Made a trip down south today...

Buscador

So, some of you may remember I live in the Dominican Republic. I headed down to visit a friend on the south coast today for some detecting. He lives on some land that abuts the ruins of a 500 year old ingenio (sugar processing place). The ruins are off limits so we were restricted to an area around them. I dug up no small amount of recent trash, of course, but had a few notable finds. The biggest piece of slag (dross? smelter? No idea what you'd call them) is copper, as are several of the smaller ones. It's a solid pound+. Also pictured is what I suppose is an ingot of lead and a ball that *may* have been a musketball but if so its been cut. It's kind of a hemisphere. But the thing that really got me going is the bottom pic. It's a quite old Spanish Colonial bronze 4 maravedis, minted in Santo Domingo. Hoowahh! I'll know for sure once I get it cleaned up, but I can see the columns on the back and can make out a couple letters. The Spanish only minted them here between 1542 and 1564ish. I am beyond stoked with it....

Yes, the pictures suck. Yes the coin is cruddy (hopefully it'll clean up a little). Sorry. I just got home and only have the artificial lamp light until tomorrow....and I'm so excited I just couldn't wait for daylight to get better pics.

e85b094d295c7edb913b246af54f5a8c.jpg
1c2ca6457eae352f83339a5edc669cdb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Y'all think these may be sprues from some molding? They're copper and came from the same site I mention above.
25db5aeb90cae347ad8373b3d3c9c925.jpg

Thanks folks. Anyone have relatively safe advice on cleaning the coin? Google results are so full of conflicting info as to be near useless. The coin is either copper or bronze (depends on who you ask), and cleaning recommendations are soap/water only, electrolysis, or 'absolutely never use electrolysis on this type of coin'. I'd like to recover as much legibility as possible, and certainly don't want to damage it. I'm no chemist, so all this info that contradicts the other is confusing....

Thanks folks. Anyone have relatively safe advice on cleaning the coin? Google results are so full of conflicting info as to be near useless. The coin is either copper or bronze (depends on who you ask), and cleaning recommendations are soap/water only, electrolysis, or 'absolutely never use electrolysis on this type of coin'. I'd like to recover as much legibility as possible, and certainly don't want to damage it. I'm no chemist, so all this info that contradicts the other is confusing....

If it was me , I'd just go with some liquid soap detergent and water administered with a tooth brush .That coin is a prize just the way it is .

You're going to feel bad if you follow some bad advice and it incurs damage .

If it was me , I'd just go with some liquid soap detergent and water administered with a tooth brush .That coin is a prize just the way it is .

You're going to feel bad if you follow some bad advice and it incurs damage .
I think you're right, all the way around. That's my plan. It's pretty toasted, but I'll preserve what's there rather than risk damaging it further.

Back
Top Bottom