• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Gold Nugget

Greg408

I’m sure Tom in Salinas will post a longer thread about this hunt so I’ll save my thumbs, but I was very happy with this find, my first gold nugget. It’s a biggun’ weighing it at about 1/3 ounce.

I was happy to pull the 1853 dime in great shape and the miner’s buckle on the same hunt.

0a841e1ee01b199cb844079ab4208b8b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:wow:

Awesome finds! Major congrats!

How bout a little tiny bit of detail about the type of location found, cause I can only guess it’s a old stage stop aka one of Tom’s back pocket sites? :lol:

Last edited:
That nugget is mind blowing...to me! No raw gold in Arkansas, but we have diamonds. I'd rather we have gold in the ground myself. I haven't ever been to the Crater of Diamonds here, don't feel like raking the ground and sight hunting them.

I’m sure Tom in Salinas will post a longer thread about this hunt so I’ll save my thumbs, but I was very happy with this find, my first gold nugget. It’s a biggun’ weighing it at about 1/3 ounce.

I was happy to pull the 1853 dime in great shape and the miner’s buckle on the same hunt.

Goodness. Those three finds in the same hunt? That makes up for a few months of nails and pull tabs.

That buckle!! Are you sure it is a miners buckle and not one of these?

http://www.relicman.com/plates/zLibraryPlate.190.MilitiaTwoPartSash.htm

These are one of the more common buckles that are found in gold camps in California. I am not an expert by a long stretch on their origins. Note the roped border on mine. That may be one of the features that differentiate them from the one on the link you shared. I have a book at home that has more info on these. I’ll share a pic of the relevant page after work.

These are one of the more common buckles that are found in gold camps in California. I am not an expert by a long stretch on their origins. Note the roped border on mine. That may be one of the features that differentiate them from the one on the link you shared. I have a book at home that has more info on these. I’ll share a pic of the relevant page after work.

Darn, I was getting kinda excited for you!

.....cause I can only guess it’s a old stage stop aka one of Tom’s back pocket sites? :lol:

Actually, this one site was entirely Greg's doing. So it's fitting that he's cashing in on some good finds. I am actually the sub-invitee in this case !

Greg got inspired, over the last year or two, watching some other guys in CA sporting cool stuff (old seateds, gold coins, etc....). So he got busy on the research, and found this site. Very fun to hunt with him and the other Greg !

Actually, this one site was entirely Greg's doing. So it's fitting that he's cashing in on some good finds. I am actually the sub-invitee in this case !

Greg got inspired, over the last year or two, watching some other guys in CA sporting cool stuff (old seateds, gold coins, etc....). So he got busy on the research, and found this site. Very fun to hunt with him and the other Greg !

Just plain awesome. Thanks :). Inspiring!

....I would have messed my pants if I found that.

I was at some other end of the site when he found that. But , as I understand it, he called for our 3rd friend to come over and behold it. While it was still sitting there, un-disturbed @ the side of the hole . Ie.: "Nerves of steel" not to immediately grab it to fondle, and check out.

And according to our 3rd friend, all that Greg could say repeatedly was "dude, dude , dude". :laughing:

I don't think I'd have had that control (or recognition of what it was, doh !).

Was awesome to see that shining in the pile.... Tom wasnt kidding. All Greg said for me to come over was "dude". After he found it and put it in his finds tray, all he did was do lazy circles with the coil swinging every which way haha. He was definitely on cloud 9!

Greg

Back
Top Bottom