full ten inches. I dug a plug thinking I might have an old coin. I was extremely careful after ten inches and it was still down there. I am now under the rubble line and under the sand fill. And it popped out untouched. I am so excited I didn't even nick it. It is a pendant or medal with navy admiral Geo Dewey on it. He is the highest ranking person ever in the navy. He fought the civil war and was a hero during the Spanish American war. Im not sure on the age but his picture is of himself around the time of the Spanish American war.
It is mint! Still has the loop for a necklace. I cant wait to find out more about this. I do know he lived in Portsmouth nh shipyard for a bit and thats right down the road from me.

what a great hunt..congrats

Truly and AWSOME find. I would kill for a find of this magnitude as I have been in the navy for over 28 years now.

Although this thing screams Dewey medal (battle of Manila Bay). I am perplex. I find the medal in the Navies Listing but it does not resemble yours. If it is an official medal issued to a sailor in the US Navy who served on one of the ships supporting the battle then that sailors name along with the ship should be inscribed on the back of the medal. This is one of the few medals issued that have the names of the recipients on them. Could you please post a pick of the back of the medal? Thanks

So I took some time soaking it and ive cleaned up the back and it has ( c m Robbins maker attleboro mass usa) I post a pic of it when its done

Back
Top Bottom