What is your favorite older low tech detector?

MuddyMo

Forum Supporter
What is your favorite older low tech detector(s) that you won't sell or wish you hadn't and why?
For me:

The White's Classic II SL- great balance, quiet, switchable coils and trigger all metal pinpointer.

The Fisher 1235X- deep and no motion pinpointer.

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

It simply works pretty good for the amazingly low price !

While it doesn't get any use right now since I now have a Nox 800, I still want to keep it as an emergency back-up IF I ever have to send in the Nox for repairs, or eventually I might be able to get my wife to very occasionally join me on a hunt.

Good idea for a thread. Only have the old style Lobo so not much to add unfortunately. Looking to upgrade it to a Lithium Ion battery pack and Bluetooth audio for various reasons.

I built a Tesoro Golden Sabre and like how it works.
Did also build a VDI graphic display that raises it to a new level. The display shows an X-Y graph of the two synchronous signals that provides a lot of information about the target.
The audio out goes into a Blue tooth TX and I am using APX headphones.

I'm keeping my White's M6 .It has good depth and separation , durably built , nice balance and uses either double AA batteries or a rechargeable power source .It also has a great selection of coils available and I'm also still able to get it repaired by White's if need be . I like the knobs and switches also .

My all-time favorite detector is my Teknetics 9000B. It was ahead of it's time when it came out. I need to get it tuned up because it doesn't have the depth that it used to have. I would never sell it.
Tek 9000.JPG

Love my Groundhog!

Exhausting in a trashy spot dealing with pull tabs, bits of shredded beer/soda cans, etc.

But on virgin soil, I found my only seated silver many years ago (1889 dime) at least 8" down!

Had to scrub the signal to be sure it at least matched the two modes.

Groundhog has a toggle switch at the end of the handle you must toggle to switch between ground cancel and discriminate modes.

Tom

My Compadre...as a primary jewelry hunter it has paid for itself 10 times over, or more.
Also have a Mojave and that seems to be just as good or better.

And I still have my old F2, don't pull it out anymore for myself but I keep it around for guests.
I was massively and shockingly successful with that one too.

I built a Tesoro Golden Sabre and like how it works.
Did also build a VDI graphic display that raises it to a new level. The display shows an X-Y graph of the two synchronous signals that provides a lot of information about the target.
The audio out goes into a Blue tooth TX and I am using APX headphones.

That sounds awesome! The Golden Sabre II looks nearly if not identical to the Lobo & LST housing. Looks like the original Golden Sabre was a little different.

Interested to learn how you constructed the VDI unit. Have you made any write-ups about it?

I'm keeping my White's M6 .It has good depth and separation , durably built , nice balance and uses either double AA batteries or a rechargeable power source .It also has a great selection of coils available and I'm also still able to get it repaired by White's if need be . I like the knobs and switches also .

If the M6 can be old tech, I vote for it 100 percent also.

That sounds awesome! The Golden Sabre II looks nearly if not identical to the Lobo & LST housing. Looks like the original Golden Sabre was a little different.

Interested to learn how you constructed the VDI unit. Have you made any write-ups about it?

It was a multi-person project on GeoTech with Board available from a guy in England. Being my first VLF detector build I bought the PCB but built the coils. Now have a 10" DD coil which is great for general use and an 8" concentric which is great for trashy or iron riddled places.
Here are the project links to the TGSL (my user name is the same on GeoTech):
https://www.geotech1.com/forums/showthread.php?15710-TGSL-Complete-Details

and the VDI display:
https://www.geotech1.com/forums/showthread.php?23823-VDI-RODERICO

Picture showing display- note the circle is AC Mains interference inside my house. This goes away when nor near AC Mains.

Attachments

• IMG_9989 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_9989 (Medium).jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 464
It was a multi-person project on GeoTech with Board available from a guy in England. Being my first VLF detector build I bought the PCB but built the coils. Now have a 10" DD coil which is great for general use and an 8" concentric which is great for trashy or iron riddled places.
Here are the project links to the TGSL (my user name is the same on GeoTech):
https://www.geotech1.com/forums/showthread.php?15710-TGSL-Complete-Details

and the VDI display:
https://www.geotech1.com/forums/showthread.php?23823-VDI-RODERICO

Picture showing display- note the circle is AC Mains interference inside my house. This goes away when nor near AC Mains.

That's really impressive. I read some of the posts on the links and it's like a whole other world. Looks like you guys have done a lot of development to pull off those feats of engineering.

That's really impressive. I read some of the posts on the links and it's like a whole other world. Looks like you guys have done a lot of development to pull off those feats of engineering.

Yes it is. I work as an electronic engineer and all this suff is fun. Another great part is that the people are all over the world and collaborate on these projects.

My other detector is a PI that I designed and built. It has GB so works well in highly mineralized soil and black sand. Bad part is no iron disc so always dig all rusty things.

My Garrett AT3. I found a lot with that machine, and regretted selling it shortly after. Funny but that seemed to be the predecessor to the AtPro.

Back
Top Bottom