1797 Large Cent

wymanwvp32

Decided to go to Mingo Park today in Washington County, PA. It is now a County owned park, but once was privately owned houses and land with alot of the residents were players in the Whiskey Rebellion.

I decided to hunt near an old stone house that is still standing called the henry house. I think it was built in like 1817. The Henry family lived in this house all the way up to 1961. I have been hunting here alot, never really finding anything other than wheat pennies, new clad, and a few cool relics. Someone else always gets there before me too, cause I'm always filling in their holes. lol.

Anyways, today I decided to go across the street into a field. When the house was first built this road wasn't there, it was put in when it was turned into a park. So I figured that would probally be part of their yard back in the day, and most people probally have been hunting on the same side of the road as the house. It paid off. Not more than 5 minutes after I crossed the road I dug up this large disc. I figured it was a large cent, but when I started rubbing off the dirt and saw the figure of the woman on the front I started getting excited cause it was either one of the older large cents or something else I've never found. I saw the date and did the dance. The coin is in better shape than my scans look, but not much better. lol. This is my Third Large Cent, but my first one and first US coin to break the 1700's Barrier. I only found one other coin from the 1700's and that was a 1/2 Reale.

Thanks for reading. And if anyone knows anything about these coins, let me know!

Thanks,
John

Attachments

• 1797 large cent3.jpg
    1797 large cent3.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 672
  • henryhouse.jpg
    henryhouse.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 630
Very cool... it looks as though the head on the coin is stamped into it, with the rest of the coin raised... completely opposite of todays coins. Great find!

Looks like the head is raised to me? The obverse looks indented though? Nope, I can see it raised now... Neat optical illusion on that coin pic..lol That's a beauty... I love the flowing hair large cent, You don't see to many of them on the boards! Congrats!

Looks like the head is raised to me? The obverse looks indented though? Nope, I can see it raised now... Neat optical illusion on that coin pic..lol That's a beauty... I love the flowing hair large cent, You don't see to many of them on the boards! Congrats!

Raised? Really? The shadows appear to be on the inside of the head... oh well... whichever it is, hell of a find!

The design on your coin is raised. The only US coin that is incussed into the planchet are the Indian Head Golds. Beautiful Find!

Some of these cions can be very valuable do not do any thing to it! There were many different types of these coins. I have connection, if you e-mail him face and obverse he will id the type. As soon as a dig his e-mail out I will send it to you.

Some of these coins can be very valuable do not do any thing to it! There were many different types of these coins. I have connection, if you e-mail him face and obverse he will id the type. As soon as a dig his e-mail out I will send it to you.

Thanks Groundfisher!

I think I already dinged it digging carelessly as you can see by the white mark across the face.

Berks County has alot of history...I always wondered how cool it would be to live in Eastern PA to detect. There's alot of history around here too, but reading alot of the local history they always talk about how in the frontier days all the money was back east and since it was so scarce around here they mostly traded and bartered. There is still stuff to find around here, but probally not as much, and definatley not as old. Do you do pretty good out there on that side of the state?

I have found a couple of large cents 1797/8 (Sheldon 151) overwrite and a 1825 Matron which is pretty bad. I will send you that link it is good to id these coins.

Wtg

Congratulations on your find. Nearly 20 years and I still have not broken the
1800s barrier. A 1803 barely readable LC is my oldest. It's not even close to the condition as yours.....Gil

Back
Top Bottom