Gold/Diamond ring head? Please Help!

MSC-99

Medieval piece of Jewellry?

Hi,
I was out detecting on my uncle's land on the east coast of Ireland, with activity dating back hundreds of years, and I came across a small round piece of metal with a gemstone in it.

The photos may not be the best, but it also looks like there are smaller gems surrounding the centerpiece.

Any clue of what this might be off or the likely type of gemstone? the diameter of the piece is about 5mm

Any clues or ideas are appreciated,
Thanks!

Attachments

• g1.jpg
    g1.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 435
  • g2.jpg
    g2.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 424
  • g3.jpg
    g3.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 445
  • g4.jpg
    g4.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
We don't get to see that many pieces from across the pond. But I think you might want to consult a local archaeologist. I've been watching videos of the Time Team. So I know you have some sharp folks over there. If you get a positive ID be sure to let us know.

I’m definitely not an expert in lapidary techniques and history, but I’m pretty certain that the main stone in your piece has cuts and faceting that is far more intricate and complex than any medieval jewelry and gemstones - the skill and technology just wasn’t that developed yet in the Middle Ages. Probably not much more than a couple centuries old (which is still a very cool find in my book!) No way to tell what type of stone from pictures - you can take it to a local jeweler and they could very likely tell you a rough age and type of stone pretty quickly, and with more authority.

Cool find at a fascinating location, regardless!

I am no expert, but it looks like Victorian era costume jewellery to me..I wouldn't like to say if the stone is genuine, but I would have thought if it were diamond or some other valuable stone, the rest of the piece would have been gold or at least silver?

BTW, I am in the UK and I would suggest you research the legalities of detecting historic sites in Ireland before you ring up any museums asking for help...As far as I know it's illegal to use a metal detector in Eire for general historical searching, although people try to get around it saying they are looking for the farmers lost tractors keys ect...

I’m definitely not an expert in lapidary techniques and history, but I’m pretty certain that the main stone in your piece has cuts and faceting that is far more intricate and complex than any medieval jewelry and gemstones - the skill and technology just wasn’t that developed yet in the Middle Ages. Probably not much more than a couple centuries old (which is still a very cool find in my book!) No way to tell what type of stone from pictures - you can take it to a local jeweler and they could very likely tell you a rough age and type of stone pretty quickly, and with more authority.

Cool find at a fascinating location, regardless!
Thank you for your input!

I am no expert, but it looks like Victorian era costume jewellery to me..I wouldn't like to say if the stone is genuine, but I would have thought if it were diamond or some other valuable stone, the rest of the piece would have been gold or at least silver?

BTW, I am in the UK and I would suggest you research the legalities of detecting historic sites in Ireland before you ring up any museums asking for help...As far as I know it's illegal to use a metal detector in Eire for general historical searching, although people try to get around it saying they are looking for the farmers lost tractors keys ect...
Thanks for the advice, appreciated!

Found this metal detecting a field quite far from any houses.
Apparently a long history on the land dating back to Norman times.

The diameter of the piece is about 8mm and the diameter of the gemstone is 5mm. The gemstone has a brilliant like cut on it so i know its not more than a few hundred years old.

Does anyone have any ideas as to if this came off a ring or if it matches jewellry from a certain time period?

thanks

Attachments

• g2.jpg
    g2.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 275
  • g1.jpg
    g1.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 280
  • g3.jpg
    g3.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 292
  • g4.jpg
    g4.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, they should be visible now

I merged this thread with the previous thread you you started asking about this item. It will help to have them together as members try to assist you in an ID.

Back
Top Bottom