• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Nostalgia ......remembering the fun stuff from when we were kids !

GKL

Forum Supporter
Nostalgia ......remembering the fun stuff from when we were kids !

On another thread we got off the original topic and we got to talking about stuff when we were kids and it was fun so I figured maybe we needed a thread specifically titled for posting about when we were kids. (now I realize that while life did seem so much simpler back then, things were not perfect, there were problems and injustices in the world but this thread is simply to focus on the fun stuff from when we were kids and not get political, thanks ! (not saying anyone would)

I'll occasionally had a new post and others are welcome to post also !

Some posts might be about how much more inexpensive stuff was back then, about the simple but very fun toys we had back then (even the goofy stuff we got from the old comic book ads :lol:), the things we did for fun long before video games started monopolizing some kid's time, we actually played outdoors more !

Last edited:
I'll start with how much more inexpensive things were back then......

I grew up 50's and 60's (I was 10 years old for most of 1962 having a birthday in December) and we had both a Gino's fast food and a McDonald's fast food, eventually Gino's got the rights to make and sell KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) of course some years later KFC had their own places.

Wow, those 15 cent hamburgers and 10 cent fries ! (the ad says 10 cents, but I remember paying 11 cents for Gino's fries when I was in elementary school so I guess they raised the price by a penny back then :lol:)

I also remember 5 cent popsicles and 10 cent ice cream bars, as well as inexpensive soft serve ice cream from the "Mr. Softee" truck.

We had a local A&P grocery store, I seem to remember getting packs of Kool-Aid for a nickel each, also candy bars were 5 cents each.

I remember when I turned 15 I got a worker's permit to work at Gino's, they started me out making french fries, then hamburgers and manning the cash register, then I gratuated to making the famous Kentucky Fried Chicken :shock: and guess what ? the package with the secret herbs and spices came in a PLAIN wrapper with no ingredients listed :laughing:

I normally worked the day shift but one time they needed me to fill in on the evening shift and any cooked food that was left over at closing we got to bag up and take home for free and it was a lot. Even during the day shift we were allowed to eat whatever we wanted for lunch at no charge !

I also worked on the back of a Softee ice cream truck for a little while and I made sure I made the milkshakes really thick and tried to give a fair amount of ice cream in the cones and sundaes !

Here are some related pics I found online:

Gino's menu 1960
GINOSM~1.JPGGinos62.jpg

KFC menu 1969 ________________________________________ McDonald's 1960
KFC 1969.jpgMCDONA~1.jpg

GOODHU~1.JPG

imagine the coins kids might had dropped :shock:
SOFTEE.JPG

SOFTEE~1.jpgA_PAD1~1.JPG

Last edited:
90s Concert Ticket Prices

My teenage years were in the 90s. I often reminisce about these concerts AND the ticket prices!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220505-132332_Reddit.jpg
    Screenshot_20220505-132332_Reddit.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 218
From a 1977 JCP catalog, what got me hooked when I was still in the single digits looking for copper tailing next to a poor rock road that ran next to my house. Borrowed from my grandfather and never returned. Wish I still had it. Jetco Mustang.

Attachments

• jetco.jpg
    jetco.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 238
My teenage years were in the 90s. I often reminisce about these concerts AND the ticket prices!

The 90's :shock:

wow, you must be a young whippersnapper :laughing:

(just joking, all in fun ! :lol:)

From a 1977 JCP catalog, what got me hooked when I was still in the single digits looking for copper tailing next to a poor rock road that ran next to my house. Borrowed from my grandfather and never returned. Wish I still had it. Jetco Mustang.

1977 ? wish I had gotten into detecting that far back, I'm a young whippersnapper when it comes to detecting having only started in 2016 :lol:

old time claw machine

I remember there was one of those old time claw machines when I was a young kid, it was only 5 cents a play, and it had real fun toys and stuff and not the boring stuffed toys like today.

I quickly got to be really good at it, knowing the best position to set things to have a good chance of grabbing a toy. No, I didn't grab a toy every time, but I was successful enough overall to make it worth some nickels :lol:

The claw machine was this type of design:
(the outside look was the same but it had a steam-shovel type grabber at the end of the strings)
CLAWMA~1.JPG

kinda like this claw but an older looking version of that design of claw
clawmachine7.jpg

Last edited:
just think about what new cars cost when you were a kid , don't think our family ever had a new one till my parents won one in a raffle a new Corvair that they traded for a station wagon . 4 kids two adults needed the space.

just think about what new cars cost when you were a kid , don't think our family ever had a new one till my parents won one in a raffle a new Corvair that they traded for a station wagon . 4 kids two adults needed the space.

Wonder what year the Corvair and the station wagon was, but hey couldn't beat the price your parents got on the Corvair :lol:

I don't remember us ever getting a brand new car when I was a kid, but we did have a station wagon for a while. I remember when my dad had a Chevy Impala (1961 I think) and I had recently gotten my driver's license so instead of using his car for a trade-in on another used car he sold it to me for $100, not a bad car at all, had a slant 6 engine if I remember correctly.

Our first brand new car (my wife and I) was a 1999 Chevy Astro van which we still have, we had some used cars since then, then our next new car was our 2015 Kia Soul, (still have) and our most recent new car is our 2020 Toyota Prius Prime XLE (have that close to 2/3 paid off)

I have an old newspaper from 1969 somewhere and remember seeing some cars advertised just under $2000 :shock:

Here are a couple ads I just now found online:
car 1968.jpgCARS19~1.jpg

Last edited:
Talking about old cars when we were kids reminded me of this toy I seem to remember having, (or thinking it was so neat that I wish I had it :lol:)
(and no, I don't think having it would count towards your driver's ed course :lol:)
CARDAS~1.JPG

I don't think I had this airplane cockpit toy, but I dreamed about getting a pilot's license,
but I kinda think I would have needed more training than this :laughing:
AIRPLA~1.jpg

.....but I am fairly sure I remember having an airplane toy kinda like this as a kid (might had been an older version)
CAR-PL~1.jpg

:takeoff:

Last edited:
Corvair

Wonder what year the Corvair and the station wagon was, but hey couldn't beat the price your parents got on the Corvair :lol:

I don't remember us ever getting a brand new car when I was a kid, but we did have a station wagon for a while. I remember when my dad had a Chevy Impala (1961 I think) and I had recently gotten my driver's license so instead of using his car for a trade-in on another used car he sold it to me for $100, not a bad car at all, had a slant 6 engine if I remember correctly.

Our first brand new car (my wife and I) was a 1999 Chevy Astro van which we still have, we had some used cars since then, then our next new car was our 2015 Kia Soul, (still have) and our most recent new car is our 2020 Toyota Prius Prime XLE (have that close to 2/3 paid off)

I have an old newspaper from 1969 somewhere and remember seeing some cars advertised just under $2000 :shock:

Here are a couple ads I just now found online:
View attachment 499421View attachment 499422

Would of been in the first year or 2 that they made them and i think it was 2 door , was before i was old enough to drive and before it was declared to be the most dangerous car out there. The local teachers credit union gave it away at a yearly meeting. Think it was the only thing my parents ever won . Was way to small for our family so was traded in for a big station wagon which was used a lot . Here is a link on the car https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvair cost How much did a 1960 Corvair cost in 1960?
The 1960 Corvair 569 and 769 series four-door sedans were conceived as economy cars offering few amenities to keep the price competitive, with the 500 (standard model) selling for under $2,000.

Would of been in the first year or 2 that they made them and i think it was 2 door , was before i was old enough to drive and before it was declared to be the most dangerous car out there. The local teachers credit union gave it away at a yearly meeting. Think it was the only thing my parents ever won . Was way to small for our family so was traded in for a big station wagon which was used a lot . Here is a link on the car https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvair cost How much did a 1960 Corvair cost in 1960?
The 1960 Corvair 569 and 769 series four-door sedans were conceived as economy cars offering few amenities to keep the price competitive, with the 500 (standard model) selling for under $2,000.

Yeah, I think I remember hearing bad stuff about the Corvair in the past, good thing your parents simply decided to trade it in for a station wagon !

Another car that seemed to not have a stellar reputation was the Ford Pinto, not sure if it was considered dangerous, but the used Pinto my wife and I had for a while had the floorboard completely rust out in the back, I had to fasten sheet metal over it or any riders could have had their feet go thru to the ground :shock: glad when we got rid of that one.

We had an old used car that my wife and I used as a trade in when we got our Kia Soul, that used car we got at an auction and was okay for a while, but eventually I remember using coat hanger wire to hold the muffler up and the inside door panels wouldn't stay connected so I used a lot of duct tape to keep them in place :laughing: hey they took it as a trade in, I think it was one of those deals where they might guarantee so much on a trade in regardless of it's condition, hey, they wrote the rules, not me :lol:

Yeah, I think I remember hearing bad stuff about the Corvair in the past, good thing your parents simply decided to trade it in for a station wagon !

Another car that seemed to not have a stellar reputation was the Ford Pinto, not sure if it was considered dangerous, but the used Pinto my wife and I had for a while had the floorboard completely rust out in the back, I had to fasten sheet metal over it or any riders could have had their feet go thru to the ground :shock: glad when we got rid of that one.

We had an old used car that my wife and I used as a trade in when we got our Kia Soul, that used car we got at an auction and was okay for a while, but eventually I remember using coat hanger wire to hold the muffler up and the inside door panels wouldn't stay connected so I used a lot of duct tape to keep them in place :laughing: hey they took it as a trade in, I think it was one of those deals where they might guarantee so much on a trade in regardless of it's condition, hey, they wrote the rules, not me :lol:
you mean this unsafe at any speed https://www.corvair.org/index.php/h...orvairs, the United States government said NO. AND this on the Pinto exploding gas tanks https://www.tortmuseum.org/ford-pin... Pinto through production and onto the market.

I had a used English Ford Anglia, when I was going to school in Florida.
1959_ford_anglia-pic-7934716591599084548-1600x1200.jpeg

What a clunker that was! When it got cold, it wouldn't start. I'd have to push it down the driveway, jump in and pop it into second gear. After I graduated, I got a job in New Jersey so I traded it for a VW Karman Ghia and drove it from Miami to Summit NJ.

I can remember my dad striking two rocks together to start a fire going for cooking up Brontosaurus ribs. Man, they were really good, they tasted bit of like chicken.

I had a used English Ford Anglia, when I was going to school in Florida.
1959_ford_anglia-pic-7934716591599084548-1600x1200.jpeg

What a clunker that was! When it got cold, it wouldn't start. I'd have to push it down the driveway, jump in and pop it into second gear. After I graduated, I got a job in New Jersey so I traded it for a VW Karman Ghia and drove it from Miami to Summit NJ.

I think I had my share of less than spectacular used cars in years past.

Sometimes I'd tell someone I used to have a "Coast Kenharlee" and they'd looked puzzled :?:

Then I'd elaborate and say "Yep, it'd coast down one hill and could hardly get up the next !" :laughing:

:drive:

I can remember my dad striking two rocks together to start a fire going for cooking up Brontosaurus ribs. Man, they were really good, they tasted bit of like chicken.

:laughing: what was his name, Fred or Barney ? :laughing:

We made homemade kites. We would also take a 60 penny nails and tie a ribbon or thin strip of cloth to it spin it real fast and launch them a couple hundred feet into the air. A little more dangerous than lawn darts ;)

We made homemade kites. We would also take a 60 penny nails and tie a ribbon or thin strip of cloth to it spin it real fast and launch them a couple hundred feet into the air. A little more dangerous than lawn darts ;)

Wow, glad you mentioned that, I forgot all about kites, I might had tried making a homemade one, not sure offhand, but the store bought ones were pretty cheap, I remember one kite I got to go really really really high :shock: :lol:

Don't remember doing the nail thing though. I guess you didn't want to be underneath it when it came down :shock:

But I do seem to remember making small homemade parachutes you could tie a weight to and throw it in the air.

Here's a kite ad from the 1960's I just found online.
KITES1~1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom