Got a new one

seagullplayer

A friend of mine owns much of his families old farm.

His grandfathers home sits on it. The house has not been lived in for decades. And the house is not safe to enter, cows now run the yard.
We think the house was built late 50's early 60's.

I knew about the place, but crazy enough had never thought to ask about hunting it!

I'm in. Not sure just what this one site will hold, but the farm could turn into a summer's work before it's over.

His father lives near by and owns the property my father was born on in 1940. The house/cabin was old then, it is long gone.

I'm hoping his father will be as accommodating.

My friend and his wife run a small farm supply store in our small town.
They are very friendly and know everyone.
This could really open some doors for further hunting locations.

I love detecting at farmhouse locations, even if they're not super old. Might not find a ton of old coins, but there's always copper and brass in the ground. Nails, too. Lots of rusty nails!

Lots of old abandoned Barns & Farmhouses around where I live.

I've always wanted to go inside those and start ripping up the floorboards and opening up the walls.
All those old houses the floors are wood planks and coins & even paper money can slip down between the cracks! And often in the "old days" people would hide money and other valuables inside the walls of their house. What better way to keep an eye on your loot, but many a treasure was lost when the owner either grew old and forget about it, or died before telling anyone.

Case in point: Google a Bluegrass singer nicknamed "Stringbean" and read the tragic tale of the $30,000 Cash:gettinmoney: that was hidden inside the fireplace of his log cabin.

I'm NOT recommending that anyone venture into abandoned properties, it's not at all safe, and can result in injury or death! :shock:
It's just that every time I drive past one of those old Barns or Farmhouses I think of all the TRUE instances of people finding loot in them.

I knew my friends grandfather that lived in the house.
He was my school bus driver in the 70's. He was known to be "as tight as the hide".
We joked that I would be lucky to find a lost penny on the place. And if I did it would sure to have been lost!

But he was the kind of feller that would not have trusted banks to keep his money.
His would be the kind of place you might find a cash jar buried out by the cloths line pole. I'm hoping it still has a good lid and a tight seal. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom