1965 quarter?

CarsonChris

Elite Member
I’ve read that there were some accidental 65 quarters minted out of .90 silver. How would you tell if you have a 65 silver quarter? I’ve found a couple of 65 quarters the last year that don’t have the clad tarnish.

The weight will be different, and likely the sound when you drop it on a countertop.

Did a search and found this link - https://coins.thefuntimesguide.com/1965-silver-quarter/

from the above link:

So… how would you know if you have a 1965 silver quarter?

It’s actually pretty easy to tell a 1965 silver quarter apart from a 1965 clad quarter simply by using a scale that can measure down to the hundredth of a gram. Gram scales can be bought at some department stores or online.

To see if you have any 1965 silver quarters, pull out all of your old 1965 quarters — and your gram scale — and start weighing them:

All 90% silver Washington quarters weigh 6.25 grams (give or take a few hundredths of a gram for wear and planchet differences).

All copper-nickel clad Washington quarters weigh 5.67 grams (again, give or take a few hundredths of a gram).

The Bottom Line…

So… if you’ve got a 1965 quarter that weighs more than 6 grams, it’s worth getting inspected in-hand by a coin certification firm that encapsulates coins in plastic slabs.

But if your 1965 quarters weigh less than 6 grams, it’s ok to spend them!

(end of quote)

Look at the edge. non silver quarters and you can see copper.
Some were made on accident but there are plenty of silver quarters still being made. You can find silver quarters of any year.

The weight will be different, and likely the sound when you drop it on a countertop.

Did a search and found this link - https://coins.thefuntimesguide.com/1965-silver-quarter/

from the above link:

So… how would you know if you have a 1965 silver quarter?

It’s actually pretty easy to tell a 1965 silver quarter apart from a 1965 clad quarter simply by using a scale that can measure down to the hundredth of a gram. Gram scales can be bought at some department stores or online.

To see if you have any 1965 silver quarters, pull out all of your old 1965 quarters — and your gram scale — and start weighing them:

All 90% silver Washington quarters weigh 6.25 grams (give or take a few hundredths of a gram for wear and planchet differences).

All copper-nickel clad Washington quarters weigh 5.67 grams (again, give or take a few hundredths of a gram).

The Bottom Line…

So… if you’ve got a 1965 quarter that weighs more than 6 grams, it’s worth getting inspected in-hand by a coin certification firm that encapsulates coins in plastic slabs.

But if your 1965 quarters weigh less than 6 grams, it’s ok to spend them!

(end of quote)

That's what I call some good Intel!

Can you provide a reference to the above? It's in contrary to this:

https://coinsite.com/us-silver-coins-when-they-ended-and-what-theyre-worth/

Curious, Thanks!

Here you go
https://catalog.usmint.gov/coins/silver-coins/silver-quarters/

The US Mint makes commemorative coins and silver proof sets. They occasionally end up in circulation when someone dies and the person going through their stuff doesn't know what they are or someone steals them and spends them at the liquor store.

Simple, tissue test.
Take one clad, and one silver quarter and lay side by side.
Place one single sheet of tissue and lay on coins.
The clad coin will appear dark, the silver coin white.

Silver 90% quarters were also minted from 1992-present in S mint form. Non silver clad S mint coins were also produced.

2020 S mint quarters are .999 silver for the first time.

I hate 1965 quarters. They made massive amounts because of switching from silver and they are everywhere. It's the same as a 10lb bass spitting the lure in you face So close and yet so far away. Horse shoes and hand grenades. Missed it by that much.

another fun test is ice cubes. At room temperature lay a clad coin on a ice cube and it just lays there. lay a silver coin on an ice cube and it will melt into the ice. Side by side and you can see a huge difference. Drop test is my go to test they sound totally different dropped on the counter top.

Here you go
https://catalog.usmint.gov/coins/silver-coins/silver-quarters/

The US Mint makes commemorative coins and silver proof sets. They occasionally end up in circulation when someone dies and the person going through their stuff doesn't know what they are or someone steals them and spends them at the liquor store.

I see, you were referring to coins produced and sold for collectors/investors.
I wouldn't consider them as something a metal detectorist would find in the ground, although I guess it's remotely possible....

I stand corrected!

O boy! I remember digging a 65 and thought I had a 64 because it came out shiny, had no copper at the edge and just had that silver look period. I then saw the date 1965 and tossed it in my spendable clad. I think I had one. My loss. Ha ha. Maybe lost some money there. It had come out so good looking like some of my silvers in past. Some have that black but not this one.

I'm amazed by how nice 1965 quarters look compared to the junk they mint today. Those early clad quarters look like they were just minted, but State quarters deteriorate in the ground right away.

Like everything else they make them as cheaply as possible.

I see, you were referring to coins produced and sold for collectors/investors.
I wouldn't consider them as something a metal detectorist would find in the ground, although I guess it's remotely possible....

I stand corrected!

I'd say it's a lot more than a remote possibility, The coin roll hunters find them fairly often. The Mint sells a bunch of the proof sets. I buy them for the wife for Christmas and I have bought close to a dozen as congrats on the new baby gifts. I don't think the serious collectors pay much attention to them. They are given away as presents and if the recipient doesn't care or know any better they end up getting spent.

Back
Top Bottom