• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New depth record from Wright park

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
Took The E-Trac back to Wright Park Sunday and met up with John(GoldMan) and his E-Trac. We decided to try the area right in front of the band shell and my first signal as a silver quarter at 7". The area isn't very big but produced a fair amount of old coins that had been missed in the past. I got one questionable signal that registered at the very bottom of my depth meter. I had John check it and he got the same but also felt it had potential. I use a screw driver with a 12" shank and was just about to give up because I could stick it in the hole and only had about 3" of handle left to hold on to. The target still pinpointed dead center the hole so I scrapped a little more dirt and checked to find the target in the last dirt I pulled. It turned out to be a silver dime at a measured 13". Simply amazing.

For about 2 1/2 hours I recovered 7 wheats and 3 silver while John pulled 4 wheats and 2 silvers. Again, not bad for a believed to be worked out park.

4182010.jpg

Congrats on those nice finds. I'm sure you were aware of needing to dig deep with the E-trac, but 13" is almost crazy. I'd be worn out after about 2 holes like that! Good Luck on future finds. : )

Wow!! That makes me smile just picturing you up to your elbow looking for that coin Hehe. Thats deeper than my deepest coin so far (11 inches) .My deepest good find so far is a pocket watch at 14 inches...but a watch is alot bigger than a dime thats for sure!Grats on some nice oldies,Thx for sharing your Hunt.HH Jim

Nice finds and great story! I believe from your other posts you have been detecting for a long time. That's great to see those old sites giving up new finds!

Thanks for the story and pictures Detector. What was your sensitivity set at on that dig. Were you in auto or manual? I think my deepest coin with my E-Trac is around 9" on a wheat penny but I did pull out a nail at about 6" and off to the left about 4". I thought that was pretty neat.

Our coins do not seem to settle real deep here. My wife pulled a 1904 IH at around 2 1/2" with the X-Terra 305. I'll bet I ran over that on my E-Trac and wrote it off as a can as it probably screamed at me when I pinpointed. Two things happened. I congratulated her, then I made a mental note to learn from this.

By the way, my oldest coin is an 1887 IH that I also found at about 2 - 2 1/2 down, so you never know.

Take care

NebTrac

What was your sensitivity set at on that dig. Were you in auto or manual?

I was hunting in Auto +3 and if I remember right auto was at 23 at the time. I used my manual, which is set at 28, to check questionable signals. It was a broken sound that gave a high peep from only one direction. Once I saw the depth I pinpointed to target and stuck my screw drive in the ground about 7" and wiggled it from side to side. This tends to clean up broken signals, and it did slightly. Between the depth and broken high peeps I decided to recover it. I was surprised because, even at that depth, the high peeps would read a CO of 46 to 47 which I told John it was probably silver.

Congrats on the Silver and Wheats. Good Hunting there.

I was hunting in Auto +3 and if I remember right auto was at 23 at the time. I used my manual, which is set at 28, to check questionable signals. It was a broken sound that gave a high peep from only one direction. Once I saw the depth I pinpointed to target and stuck my screw drive in the ground about 7" and wiggled it from side to side. This tends to clean up broken signals, and it did slightly. Between the depth and broken high peeps I decided to recover it. I was surprised because, even at that depth, the high peeps would read a CO of 46 to 47 which I told John it was probably silver.

I have found civil war relics over 18" with my SE. Any signal where I hunt needs to be dug... Those little chirps are deep buttons, bullets, etc when in civil war areas... It takes a while on your machine to learn that!
Great Job!

Alien machine

Detector, that is the very deepest I've ever taken a coin. Does not happen often but doesn't it seem like you have an other-worldly machine when it happens? It always amazes me.

Jennings

Nice finds!!!At amazing depth !!!My Excal surprises me with the deep finds as well .Good luck and HH

Great job, the E-Trac works out really well for you. That's impressive to find a coin that deep at a park. Is this park still in use since you find so much of the older stuff there or do you just dig certain VDI numbers?

doesn't it seem like you have an other-worldly machine when it happens?

It sure does. I've had many recoveries where you just sit and stare at the depth and think that is amazing. We have hunted this park for 20 some years with every detector our club has had. I was impressed with the depth my DFX was getting, after a lot of tweaking and digging the questionable peeps, but to go to the same areas and pull hands full of old coins is just amazing to me.

Is this park still in use since you find so much of the older stuff there or do you just dig certain VDI numbers?

Yes it is. This park(Wright Park) was built in 1883 to host one of only two recorded authentic Mexican Bull Fights in America, and has been a public park ever since. We go mostly by depth that is why I like having a detector that shows the depth in motion mode. With my DFX I could go by the faint sound a deep coins gives. I dig pretty much any CO/VDI number when the depth is deeper than 6". I still get a few clads at 6" or so, but most are at least wheats and silver. Unless you're dealing with a coin with a piece of junk, the CO numbers are very accurate.

Even at 13" the coin ended up being a 1941 merc which I find both exciting and depressing. Exciting in that it means there are lots of older coins even deeper. Depressing in that the older coins are even deeper.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom