A multi-site metal detecting bingo kind of day

ToySoldier

Forum Supporter
Over the weekend I was invited to hunt with a member of this site who took a break from detecting and is getting back into it. He received permission for a large vacant 1800s home as well as the same owner's nearby farm field. Both sites had been detected previously. The weather was cool in the morning and recent much needed rain had softened the dirt up a bit.

We started early at the vacant home. I ventured away from the house hoping to find some goodies in areas neglected by other detectorists. That plan didn't work out too well, unless you count a few dozen shotgun head stamps, a zinc penny spill, bullet casings, old junk from the house like broken doorknobs, and a few modern beer cans. I did find a nice 1940s Tootsie Toys truck with all of the wheels intact. Things turned around as I made may way closer to the house. A harmonica reed, a bit key with a wonderful patina, a decorative screen/disk (?) that doesn't seem to be a button, and a common wheat cent. My host found an Indian Head cent and a small gold or gold plated wedding band.

We drove a few miles to a farm field where the tobacco had just been harvested and was drying in a nearby barn. He had hunted the field previously and pointed out the location of an old home site. Sure enough, I came up with a couple of flat buttons, and he came up with a nice large flat button and the find of the day: a small cut piece of a Spanish silver.

We parted ways and on the drive home the GPS took me past a park I learned about for the first time earlier in the summer when I took my kid there for her friend's birthday party. I made a mental note of an area where a few early-mid 1900s houses used to stand, but it was too dry to detect. On the other side of the park I noticed a guy swinging a detector 100 miles per hour in front of some park workers.

I was cautiously optimistic. With my gear ready to go from the morning hunt and another hour or so to kill, I swung into the park and headed for the shade of a large tree that would have been near the back door of one of the homes. I found a clad quarter (first I'd heard all day) and then hit silver. The 1940s Mercury dime and a 1960 Washington were a few feet apart. I then found a few other odds and ends, including an iPod sitting in some taller grass (haven't tested it yet), an old lip stick case, a decorative lid to something, and a few more pennies.

Great detecting day...and I still had time to get home and mow the lawn!

Attachments

• 8 26 2019 multi site hunt post small.jpg
    8 26 2019 multi site hunt post small.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:
That key looks awesome

Thanks! It was my favorite find of the day. I could tell it was bigger than a coin, so I dug a nice wide plug and it was about 5 or 6 inches deep. I was fortunate not to hit it. The green patina is just like an Indian Head cent.

It was about 40 feet from the front door and we tried to see if it fit the exterior doors, but it was too small.

Attachments

• abandoned house 1 key small.jpg
    abandoned house 1 key small.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 445
I haven't IDed this decorative piece. It was a few feet off a side door to the 1800s house.

The back is slightly concave and doesn't have the detail of the front. So, it was likely meant to be seen from one side only. It might have been stuck to something, but I don't see any attachment points. Maybe on the side at the 9 o'clock position in the first photo.

Approximately 1.5 inches in diameter. The photos below show the front first.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• SingleShot0000.jpg
    SingleShot0000.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 416
  • SingleShot0001.jpg
    SingleShot0001.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 399
Nice finds! That key is awesome. A Tootsie, decorative piece, all rad. And an iPod, ha!

Some nice hunts you had there. That toy car is pretty cool, always nice to find a complete one. Be interesting to see if that iPod still works.

Wow...my posts sure are long when I open them on the phone! They don't look that long on a wide computer screen!!

Wow...my posts sure are long when I open them on the phone! They don't look that long on a wide computer screen!!
The long ones are the best! All the juicy details to take us along on the hunt! :D

I'm living most of my hunts vicariously lately, so keep it up, please! [emoji18][emoji106]

I donated all of ours (old cords) or I'd send you one :) I'm sure there is one that can be freed up within seventeen minutes of untangling :D

A very nice day filled with adventure Soldier. Really love the Key. Congrats on the Merc, the Silver GW, the Tootsie and all the rest. Guess you make great use of your time if you got the lawn cut too:yes:. Trapper

Thanks! It was my favorite find of the day....The green patina is just like an Indian Head cent.

I haven't IDed this decorative piece.

Nice hunt, TS, and really appreciate the detail as always! That key definitely looks great - even better with the deep green patina that screams out “history”! The Tootsie truck is sweet, too, and cool that all the wheels remained attached. The decorative piece is intriguing, as well - best I can imagine is maybe the front part of a two-piece bridle rosette?

Some nice hunts you had there. That toy car is pretty cool, always nice to find a complete one. Be interesting to see if that iPod still works.

iPod update. I picked up an appropriate cord at the goodwill for a dollar. The IPod powered up only when it was plugged in and wouldn't take a charge. Clickwheel worked, but not the buttons. Apparently this is common behavior when they get wet. Small dark spot on the screen. It could have been in the spot I found it for several years. It had a name in it (So and So's iPod), but was too common to track down. Might have made an effort if it the thing wasn't broken or if it had anything on it other than music. It didn't. I reformatted/recovered it to see if it would clear up the issues. Nope. Into the electronic recycling bin.

Back
Top Bottom