• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Bullets In Backyard!

I think they would at least be from 1910-1930, because the shotgun stamp dates to around then. Also, my family owned this house since it was built in 1958, and they never owned any guns or ammo.

Trying to figure where the stuff we dig came from is part of the fun.

Do keep hitting your yard as you never know what might be there. I did my yard, house built in 1961, and found a lot of junk, newer coins but then a Model T value stem cover. How that got there is anyone's guess but since this was farm land before 1960 and all the way back to 1700's someone could have been driving a model T on this land.
Same with most of New Jersey. It is very possible for you to find something from the 1800's and even the 1700's.

Wow, that’s really cool that you found that! I did find an artifact in my backyard that did date back to the 1800s, I’m pretty sure it was an oil lamp knob from the German Student Lamp Co.

I think they would at least be from 1910-1930, because the shotgun stamp dates to around then. Also, my family owned this house since it was built in 1958, and they never owned any guns or ammo.

That sounds like a reasonable conclusion. The shot gun head stamp is a clue on date range of shooting activity.
Just remember that any item could be dropped, lost well after a date. For example the shot gun shells could have been fired years after purchase when they were no longer made. Same with coins and any other item and some items were used for many, many years after purchase.

So dating gives you the earliest time the item could have been dropped.

Back
Top Bottom