Hurricane John Delivers the Treasure!

.... Does the energy die out because of the distance? Is island "shadowing" knocking the swells down? :?:

Hey there Compass. I can't speak for the difference between Orange county to Santa Barbara distance. And yes, the channel islands can play havoc with trying to predict where an incoming swell will impact. I can't say for certain that a south swell that is affecting San Diego or OceanSide, or Orange county, would fade by the time it reaches other parts of So. CA (santa barbara, for instance).

But I CAN say that the distance it travels to Monterey bay , it definitely start diminishing. The further it travels, it makes sense that it's going to lessen. But it's all relative: Because each beach acclimates to its historic norms.

The southern swells you guys wait for would start all the way down at the equator, eh ? As opposed to W and NW swells which start from Japan or Alaska . As such, you guys (all your beaches face south) can get erosion in the middle of summer. When no local adverse weather is going on . Ie.: sunny and warm, not in the middle of CA storm season.

We have noticed this phenomenon for our Santa Cruz beach (the singular beach in our part of the state with faces south). That sometimes it goes off big-time, in the middle of the summer, when .... erosion is the last thing on our mind. We tend to wait for the winter storms , and THEN start studying the surfer/mariner forecasts. But for those that hunt Santa Cruz, they watch for these fluke summer southern hemi swells. A buddy of mine has perfected that, and has sometimes found himself digging 200+ coins and 1 to 3 gold rings in a single hunt. Trouble is .... it doesn't happen that often. Doh! :p

Can complain about those results. Congrats on some awsome finds!
Thanks Numil, Another good swell starting today but the tides are not so great. :?:

Wow!!! 😲 incredible hunting! That’s just amazing!
Thanks ISA, I'm just now fully recovered and ready to go again. Just in time for this new swell! :yes:

Impressive capture Compass. I'd love to have a day like that.
Thanks Dog, This was a 3 day hunt but the best finds were during the first 2 days. :yes:

Hey there Compass. I can't speak for the difference between Orange county to Santa Barbara distance. And yes, the channel islands can play havoc with trying to predict where an incoming swell will impact. I can't say for certain that a south swell that is affecting San Diego or OceanSide, or Orange county, would fade by the time it reaches other parts of So. CA (santa barbara, for instance).

But I CAN say that the distance it travels to Monterey bay , it definitely start diminishing. The further it travels, it makes sense that it's going to lessen. But it's all relative: Because each beach acclimates to its historic norms.

The southern swells you guys wait for would start all the way down at the equator, eh ? As opposed to W and NW swells which start from Japan or Alaska . As such, you guys (all your beaches face south) can get erosion in the middle of summer. When no local adverse weather is going on . Ie.: sunny and warm, not in the middle of CA storm season.

We have noticed this phenomenon for our Santa Cruz beach (the singular beach in our part of the state with faces south). That sometimes it goes off big-time, in the middle of the summer, when .... erosion is the last thing on our mind. We tend to wait for the winter storms , and THEN start studying the surfer/mariner forecasts. But for those that hunt Santa Cruz, they watch for these fluke summer southern hemi swells. A buddy of mine has perfected that, and has sometimes found himself digging 200+ coins and 1 to 3 gold rings in a single hunt. Trouble is .... it doesn't happen that often. Doh! :p
Thanks for that Tom, When I was in the navy I drove down to Santa Cruz because of some 20 ft plus surf and I only remember 2 things from that hunt- people were driving down to the beach to collect these massive tree stumps that had washed ashore and I recall after 1 large breaker, seeing a half dollar rolling on its edge down the slope and flopping down beside me! :yes::yes:

Compass, did you see erosion at your hot beach?
Last weekend, yes, definitely. Hopefully, more starting today! :yes:

Back
Top Bottom