Fabricated a new shovel

Flapjack

Elite Member
I made a new shovel for myself because I was wanting something a little longer and wider than my lesche shovel. I used 3/16" flat bar stock for the blade and 1" type M copper tubing for the shaft and handle. I also attached a copper bus bar that I had hanging around so that I could hang the shovel from my belt when needed. I've been using it in the woods lately and it works great. I might make another style but with 1/8" flat stock instead of the 3/16" to lighten it up a little. I used tig for the whole project. Thanks for looking.
IMG_4067.jpg

0.jpg

IMG_4068.jpg

I would suggest to add the L-bracket like the Ground Shark has.

Thank you for the suggestion. I never really liked the bracket that holds the rubber step on the ground shark, it sticks out very far and always seems to be getting in the way. I made my step wide enough to push the shovel into the ground and the shovel is much more manageable without that step on the ground shark sticking out. As far as adding strength to the connection between the blade and the shaft, it is totally unnecessary on my shovel because of the gauge of steel that I used for the blade and the soundness of the connection to the shaft with the solid bar stock that I used for that connection.

Thank you for the suggestion. I never really liked the bracket that holds the rubber step on the ground shark, it sticks out very far and always seems to be getting in the way. I made my step wide enough to push the shovel into the ground and the shovel is much more manageable without that step on the ground shark sticking out. As far as adding strength to the connection between the blade and the shaft, it is totally unnecessary on my shovel because of the gauge of steel that I used for the blade and the soundness of the connection to the shaft with the solid bar stock that I used for that connection.

"As far as adding strength to the connection between the blade and the shaft, it is totally unnecessary on my shovel because of the gauge of steel that I used for the blade and the soundness of the connection to the shaft with the solid bar stock that I used for that connection."

That was my only reason for suggesting the bracket. Those weld spots without a bracket, is where my other similar shovels have eventually bent. Neither of the Ground Sharks of mine ever bent in the least bit. I am not a GS fan mind you, but they are definitely rugged.

That was my only reason for suggesting the bracket. Those weld spots without a bracket, is where my other similar shovels have eventually bent. Neither of the Ground Sharks of mine ever bent in the least bit. I am not a GS fan mind you, but they are definitely rugged.

I agree that's the point where there would be a failure on my shovel if I had used similar materials to what is used on most shovels, and then I would need a bracket. But I made sure that my welds were stout and sound at those connection points so there would be no possibility of a failure of the weld joint.
I liked the ground shark when I first bought it years ago, but over time I started to dislike how much the step stuck out and I was getting tired of the shortness of the shovel. SalemScott is taller than I am and the shortness of his ground shark annoyed him so much that I did lengthen it for him so he wouldn't need to be bending over so much while digging a target. But, he eventually abandoned the GS I think mostly because of the narrowness of the blade.
thanks again

Nice workmanship!!! Have you considered a hook to hook it onto your back pocket? I use a green military shovel and use the pick to hook into my back pocket.

Nice workmanship!!! Have you considered a hook to hook it onto your back pocket? I use a green military shovel and use the pick to hook into my back pocket.
Yes, it does have a hook to hang it from my belt. I also use a ReadyShovel holder to hang it from my belt.belt clip.jpg

Nice shovel build,the only thing I question is how strong is the copper handle when you start prying your plugs out, it does look really nice though.
If anything happens to it I will replace the shaft with type "L" copper tubing. It is built with type "M" at this time.

Back
Top Bottom