Public parks with Civil War relics?

natetheslugger0

Alright so basically I am having trouble finding land (with Civil War activity) and the owner. So I was wondering if there any public parks with Civil War activity in any Civil War state, Maybe more in Virginia. Or maybe help a poor soul out and hook me up with some land and the owners name?
~N~

most states/cities are going to have laws setup to stop digging in public ground for such relics...the downside being the stuff will forever rot away underground. what part of VA are you in?

most states/cities are going to have laws setup to stop digging in public ground for such relics...the downside being the stuff will forever rot away underground. what part of VA are you in?

Marion. But also i'm heading to Arkansas this summer. I've been doing a bunch of research on the the battle of Praire D'Ann and found a piece of property, then found the same property on a tax map but can't seem to reach the owner, any tips?

I think most people here will say an in person request is going to go further than anything written or mailed. You may try to find a user here you could link up with and meet there.

I think most people here will say an in person request is going to go further than anything written or mailed. You may try to find a user here you could link up with and meet there.

Ok, but during my research on the battle of Prairie D'Ann I overlaid an old battle map and almost all of the properties do not have houses. They are mostly used for timber, or crops so I'm not really sure what to do. I have found some property but the owner doesn't live there so it'd be awkward if I went to their house not on the property because I feel like they would be confused as to how I got there address.

Any idea of who exactly the lumber companies are? A lot of times the land owner is not the farmer. Might try to reach them or see if they can point you to the owner.

.....the owner doesn't live there so it'd be awkward if I went to their house not on the property because I feel like they would be confused as to how I got there address....

Not a single property owner has ever asked how I figured out they were the owner or how I got their contact information.

Any idea of who exactly the lumber companies are? A lot of times the land owner is not the farmer. Might try to reach them or see if they can point you to the owner.

It says Barnes Farm INC.
The property is a giant square but some of it is cut out because it is part of a smaller property inside of the square. I'ts under a different name, but I think its the people who own the larger property

We have several parks in Springfield, Mo with CW history. One park was a CW retreat camp, then a CW hospital and then a CW orphanage before it became a park. Every detectorist within a hundred miles has been there. Local clubs have hunts there often. It is an interesting place to hunt. There is no trash, no pull tabs or can slaw. Every piece of metal has been detected and dug. I end up throwing my keys on the ground just to make sure the detector is working. They have a bunch of different festivals and fundraisers there and it is good for recent drops, the tot lots always have a crowd. You don't need a digger, most finds are barely below the surface, you can scratch them up with your fingernail. As "hunted out" as it is there are still a couple of bullets found and everyone still talks about the cannon ball found 3 years ago during a club hunt. I have never found anything old, even the clad is new and shiny.

Ok. But I was curious because they don’t live there, they live somewhere else.

That's what I'm talking about. The majority of my permissions are vacant homes and lots. Some owned by regular folks and some owned by professionals or businesses. I haven't tried to get many new permissions this year, but I'll give you two examples from this year where the owners didn't live at the property. One was a vacant house and I figured out the owners lived in the same neighborhood. I went over and asked them and they said yes. Very friendly older couple. Another property was a vacant lot owned by an LLC. I went through public documents to find the name of the person that registered the LLC, and then found his work number online. He lived in a nearby city. I called his office, answered a few of his questions, agreed to split the value of any gold, and I was good to go. I was shocked this guy in particular didn't ask how I was able to link him to the property.

That's what I'm talking about. The majority of my permissions are vacant homes and lots. Some owned by regular folks and some owned by professionals or businesses. I haven't tried to get many new permissions this year, but I'll give you two examples from this year where the owners didn't live at the property. One was a vacant house and I figured out the owners lived in the same neighborhood. I went over and asked them and they said yes. Very friendly older couple. Another property was a vacant lot owned by an LLC. I went through public documents to find the name of the person that registered the LLC, and then found his work number online. He lived in a nearby city. I called his office, answered a few of his questions, agreed to split the value of any gold, and I was good to go. I was shocked this guy in particular didn't ask how I was able to link him to contact him. I could give other examples done in person, by phone, email, and letter.

Ok cool. I don't live near the area I found and I don't know how to find their email address or phone number, so I might have to mail them a letter. Any tips on how to find their email address or phone number?

You can try to find owner contact information by going to the property appraiser's web site for the county. If the owner's contact is different from the physical address of the property you are looking at it will be listed.

Good luck

This is going to be a uphill battle for you for the civil war relic thing. Any land that is held by an inc or llc will likely not give you permission for liability reasons. They are a company and are afraid of being sued if you get hurt or something. You will need to look for properties that have local private ownership. That may be a tall order in some areas.

Back
Top Bottom