The Greenies Were There, Just Not the Yellows

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
I was able to get back out yesterday for the 1st time since my famous Saturday morning outing before the day Irma came through. I was unable to get out earlier because I had some rough days coming back from Irma; I had to go in and assess my school’s damage, help clean up, and even gave out some leftover hurricane MRE’s for FEMA at my school one day. The biggest issue hurricane week was dealing with the death of a beloved aunt and helping to make funeral arrangements with another cousin since she had no children. There were some other trying and personal serious issues that I will not go into but let’s just say it’s been the most unbelievably horrible period of my life.

Yesterday was a teacher planning day so I knew I would be able to get a bit earlier than usual and get a hunt in before the 4:30 low tide. I headed for a nearby beach that I like to go to. When I got there it was closed due to hurricane cleanup. I went a little further south and went to another beach that I managed to get into. As I was hunting by 2:15 I noticed that this beach had the upper, protected dunes blown out. There were quite a few palms in this area that were toppled and their roots were scattered everywhere like spaghetti in this upper strata that runs parallel to the beach. I feel like I spent the 1st hour trying to see where I could find targets. The wet sand seemed to stretch MUCH further and be MUCH wider than this beach has ever had. Most of the targets in this area, which were few and few in between, were bottle caps and PT’s. Maybe 2-3 of the greenies came here. I went in the water and tried to work it but the ocean floor was like nothing I had ever experienced there. There were lots of canyons and valleys and almost no targets. When looking from above to the ocean it looked like a nice white subsurface fluffy layer that stretched from the shore out about 20+ yards. I then tried a wet area between the slightly sloped wet sand and before the newly eroded dry sand area where the palms and dunes were, almost no targets there as well. I believe this sand may have been put there by the bulldozers trying to recreate the beach that was there. The only section that I was having success in good targets was the blown out dune strata and it is there where I spent probably around 3 hours (out of my total of 4). It is there where almost all the greenies and all the sinkers came. I was hoping a yellow would make its way at some point into my scoop, but I was not hopeful as this was a previously dry sand area that just had about 2’ feet of sand removed. It was a nice amount of clad and greenies, and the surprise early Wheatie for these parts was a neat find. After the last 2 weeks, I was truly thankful to have been out there detecting yesterday regardless of my finds.

Attachments

• 9-21-17.jpg
    9-21-17.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 328
  • 9-21-17 (1).jpg
    9-21-17 (1).jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 300
  • 9-21-17 (2).jpg
    9-21-17 (2).jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 306
  • 9-21-17 trash.jpg
    9-21-17 trash.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 295
Congratulations on the clad. That's one sweet wheatie! :grin:

I'm sorry to hear about your aunt. Will be praying for you and others who miss her.

Looks like its gonna be slim pickings for a while. Lots of sand but I think you've got it licked. Looking in places you normally wouldn't detect. That's usually works for me. Love finding those old Wheaties too...

I was able to get back out yesterday for the 1st time since my famous Saturday morning outing before the day Irma came through. I was unable to get out earlier because I had some rough days coming back from Irma; I had to go in and assess my school’s damage, help clean up, and even gave out some leftover hurricane MRE’s for FEMA at my school one day. The biggest issue hurricane week was dealing with the death of a beloved aunt and helping to make funeral arrangements with another cousin since she had no children. There were some other trying and personal serious issues that I will not go into but let’s just say it’s been the most unbelievably horrible period of my life.

Yesterday was a teacher planning day so I knew I would be able to get a bit earlier than usual and get a hunt in before the 4:30 low tide. I headed for a nearby beach that I like to go to. When I got there it was closed due to hurricane cleanup. I went a little further south and went to another beach that I managed to get into. As I was hunting by 2:15 I noticed that this beach had the upper, protected dunes blown out. There were quite a few palms in this area that were toppled and their roots were scattered everywhere like spaghetti in this upper strata that runs parallel to the beach. I feel like I spent the 1st hour trying to see where I could find targets. The wet sand seemed to stretch MUCH further and be MUCH wider than this beach has ever had. Most of the targets in this area, which were few and few in between, were bottle caps and PT’s. Maybe 2-3 of the greenies came here. I went in the water and tried to work it but the ocean floor was like nothing I had ever experienced there. There were lots of canyons and valleys and almost no targets. When looking from above to the ocean it looked like a nice white subsurface fluffy layer that stretched from the shore out about 20+ yards. I then tried a wet area between the slightly sloped wet sand and before the newly eroded dry sand area where the palms and dunes were, almost no targets there as well. I believe this sand may have been put there by the bulldozers trying to recreate the beach that was there. The only section that I was having success in good targets was the blown out dune strata and it is there where I spent probably around 3 hours (out of my total of 4). It is there where almost all the greenies and all the sinkers came. I was hoping a yellow would make its way at some point into my scoop, but I was not hopeful as this was a previously dry sand area that just had about 2’ feet of sand removed. It was a nice amount of clad and greenies, and the surprise early Wheatie for these parts was a neat find. After the last 2 weeks, I was truly thankful to have been out there detecting yesterday regardless of my finds.

I feel your pain. I had similar results on Wednesday. I had a load of green and brown coins but no gold. However, I did hit on 3 silver dimes and a silver necklace pendant. so I'm not complaining.

That is a really impressive clad count! Especially for US coinage. Wow! That is a lot of targets! :thumbsup:

The blown-out dune strata sounds like an cool place to hunt. Y'all have got such an interesting variety of beaches!

Oh, and cheers for teacher planning days! Ours have been co-opted by admin this year (accreditation time...:no:) so no actual planning or anything else practical is getting done, but last year I had fun hitting some otherwise inaccessible low tides! :lol:

Good job pushing through. We had some ripped up dry sand areas after Irma but the wet sand was mushy and new. Was finding coins right on the surface while getting sandblasted by the TS force winds :roll::yes:

Super nice wheat cent. Man, hope you are okay and stay that way, sorry for you loss and challenges, persevere we must! Gold is there next time.

I tell you, we were all pretty worried there for a while...Last we saw, you were all prepared and kayaked up ready for the Storm surge...I'm sorry to hear you had more than the weather to deal with and wishing you some brighter days in your future.
Nice hunt and beach condition report Buddy! Glad to hear from you again!

I tell you, we were all pretty worried there for a while...Last we saw, you were all prepared and kayaked up ready for the Storm surge...I'm sorry to hear you had more than the weather to deal with and wishing you some brighter days in your future.
Nice hunt and beach condition report Buddy! Glad to hear from you again!

:laughing: Thanks for the laugh!

sorry to hear about your aunt and tough times. I find that detecting brings peace to me at times when I desperately need it! glad you got out!

My condolences to your family Felix. Hope the wheatie is symbolic of years of memories that you save and cherish. Good luck on the next one.

Back
Top Bottom