AT Pro Coil Upgrade

gfbohn

Guessing this has been covered so sorry in advance ...
Been here at the forum about a month but hunting for about for about 3.
Although still kind of new to the hobby ... wondering if a coil upgrade for my AT Pro is worth considering. I love the Pro but wondering if a coil upgrade would make it even better. Saw a few at Kelly Co for around $200. Or .... is the original coil a good quality and all I need.
Thanks.
Greg

I have the Nel Storm and the Nel Sharpshooter for the ATP and use them both, but find that I use the Sharpshooter more.

Bigger is nice if you do a lot of field detecting and there isn't a lot of trash. You cover more ground and do get deeper.

But if you do mainly parks and higher trash areas I'd recommend you go smaller, not bigger.

If your swinging the stock 8x11 coil, you would love the 5x8 coil. It's lighter and totally shines in trashy spots. It's great at seperating targets.

No coil out there is an instant success story , and if you don't hunt often then its possible to never see a difference no matter what coil you use.

Different sized coils are for different purposes , ....larger ones tend to get better depth but are more prone to target masking and lack of separation since they cover more ground and can be more likely to have multiple targets in the detection area. Smaller coils separate targets better and are easier to pinpoint with , but they usually aren't as deep. There is always a tradeoff , when you gain one thing you generally lose the other.

I find the 5x8 coil to be somewhat more accurate than the larger stock one and the depth isn't too bad , though its a little less than the stock coil. In trashy areas or dense targets , a smaller coil is the way to go. Where targets are more sparse the stock or larger coil may be good for a little extra depth. You can even go bigger than the stock coil for a little more depth , though as I mentioned the larger you go you lose separation and have more potential for target masking.

But its important to understand why different coils may be called for , and how they work. Its not as simple as switching out random coils for better performance , there is a method to the madness.

Back
Top Bottom