• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Nostalgia ......remembering the fun stuff from when we were kids !

I got dizzzzy looking at it

:laughing:

got to love some of those old adds, very creative for the times , bring back lots of memories .

Yep, back then there were many commercials that were fun and you actually enjoyed looking at them instead of simply waiting for it to be done :laughing:

Grew up in the 1960's. We didn't even have a TV for many years, although that was somewhat rare. My parents bought an encyclopedia set (like wikipedia, but printed in books), loved sitting around and reading that. Grew up in the country so rode the ponies of all the neighbors whose kids had grown up and moved away. Man, those were vicious beasts. Riding bikes. Building tree houses. Used to ride my horse to the nearest store (an old-timey convenience store) and buy all my friend's cigarettes. It was a quarter a pack (50 cents?). Dancing wildly to vinyl records, not cool stuff. "Building" stuff with random wood, nails, hammers, PVC pipe, whatever. Making dirt ramps to ride our bikes over. Going to town to do the weekly laundry and also visit the library. There were 3 of us kids and we'd play cards except we'd have to hide behind the living room chairs so no one could cheat by looking at each other's cards. You'd have to crawl out to the middle of the floor to draw or leave cards. When we moved to California (Central Valley) we swam in the irrigation canals, freeezzzziiinnnggg cold water from the bottom of the reservoirs. We raised some quail from eggs that didn't hatch from the nest the mother built in our yard. One lived to adult hood.

Neat, you had a rural childhood many kids would have looked at as an adventure :shock:

Wow, many kids back then would have loved to ride a pony to get around, especially back in the days when the old westerns were so popular, I grew up in the suburbs so that really wasn't an option :lol: (I live in in a semi-rural area now)

Yep, it was fun to build forts and treehouses out of whatever scrap material you could find, and it seemed we would play the 500 Rummy card game a lot, I guess as a diversion from playing Monopoly so much :lol:

Probably the most unusual wildlife I remember having was a pet Chameleon lizard I got thru a mail order ad, it ended up escaping in the back yard, also I liked getting those Venus Fly Trap plants as it was amazing to see a plant that was so unusual.

Back when KFC commercials were scary as heck!

:laughing: Neat, either I didn't see that one or just don't remember seeing it.

I worked part time for a short while at a Gino's restaurant after I turned 15 and back when I worked there (I think somewhere about 1968-69) they had the rights to make KFC chicken. After being trained to make fries, burgers, take orders, I was eventually trained to make the KFC chicken, the chicken went into a milk-like bath, and then coated with the flour after the seasoning mix had been mixed in, and yes the packets that had the secret herbs and spices did not have the ingredients listed :lol:

Family saving S&H green stamps

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...+stamps&tsc=ImageHoverTitle&form=IGRE&first=1 Rember a drawer full of books saving for some big family purchase , and putting the new stamps in the book after a shopping trip. Don't recall what we got with them , maybe a kitchen appliance . Pretty good sales gamic back then every one saved them. :laughing: had big catalogs of all the wonderful things you could earn,https://www.bing.com/images/search?...9800E88&selectedIndex=2&ajaxhist=0&ajaxserp=0

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...+stamps&tsc=ImageHoverTitle&form=IGRE&first=1 Rember a drawer full of books saving for some big family purchase , and putting the new stamps in the book after a shopping trip. Don't recall what we got with them , maybe a kitchen appliance . Pretty good sales gamic back then every one saved them. :laughing: had big catalogs of all the wonderful things you could earn,https://www.bing.com/images/search?...9800E88&selectedIndex=2&ajaxhist=0&ajaxserp=0

Definitely a neat part of nostalgia Dave, I remember us saving Green Stamps when I was a kid, and also not sure what if anything we got with them, I'm sure something :lol:

Found an article on S&H Green Stamps:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%26H_Green_Stamps

a quote from the above link:

"During the 1960s, the company promoted its rewards catalog as being the largest publication in the United States and boasted that it issued three times as many stamps as the U.S. Postal Service. Customers received stamps at the checkout counter of supermarkets, department stores, and gasoline stations among other retailers, that could be redeemed for products in the catalog" (end of quote)

:laughing: Don't remember ever hearing of "Flavos" but I'm guessing the name "Flavos" didn't seem to equate to "flavor" :lol:

I seem to remember our local drive-in that I would walk to and sit on one of the benches outside the concession stand had "shrimp rolls" but they were one of the more expensive items so I don't remember ever trying theirs, my concession stand budget as a kid made me want to choose the less expensive items that would fill me up more, like the boxes of popcorn :lol:
:popcorn:
Flavos WAS a shrimp roll. Maybe in your area the shrimp rolls had a different name. In the commercial for Flavos they said "Flavos...... they're SHRIMPLY delicious". :lol:

Flavos WAS a shrimp roll. Maybe in your area the shrimp rolls had a different name. In the commercial for Flavos they said "Flavos...... they're SHRIMPLY delicious". :lol:

Thanks for specifying they were shrimp rolls, I do remember our local drive-in theater having shrimp rolls but don't remember if they called them a brand name, offhand I don't seem to remember the name "Flavos" but since I knew the shrimp rolls were out of my concession stand budget range as a kid I was not too focused on them :lol:

I just did a search and found a vintage ad for Flavos

I tended to focus more on the popcorn, as it could last a while and fill you up more for less money than most if not all of their other snacks :lol:

Thanks for specifying they were shrimp rolls, I do remember our local drive-in theater having shrimp rolls but don't remember if they called them a brand name, offhand I don't seem to remember the name "Flavos" but since I knew the shrimp rolls were out of my concession stand budget range as a kid I was not too focused on them :lol:

I just did a search and found a vintage ad for Flavos

I tended to focus more on the popcorn, as it could last a while and fill you up more for less money than most if not all of their other snacks :lol:

wonder if they were anything like these https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...mp-4-Oz-Pack-Of-12_1024x1024.jpg?v=1636520213 we buy them at Asian grocery stores pretty good. Don't recall the others but when we were lucky enough to go to a drive in we brought our own snacks to save money . There were 4 kids in the family and my dad was a school teacher so money was tight.

wonder if they were anything like these https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...mp-4-Oz-Pack-Of-12_1024x1024.jpg?v=1636520213 we buy them at Asian grocery stores pretty good. Don't recall the others but when we were lucky enough to go to a drive in we brought our own snacks to save money . There were 4 kids in the family and my dad was a school teacher so money was tight.

Actually that bag of baked shrimp chips at that link looks like it might be tasty ! :lol: (I like that they are baked instead of fried)
(but I don't think that is what Flavos were if I am guessing right)

.....not 100% sure about if the "Flavos" are exactly like this but I think the Flavos shrimp rolls might be more along the line of something like at the pics below, an outer wrapping that was rolled up with shrimp and other things like chinese cabbage and cooked. (basically an "egg roll" with shrimp as the meat)
shrimprolls1.jpgSHRIMP~2.jpg

(haven't bought them in a really long time but in the past I'd very occasionally get a pack of some brand of the frozen shrimp rolls from the grocery store that you just needed to heat in an oven)

AAA trip tik

Or if you were a AAA Club member, you could have a "state of the art" TripTik made at your local AAA.

IMG_3180.jpg

IMG_3181.jpg

i did that for a recent trip as a back up in case the GPS failed , they still make them. I have been in remote areas where cell towers are few and far between . Also great to help mark out sights along the way. When my daughter was living down in Arkansas we did hit some areas of no cell service during miles and miles of cotton fields and few road signs. :laughing:

i did that for a recent trip as a back up in case the GPS failed , they still make them. I have been in remote areas where cell towers are few and far between . Also great to help mark out sights along the way. When my daughter was living down in Arkansas we did hit some areas of no cell service during miles and miles of cotton fields and few road signs. :laughing:

Hmm, I didn't know they still made them.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ZaoAAOSwzvNijr1c/s-l500.jpg how did we ever get from here to there with out a device telling us where to turn. Be fun to see some of the young ones try to make a cross country trip with a map only .:laughing:

I remember using paper maps :lol:

Or if you were a AAA Club member, you could have a "state of the art" TripTik made at your local AAA.

We are AAA members, but have been using GPS for so long hadn't even thought of using a map in a long while :lol:

Neat, other option would be if you had a map downloaded on your phone that you could view even without phone service.

Hmm, I didn't know they still made them.

Good to know just in case, though we are so used to GPS now, it's hard not to use GPS when your dashboard has a large screen with a map constantly showing your location :lol: and you can have voice directions also if needed.

I always thought these were great. I only remember getting one once though.

180893841_45c54027dc_b.jpg

Neat machine, thanks for sharing that !

Helium balloons were really fun as a kid, though I don't remember seeing any machines for them before, perhaps they might not have made those machines till sometime after the 60's though.

don't think i ever saw one of those :laughing:

I think I could still have fun with a helium balloon now - maybe try tying one of those chemical light sticks that glow for hours to one and let it soar at night though with the weight it might not get much higher than just over the treetops :lol:

Helium balloons were really fun as a kid, though I don't remember seeing any machines for them before, perhaps they might not have made those machines till sometime after the 60's though.

I think I could still have fun with a helium balloon now - maybe try tying one of those chemical light sticks that glow for hours to one and let it soar at night though with the weight it might not get much higher than just over the treetops :lol:

Several balloons with glowsticks in a frame should equal new UFO sighing's :laughing:

I remember using paper maps :lol:

We are AAA members, but have been using GPS for so long hadn't even thought of using a map in a long while :lol:

Neat, other option would be if you had a map downloaded on your phone that you could view even without phone service.

Good to know just in case, though we are so used to GPS now, it's hard not to use GPS when your dashboard has a large screen with a map constantly showing your location :lol: and you can have voice directions also if needed.

my old truck (1989) has no large screens to watch , so have to use the GPS on the phone , but always good to have a back up plan . Even if the map stays in the glove box and the map service is free if you are a member and the maps updated right off the internet . Another thing about the maps you can study them for nearby attractions .They also offer books on each state that show attractions and places you might want to explore. These were a lot of help when we went to Colorado last year in deciding what to visit and see.

I'm sure it was after the 60s. I would have seen them in the early 80s. I haven't seen one in the wild in probably decades now.

my old truck (1989) has no large screens to watch , so have to use the GPS on the phone , but always good to have a back up plan . Even if the map stays in the glove box and the map service is free if you are a member and the maps updated right off the internet . Another thing about the maps you can study them for nearby attractions .They also offer books on each state that show attractions and places you might want to explore. These were a lot of help when we went to Colorado last year in deciding what to visit and see.

In our other car without a screen (Kia Soul) we used to use the talking GPS phone app but would have it connected to the radio speaker via bluetooth so we could hear the directions right from the car radio.

Our Prius Prime XLE came with a large screen and GPS voice guidance built in.

Since the Prius Prime gets much better gas mileage (now averaging over 110 MPG overall) we usually use that for any longer trips and also where we might need directions to any place we might need help finding.

Back
Top Bottom