Hi folks, I'm on a quest!

maeve100

First off, I hope I'm posting in the right forum! If I've made a mistake, please be gentle with me, okay?

So, obviously, I'm brand-spankin' new, fresh off the cabbage truck. Haven't got a clue. But I do have an interesting little quest I've undertaken, and I hope maybe someone can help me.....

After my dad died my mom confessed her dark, guilty secret to me: she'd lost the engagement ring that Dad gave her 43 years ago. She'd actually lost it 10 years ago, after hiding it in a potted plant in her bedroom (don't even get me started on that.) The plant died and, forgetting she'd hidden the ring inside, she took the pot out to the backyard and dumped it by the fence. It was several months before she realized what she'd done. She just never had the heart to tell Dad.

So much time has passed that Mom can't remember exactly where she might have dumped it. She'd given my brother an inexpensive metal detector for Christmas last year and we decided to use his detector to find the ring. Today was the first attempt. So far, we haven't found it. But, we did find a couple of nails, a fencing staple, a rusted pulley, and a Ball jar lid.

This is no ordinary ring: it's a platinum band set with a 1 carat flawless diamond, plus four more smaller diamonds. It's worth a lot of money. It was pretty much the only family heirloom jewelry left for me (her daughter) to inherit. It's easily over 100 years old.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have Mom than the ring any day. But we really do need to find that ring. Could I count on you forum members to answer some of our questions and give us some advice? I'd like to turn this into a hobby (once we find the @$#% ring!!)

Which forum should I use to ask about metals? Which forum for pity and sympathy? :D

Thanks for your help!
Barb

Oh man, thanks!!

So, here's my first question... when searching for platinum, what metal should we be looking for? Should we look for gold, or aluminum and nickel? Something else?

Are there detectors that are especially well suited for metals like platinum?

If the ring's been 10 years sitting in a spot with a very slight incline, how far might it have washed, or sunk into the soil?

Also, my brother's detector started freaking out and using all its beeps and whistles at once, no matter where it was pointed. We'd put fresh batteries in it before starting, so that wasn't it. What was going on with it?

I'm sorry I can't tell you what kind it was off the top of my head. And once again, thank you, thank you thank you for your help!!!!

welcome aboard and ask away. maybe post what state you are in and just maybe there might be a member close to you that would be willing to help in the search for your moms lost ring.

Oh sure, that's a good idea!

We're in Tennessee. My mom lives about an hour south of Nashville.

Do you really think someone would be willing to volunteer their time? That would be so cool!!

If I'm not mistaken, platinum rings are usually found in the small gold area (below nickels) down to the iron range. GL finding that ring!

So, here's my first question... when searching for platinum, what metal should we be looking for? Should we look for gold, or aluminum and nickel? Something else?

Are there detectors that are especially well suited for metals like platinum?

If the ring's been 10 years sitting in a spot with a very slight incline, how far might it have washed, or sunk into the soil?

Also, my brother's detector started freaking out and using all its beeps and whistles at once, no matter where it was pointed. We'd put fresh batteries in it before starting, so that wasn't it. What was going on with it?

I'm sorry I can't tell you what kind it was off the top of my head. And once again, thank you, thank you thank you for your help!!!!

Welcome to the forum..

Platinum will signal in the foil range or 0 to +08 in the VDI's so you have to dig every plus signal above iron..

What detector are you using?

I'm sure someone in your area will be willing to help.

My gold/platinum ring comes up as a pulltab, so you'll want to dig everything while looking for it. It shouldn't be too hard to find if you know the general area. Good luck!

This is too cool. I'm just about 100% sure you'll find that ring if it's still there.

Good luck!

And welcome!

Wow, thanks for all the kind comments. I really appreciate the support!

I'm a little bummed to know we'll have to look for everything --- it's a farm, there's lots of wire, nails, and God knows what else laying around. It wasn't like Mom dumped everything in a nice tidy rose bed (more's the pity.) :roll:

I'll ask my bro what brand of metal detector he has. I'm sure you can all give me some good advice on where to go from there.

Thanks again!

I think Relic Hounds suggestion might be best. There must be a member here in the Nashville area. (sorry, I am out in California) Seems like a more experianced metal detector operator would have better luck locating that ring. Good luck!

Oh, and WELCOME to the best metal detecting forum on the Web!!

Oh sure, that's a good idea!

We're in Tennessee. My mom lives about an hour south of Nashville.

Do you really think someone would be willing to volunteer their time? That would be so cool!!

Im in Chattanooga. How close is this to your moms place? Im 2 roughly 2 hours south of Nashvegas.

fence

Is the fence metal, stone or wood? If it's chain link I would recommend taking it down you may be getting some interfence from the fence. I agree with everyone else dig up every hit.

What kind of earth is near the fence lots of rocks, little bit of rock, mostly topsoil, this will be some of the factors on how far the ring has gone into the ground.

I would also recommend and this will sound crazy but putting up string, to make small paths, this will keep you in a more confined area as you walk the path and insure that you cover each piece of ground. It may be alot of work but it should help you find the ring.

im roughly 1.5-2hrs from nashville and go to TN once a year for a week of fishing at realfoot lake in late march early april. ill watch how this unfolds and if your unable to locate the ring we may be able to make plans to come help search early next year its usually my dad,gramps and myself who go to TN and my dad and grandpa are highly capable detectorist...and of course itll be free of charge :D

Brian in TN and RelicHound, You guys are awesome. Thanks for your kind offers!

My Mom lives a couple of miles outside of Bell Buckle TN, in Bedford County. If you're not familiar with the little town of Bell Buckle, it's near Shelbyville, and about 25 to 30 minutes south of Murfreesboro on I-24. I'd have to clear it with my Mom, of course, but I'd be thrilled to have help.

SeaBeeRon, thanks for the warm welcome (and everyone else too!) I think you're right -- this does sound like the best forum on the web. It's friendly and has a good esprit de cour.

Epi Hunter, I really appreciate your encouraging words. It's nice to know that it's still a challenge for you old hands, as well as for us newbies.

Wolfhound, the fence is wood, with wire on one side. (The wire fence was put in to make the wooden fence sheep-proof. It's a long story.) It would be possible to clear the wire away, and might make for less work in the long run. Same with taking a weed-wacker to the surrounding undergrowth.

The ground near the fence is mostly soil, with some clay about 3 to 6 inches down, and quite a few large pieces of limestone rock. The rock is found at all levels, typical of this region of Tennessee. The land is on a very slight incline... maybe 5 degrees.

OkieDigger, Cfmct-PI, Hobbes_Lives, and Oklahunter, thanks for your comments as well. You've really made me feel welcome here, and I really love that about this forum.

I have to tell you, I'm starting to get excited about this! :lol: :spin: :tumble:

Last edited:
I will keep you in mind if I get up that way in the near future. Better yet, maybe someone from the Nashville area is much much closer and is willing to step up for the cause.

Back
Top Bottom