Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Show Me Treasure
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Make It or Fix It Yourself

Old 05-20-2017, 01:33 PM

Default Organize MDs in my vehicle

I carry my MDs and equipment in the back of my vehicle. Being retired gives me the flexibility to sometimes go MDing at a moments notice. I was getting tired of the mess and equipment flying around as I drive.

For about $25, I made a simple rack system that is very sturdy, and keeps the MDs and equipment up and out of the way.

2 adjustable shower curtain rods, 8 hose clamps, and 8 extension cords clamps.

The cooler always has water in it. I'm in the deep south, and H2O is another piece of equipment when MDing, LOL.

Before

After

Old 05-20-2017, 02:07 PM

A rifle rack for MDs. I like it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Old 05-20-2017, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chucktin View post
A rifle rack for MDs. I like it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Thanks!

Old 05-26-2017, 04:31 AM

Looks great but in our town putting them on display like that would only encourage someone to break into your car and steal them.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:32 AM

Nice job.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:29 PM
Elite Member

I keep it simple.

I got a free metal detecting back when I got my detector. I put my detector and all of my coils in it.

Then, I take one of those two compartment trunk organizers - In one compartment, I have a 5-gallon HD bucket with tool apron attached. In the little pouches, I have things like needle nose pliers, my pin pointer, spare pin pointer, pruning shears for stubborn roots, screwdriver for popping shallow targets, and my lesche (sadly, I lost my whites hand digger. I miss that thing).

In the other compartment, I have My finds pouch, headphones, battery chargers for my headphone AA's, my headlamp, etc. The Sampson lives under the detector bag.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:24 PM

I want something to organize my 2 detectors in the back of my truck, Im looking at the Ultra Seat Rack from Bass Pro Shop.

I know its a rifle rack but I think it will work.. I can also switch it to the back seat head rests so they are not right behind my seat..

Old 06-15-2017, 10:18 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by lafayettelauren View post
Looks great but in our town putting them on display like that would only encourage someone to break into your car and steal them.
The same with putting metal detecting decals or stickers on you car.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:26 AM
Elite Member

Thumbs down Set up to be stolen.

I agree no md stickers on truck, Nothing left in sight. Were I live in Cecil co MD, They will rob the eyes from a dead dog.Just the world we live in now days.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:58 PM
Supporter

When I got my ATP I had no where to put it other than in the back and with the amount of yard saleing and flea marketing my wife and I do I had to find a better way other than unloading and loading all the time. When I was hot into fishing I built a two drawer unit that fit in the back of the jeep to hold all the lure boxes I had. Well, I found out I could live easily with a small 3 box holder with a shoulder strap so I had taken it out. Long story short I bought the M@RS shaft and Z-lynk and the drawer unit went back in. Pouch, belt and harness with with extra coils and stuff go on the right and the collapsed detector goes on the left with the Z-lynk container and other stuff. Collapsed the unit is only 25 3/4 inches long and that's with the 5x8 on. Couple of 5 gallon buckets sit on top bungied to the side, one for the junk we find and the other to go dump picking. I did disconnect the electric lock in the back hatch so even if the jeeps broken into the locked hatch keeps the drawers from being opened. Nothing to grab onto to drag it towards the front and even then there wouldn't be enough room to open.
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2017, 05:53 PM
Elite Member

I place them on the floor with a blanket over them. However, for me, when no plans to detect, they stay in the garage. However, I might start keeping the F2 in the car for just in case situations.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:48 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ffgrizzley View post
When I got my ATP I had no where to put it other than in the back and with the amount of yard saleing and flea marketing my wife and I do I had to find a better way other than unloading and loading all the time. When I was hot into fishing I built a two drawer unit that fit in the back of the jeep to hold all the lure boxes I had. Well, I found out I could live easily with a small 3 box holder with a shoulder strap so I had taken it out. Long story short I bought the M@RS shaft and Z-lynk and the drawer unit went back in. Pouch, belt and harness with with extra coils and stuff go on the right and the collapsed detector goes on the left with the Z-lynk container and other stuff. Collapsed the unit is only 25 3/4 inches long and that's with the 5x8 on. Couple of 5 gallon buckets sit on top bungied to the side, one for the junk we find and the other to go dump picking. I did disconnect the electric lock in the back hatch so even if the jeeps broken into the locked hatch keeps the drawers from being opened. Nothing to grab onto to drag it towards the front and even then there wouldn't be enough room to open.
Nice job Marshall! Looks good!

☆2-Shield~14-V's~13-Buff☆