Garret Carrot Tip Repair

Haven't had to repair mine yet. You might look at some type of epoxy over the worn area or maybe a plastic/rubber tube cap that fits well over the tip.

+1 for epoxy, assuming its not through the plastic yet. I know it has the "scraping" ridge on it but you might want to save the dirt moving for the digger. ;)

I coated the tip of my propointer with bed liner like they sometimes use on coils. While I don't use it as a digging tool it has lasted several years and I think it is better than a plastic dip. Just read the can and make sure it doesn't contain metal.

I’d send it back to Garrett myself. Buy a new one meanwhile? I plasti dipped mine when I first got it and it’s held up nice. Gluck!

+1 for epoxy, assuming its not through the plastic yet. I know it has the "scraping" ridge on it but you might want to save the dirt moving for the digger. ;)

Before I used mine the first time, I epoxied the whole tip when it was brand new , out of the box. I don’t put a lot of miles on it and don’t use it as a scraping or digging tool, so the tip is holding up well

Last edited:
I see a lot of comments about "dont use it as a scraper or probe yet Garrett has purposefully added a scraper edge to their pointers????????

I see a lot of comments about "dont use it as a scraper or probe yet Garrett has purposefully added a scraper edge to their pointers????????

Because the warranty will likely run out before the case wears through. Plus they're not wearing through on the scraper, it's on the tip where people push them into abrasive soil.

Because the warranty will likely run out before the case wears through. Plus they're not wearing through on the scraper, it's on the tip where people push them into abrasive soil.

Mine, has the edge of the scraper at the tip, as well as up the shaft. Just try to use the scraper and not impact the tip. I see it as a design shortcoming not a user problem. Other manufactures have addressed this same problem with a upgraded construction material that resists wear. Just might be time for Garrett to follow suit. The built in obsolutance to out distance the warranty as you addressed is also less than "cool". I still say the chair leg vinyl tip is the answer and when it wears, just pull it off and put another on in its place.

Somebody on the forum sent me thes rubber caps he gets from work. They protect the threads on oxygen tanks or something. They fit perfect in my garret pinpointer plus they are orange or back to match

Update

I bought the 3/4" chair foot at Lowes. It was so tight that I tried to cut a notch but was unhappy with the results. I ended up boiling a cup of water in the microwave and then soaking the cap in it for a few minutes. Then I used a bar clamp to force the cap onto the end of my pointer. I let it cool so that it would hold the shape. After cooling I popped it off the pointer and dried it. I applied epoxy and used the bar clamp to re-insert the pointer into the foot. I let it cure overnight and it has worked great ever since!! Thanks for all your tips.

Attachments

• 20180815_162412_resized.jpg
    20180815_162412_resized.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 528
  • 20180815_162401_resized.jpg
    20180815_162401_resized.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 523
  • 20180815_163933_resized.jpg
    20180815_163933_resized.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 493
The ones that I have done using the chair tips I cut the channel for the rib with hand pruners (blade and anvil type not by pass), like we use for small branches. I only cut the small channel 3/8th inches long and that worked just fine. Hair drier was my heat source for installation.

This thread got me thinking about ABS plastic welding with acetone. I did not know if the Garrett Carrots were made with ABS plastic, so I asked. I just got the email back from Garrett; confirming they are made with ABS plastic. Sure, we wish it was tougher stuff, but it is what it is. ABS plastic can be melted and manipulated with acetone. Can't say I recommend it; especially with the great customer service option, but for some circumstances, it may be a great repair option. Then put a tip protector on it!
How to weld ABS plastic? Google it. That's what I did.

Back
Top Bottom