Sebastian Inlet Trip coming up

Based on what we've been reading here, my wife has made some decisions, first she wants to get a 2nd detector, she's leaning towards the Vanquish 440 (any thoughts on this machine would be welcome), second she thinks she wants the Quest scoopal sand scoop. She already ordered a padded travel bag for the two machines, she already said I need to bring the Gravedigger hand digger(I'll bet you she takes the Scoopal and makes me use the Gravedigger). Are we missing anything? Obviously we'll be bringing the finds bag, pin pointer and pack.

Last edited:
I went to sebastian inlet once when I was out visiting Mom in Melborne. Had no idea exactly where to go and had limited time so just walked onto the beach on the south side of the inlet to try my hand. I knew it was hopeless as even I could tell it was heavily sanded in there. Found nothing but disintegrating remnants of soda cans and fishing sinkers but at least I was swingin a coil on the treasure coast for a little bit. With more time and accurate information like that shared in this thread who knows?
One thing- the ranger was on me quick like stink on you know what to warn me not to go on the dunes because of sea turtles laying eggs there. Seems like just walking on the dunes is forbidden but I could be wrong, dont remember exactly.

davedudesebastianinlet.jpg

sebastianinlet.jpg

While you are there, make a stop at the McLarty Museaum south of Sebastian Inlet, best 2$ you will ever spend if you like 1715 history. And in the City of Sebastian, the Mel Fischer museum will be fun. If you want info on 1715 detecting conditions and past finds, daily blog going back years is http://treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com/ Bonsteel is just north of the inlet, the other beach mentioned is 2700 feet south of the inlet at a beach access with a long parking lot on the east side of A1A. (The pines are long gone). South of Turtle Trail was a survivor camp and British camp but so much sand now and its closed until April. Check Disney Resort beach south and north are both wreck sites. Do some research and find some erosion down to the old orange grainy sand. Good luck!
Happy Hunting

While you are there, make a stop at the McLarty Museaum south of Sebastian Inlet, best 2$ you will ever spend if you like 1715 history. And in the City of Sebastian, the Mel Fischer museum will be fun. If you want info on 1715 detecting conditions and past finds, daily blog going back years is

It's funny you should mention the Mel Fischer museum, we're staying there, well Mel's granddaughter's place, which is an attached building.

Back in July of 21 I did some metal detecting on Ambersand beach and found some pieces of metal that looked like lumps of silver. Boy was I excited till I sent pictures to Mel Fischer’s treasure museum in Sebastian FL. I never had the pieces tested but their reply was “it looks like space poop”. Apparently being on the space coast, metal melts and is shed from the rockets and space shuttle’s after launch. Still exciting to find. Have fun and good luck in your hunts.

There are still pieces of the Challenger washing ashore even after all these years, it basically instamelted and aerosoled in the explosion. I think the official number was something like 40% was never recovered.

That's deceptive, definitely something to watch out for.
So my wife has decided she's definitely buying the Vanquish 440 for her detector, but she's still up in the air about the Quest Scoopal. Anyone have experience with one that wouldn't mind sharing their experiences with it for her?

I've hunted south of Sebastian Inlet to Vero Beach many times over the years. They used to pump the sand from offshore, but this last replenishing is from a landfill with 'beach-compatible' sand. So it's not going to have anything in it. Too bad, because before you had a chance of getting something good. They also widened the beach from the dunes outward covering stuff even more. Maybe after a hurricane or a few nor-easters, it might take away what they piled up. Definitely stay away from the dunes. But waist deep in the water shouldn't be a problem if you can take the pounding waves. Lots of tourist gold to find though. Anyway, good luck and let us know what you find..

You are not allowed to detect in the water on some of the Florida beaches. Just check before you enter the water.
As far as I know, that only goes for detecting claims out farther. I'm pretty sure you can detect to the low tide line, even in the water. I never saw anyone bothering anyone who was beach detecting when I was down there.

..... I never saw anyone bothering anyone who was beach detecting when I was down there.

That is my philosophy : If "no one bothers me" and "no one cares", then presto : No one bothers me and no one cares. :roll:

That substitutes for asking silly "Can I ?" questions

I'm not planning on asking when I get there, the only place that I know of that is strictly verboten are the dunes, and I don't plan on g pic going in them either way.

Back
Top Bottom